Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
My version of the Hobbit - If Tolkien wasn't a Christian, how one way it could have been different.

tolkienreborn
Bree

Dec 29 2012, 12:13am

Views: 366
Shortcut
My version of the Hobbit - If Tolkien wasn't a Christian, how one way it could have been different. Can't Post

If Tolkien wasn't Christian I believe the story of the hobbit would be a bit different or
if Tolkien in another dimension was writing the story - but not in the hero's Journey format. (I am using this as an example)

Here is my Long Summary version of the hobbit (written by a Dragon) or how I think it would have been different possibly.
Also showing you how you can write something and not have the hero's journey.

The beginning of the Hobbit wouldn't, change much the characters are introduced.
The story told to the Dwarfs and Gandalf to Bilbo would seem that they are after the
"Arkenstone" that the Dragon Smaug seem to have attracted too and took over lonely
mountain.

But as the story would go on - Bilbo would began to question and puzzle a mystery together that the
Arkenstone seems to be the cause of strange creatures appearing all over middle earth
Like the spiders, Trolls etc. I would have also introduced new creatures as well not found in
mythology to make things even more interesting.
As the story progress.. Bilbo learns from the elves that they don't seem to have any clue that Gandalf is actually after the stone. Gandalf continues to use the story, that he is only trying to get the homeland back from the dragon smaug and to return the land to the dwarves.

The Twist to the Story would be as the story progress's you find out that Gandalf is actually the
Antagonist to the story and wants the Arkenstone for himself.

As the story progress's biblo and the dwarves are unaware that they are being used to kill off the creatures as they get closer to the stone. The stone in the story would symbolise the elves magic falling apart due to this stone which would be draining the magic from middle earth. I think this would make more of an interesting problem.
(Also the one ring and Gollum would be the same introduction.)

When bilbo confronts Gollum and finds the ring - when he makes his way out escaping, he accidently breaks the ring destroying the ability for it to function.
Gandalf continues to make excuses and mysteriously dissapear during times where he is trying to track down the Arkenstone for himself. Yet the Dwarves start to question where Gandalf is running off to as does Bilbo. (I think the whole part where bilbo finds the key to the mountain to be really dumb.) So I would leave that part out and make it more like bilbo decides to run off to lonely mountain and finds a hidden backdoor entrance to the cave while Gandalf and the others are working on breaking down the main door to get at the treasure and the dragon Smaug. Bilbo confronts smaug and surprisingly bilbo finds out that Smaug isn't the enemy after all. Smaug has been guarding the Arekenstone and explains to bilbo the power of the arkenstone and why Gandalf wants it. So he can control all the magic of middle earth and that he dragon was sent to destroy the arkenstone. smaug has been looking to end the stones power and thought the one ring would be in the dwarves hoard - he describes a ring to bilbo, The one ring which would unlock the Arkenstone power - which bilbo unfortunatly damaged.

The One Ring.. The others gandalf and the dwarves break into smaug lair. Bilbo who knows the truth tries to protect Smaug and tells the dragon to warn the elves about gandalf intentions.

Bard shoots an arrow at Smaug trying to slay the dragon, Bilbo jumps infront of the arrow protecting Smaug who is able to escape and fly away.
Thorin runs over to the dieing Hobbit - Bilbo who tells thori of the big betrayal about Gandalf and that they are all being used by the once great wizard. Bilbo gives Thorin the ring and tells him he must not let gandalf get his hands on the ring or the Arkenstone.

(-Main Hero Dies- This usually never happens in a hero's journey - usually the hero ends up living - which doesn't make for much drama.)

(The battle between the orc's and humans, and elves continues over the hoard left by Smaug and also the Arkenstone. ) After the battle - Gandalf confronts the dwarves who now know his evil intentions. Gandalf almost wipes out all the elves as he shows his true form (which would described as a demonic looking Naga, Insect caterpillar looking creature with deep glowing white eyes and sinisiter grinning human sharp like teeth) . He tries to kill Thorin, but Smaug shows up and the two battle it out. Smaug falls to the ground as he gets tangled in a giant web that Gandalf creates, smacking smaug to the ground. Thorin almost finding himself weaponless pulls out Bilbo's sword "Sting" which he uses to ward off Gandalf as it blinds him. (very much like the spiders) Gandalf makes his retreat. Thorin runs over to Smaug but before he dies, Smaug breathes fire on the Arkestone sealing its power temporarly from the creatures who are after it diming its attractive light.

Smaug tells Thorin "The only way to destroy the Arkenstone is to repair the one ring by getting to the mountain which it was created, Mount Doom."
This also makes LOTR more interesting in my opinion being that bilbo son "Frodo" begins to learn the truth about his fathers death and that Gandalf was the one who killed him as Gandalf in his wizard form would use Frodo to get to the mountain - so the ring can be one again and Gandalf would have power of all the magic in middle earth with the stone. It would be interesting to see Gollum fighting for the ring and Frodo and Gandalf. Gandalf in the end would get the ring and being laughing in power. Then Frodo would toss the Arkenstone into Mount Doom. Gandalf would scream and suddenly find himself on fire and his finger would melt off letting the ring drop to the ground. Gandalf would fall back into the lava below. Course you know Gollum he would fight Frodo for the ring and fall off into the mountain as well wanting the ring and holding on to what was left of it.
This leads to more drama - only thing I wouldn't change is Gollum -his character works perfectly in the story as a trickster.
But I think of adding Gandalf as the true bad guy to the whole story would make more of a better villain choice and also throw the Hero's journey completely off. Cause in the Hero's Journey - the hero seems immortal and to me that makes a story less drama.
(It is nice to have different characters and hero's in a story and the story is less predictable if you don't know who is going to die or live.)

Making the serpent not an antagonist - like the serpent in the bible helping mankind by giving them knowledge - I think if mankind didn't gain knowledge they would be left in perfection. Which to many can be considered hell.
The Great Serpent Quetzalcoatl - who can be depicted as helping mankind or to some is considered very close to the story of Jesus.
He is also seen as a big feathered Serpent.

Again having the wise man be the bad guy throws off the Hero's Journey too.

How would you have written the story differently?

Subject User Time
My version of the Hobbit - If Tolkien wasn't a Christian, how one way it could have been different. tolkienreborn Send a private message to tolkienreborn Dec 29 2012, 12:13am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.