Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The hobbit has become the 10th biggest film of the year
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 28 2012, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 67 (1439 views)
Shortcut
The hobbit has become the 10th biggest film of the year Can't Post

with $562.8 mil worldwide

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 28 2012, 9:09pm

Post #2 of 67 (579 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good to me! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 9:10pm

Post #3 of 67 (633 views)
Shortcut
Needs to do double that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Before we can consider it reaching its potential.

* crunch *

Owain
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 9:19pm

Post #4 of 67 (623 views)
Shortcut
Here's a news link... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for those interested.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...bbit-reclaims-406744

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 28 2012, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 67 (586 views)
Shortcut
"Moonrise Kingdom" is in first place, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed closely by Brooklyn Castle and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, with The Bourne Legacy and Looper filling out the top five?

Those are the best 2012 films I've seen (so far, and I haven't seen many), and naturally one would expect quality and box office to go hand in hand.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Nine Finger Frodo
The Shire

Dec 28 2012, 9:25pm

Post #6 of 67 (582 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Boxoffice [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is fair to say that all the negative reviews have severely influenced the public's willingness to go and see this movie in theaters. Also, the fact that - looking back now - the marketing for this film was not as powerful as many of us would have suspected made many people unaware of the fact that the Hobbit was even made and coming to theaters. Yet, with a mere two weeks into its run, the Hobbit already has grossed 560 million dollars, which is pretty OK. Recent days have shown that it can withstand the competition of big other movies such as Les Miserables and Django Unchained, but the most important weeks are now coming for the Hobbit. The Fellowship of the Ring almost grossed 1/3 of its entire US boxoffice between Christmas and the end of January and considering that there are almost no big releases this January (except for Gangster Squad perhaps), the Hobbit could make another 75-100 million in the US alone, bringing its total close to that of the Fellowship. Worldwide it will be able to reach around 600 million, finishing around the 900 million mark. Everyone would have guessed the Hobbit could match the success of the Avengers, but that's impossible by now. I think we will see a steep increase of income with every movie coming out in this trilogy as many non-critics have shown to appreciate/like/love the movie.

Stairs of Cirith Ungol

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 9:27pm

Post #7 of 67 (571 views)
Shortcut
I guess it will finish in 5th [In reply to] Can't Post

With around $850 million. It can't really go any higher than 4th, as it would have to top Skyfall's $979 million. Similar to AUJ, Skyfall doesn't open in China until early next year.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 9:37pm

Post #8 of 67 (570 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

it has reclaimed its number 1 box office spot! i wouldn't be surprised if its number1 again this weekend. The negative reviews is why it didn't have a big start but now word of mouth about how the critics were wrong is starting to spread.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 9:44pm

Post #9 of 67 (536 views)
Shortcut
Les Miserables and Django Unchained are medium sized movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Recent days have shown that it can withstand the competition of big other movies such as Les Miserables and Django Unchained,

Nine Finger Frodo
The Shire

Dec 28 2012, 9:48pm

Post #10 of 67 (533 views)
Shortcut
Disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially a new Tarantino is a big event worldwide, so these are serious competitors for the Hobbit.

Stairs of Cirith Ungol

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 9:50pm

Post #11 of 67 (521 views)
Shortcut
Reviews don't have that much effect on opening weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

The numbers it is posting right now is pretty close to expectations, movies always do good business on holidays.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 9:58pm

Post #12 of 67 (494 views)
Shortcut
They are big events for moviebuffs. [In reply to] Can't Post

But not your average moviegoer. And he has more success in the US than anywhere else. They are medium sized hits. His biggest movie (unadjusted for inflation) was his last one, Inglourious Basterds, which made $120m domestically and $200m overseas. Most of his movies didn't even hit $200m worldwide.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 28 2012, 9:59pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 10:09pm

Post #13 of 67 (502 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. 10th biggest film of the year is hardly cause for celebration. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 10:11pm

Post #14 of 67 (480 views)
Shortcut
Sounds about the highest it will go... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's doing better this week than last week, but will probably descend again after the Holidays, by which point almost everyone who's going to go to it will have gone.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 10:13pm

Post #15 of 67 (526 views)
Shortcut
Well you need to consider [In reply to] Can't Post

that 1-9 have their total gross for their entire run. The Hobbit is only 2 weeks into its run and is already 10th.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 10:15pm

Post #16 of 67 (488 views)
Shortcut
How much does AUJ need to gross for in order for WB to make a profit? [In reply to] Can't Post

The combined budget for TH was estimated at about 500 million, (prior to advertising and next Summer's pick-up's, which aren't for Film 1 anyway), so if we figure AUJ was half of that, it cost about 250 million. That's prior to advertising...so at around 500 million worldwide, it's just broken even, or is close counting marketing costs...meaning that WB won't really start collecting profits from AUJ until around next week.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 10:17pm

Post #17 of 67 (468 views)
Shortcut
Let me know when it gets to 4-5. 8) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 10:28pm

Post #18 of 67 (468 views)
Shortcut
Only about half (roughly) of the box office goes to studios. [In reply to] Can't Post

So it would take the 2nd movie to start making a profit. But of course box office is only one revenue stream, there are others.

