Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug synopsis
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 28 2012, 6:00pm

Post #1 of 32 (1704 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug synopsis Can't Post

So my synopsis, eh?
PROLOGUE: Film will start off with Gandalf finding Thrain (probably not at Dol Godur) and Thrain foreshadowing the Necromancer and Smaug as great evil things, with the depiction of how the Necromancer revived Azog or something along those lines, then he gets the key.
ACT 1