They will make a nifty profit, when all is said and done.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 10:44pm

Post #19 of 67 (452 views)
Shortcut
it's doing well [In reply to] Can't Post

nobody's pockets are gonna be hurting.

it still kinda mystifies me that The Avengers made as much money as it did. comic book fans unite, huh.

i mean, it's fun and all, but it's only marginally better than other Marvel comics movies and not nearly as good as Nolan's Batman movies or the first couple X-Men movies, and yet it just absolutely crushed all those box office records. demolished them. studios are really gonna be getting on the "superheroes teaming up" bandwagon i imagine. Justice League and all that. and endless sequels. they've probably already got the next five Avengers movies in the works.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 10:47pm

Post #20 of 67 (442 views)
Shortcut
i must have missed something with the Avengers marketing, too [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed average at best, certainly no better than The Hobbit's teasers, TV spots, and whatnot. maybe it was just the saturation level? like, it got to the point there people were like, "well, i guess i gotta go see that Avengers movie. everyone else in the world will have..."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 28 2012, 10:55pm

Post #21 of 67 (427 views)
Shortcut
If it hadn't been for Joss Whedon... [In reply to] Can't Post

...being the director, my interest would have been marginal at best. I liked the first Iron Man film a lot, but Marvel's other movies over the past couple years have been nothing terribly special (if still entertaining). But I'm a huge fan of Joss, so I was going to go see it no matter what.

Personally, I found The Avengers to be good, but not great - and I'm rather surprised it got such glowing reviews, whereas The Hobbit (which I think is a tremendously better film) got such mixed ones. I definitely don't think it deserved to become the 3rd biggest box office hit of all time. I'm not sure how that happened.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 28 2012, 11:04pm

Post #22 of 67 (438 views)
Shortcut
Avengers did well because [In reply to] Can't Post

5 films was basically leading up to it, and was hyped for around 4 years.

It's also the first time film superheroes shared the same big screen. Not only that the same actors who played them before played them in this film (For the most part) and it ended up being a fun film.

Everybody kept going on about how good a film it was. Thus more went to see it.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 11:09pm

Post #23 of 67 (417 views)
Shortcut
well if you think of The Avengers as the first of its kind [In reply to] Can't Post

for critics The Avengers was basically the first entry, despite all the Marvel movies leading up to it, whereas they view The Hobbit kind of like LotR 4: The Prequel and put it between a rock and a hard place of simultaneously capturing the spirit of the book and yet living up to the LotR movies. i think HFR had some negative impact, too, on the cineastes dedicated to the classic look of cinema (and i somewhat include myself in that statement, though i appreciate what HFR did for the 3D); also, Avengers is a movie that basically just tries to be big fun and is fairly clever and well-executed by current Hollywood standards, so for a critic to complain about it would make them look like a fuss-pot, whereas The Hobbit tries to be a little bit more than just fun and so that opens it up to more criticism about Bag End being boring and the movie being too slow but why can't it just be whimsical and charming like the book, nevermind that we just got done complaining about the parts of the movie that are most like the book, blah blah blah.

i definitely think it's a double standard that's being applied to The Hobbit. that there are a number of critics out there that state that a movie like Battleship is a better blockbuster than The Hobbit...i mean, that's some mind-boggling crap right there.

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 11:16pm

Post #24 of 67 (445 views)
Shortcut
Tenth isn't bad considering [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only 2-3 weeks into it's run, it isn't going to be the top movie of the year, being released in mid-December in most places, immediately. It's the tenth biggest film of the year, and it's only partway through it's run, that isn't it's final placement. It's final spot won't be known until it finishes it's run.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 12:03am

Post #25 of 67 (361 views)
Shortcut
All very accurate and astute. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of critics, subconciously perhaps, had The Hobbit in their cross hairs. For many reasons, a number of them went in looking for things to be wrong with it, and they quibbled about things they would have graciously overlooked and perhaps even praised in some other, less hyped, less tinkered with blockbuster, helmed by a director deemed to be more humble.

The Bag End scene was one of the best in the film. Charming, funny, enchanting, and at points poignant and powerful. Had the chilling Over Misty Mountains Cold been sung by a more human clan in Les Misarables, perhaps, and focused on an ancestral state overrun by the lackeys of Maximillian Robespeirre, it likely would have been mightily lauded. Genre films, often hammered for being two (or even one dimensional) action spasms, are often also hypocritically attacked for being excessive and pedantic when they step out of that box. The Hobbit has suffered more from that than most.

The bottom line is, many critics were not entirely fair to this movie, due in large part to a lot of factors that fell into place before the movie came out. They hammered it for things they would not have taken issue with in some other films, and they refused to give it any slack in areas where other films might have been given leeway.

But, what can you do?>

In Reply To
for critics The Avengers was basically the first entry, despite all the Marvel movies leading up to it, whereas they view The Hobbit kind of like LotR 4: The Prequel and put it between a rock and a hard place of simultaneously capturing the spirit of the book and yet living up to the LotR movies. i think HFR had some negative impact, too, on the cineastes dedicated to the classic look of cinema (and i somewhat include myself in that statement, though i appreciate what HFR did for the 3D); also, Avengers is a movie that basically just tries to be big fun and is fairly clever and well-executed by current Hollywood standards, so for a critic to complain about it would make them look like a fuss-pot, whereas The Hobbit tries to be a little bit more than just fun and so that opens it up to more criticism about Bag End being boring and the movie being too slow but why can't it just be whimsical and charming like the book, nevermind that we just got done complaining about the parts of the movie that are most like the book, blah blah blah.

i definitely think it's a double standard that's being applied to The Hobbit. that there are a number of critics out there that state that a movie like Battleship is a better blockbuster than The Hobbit...i mean, that's some mind-boggling crap right there.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.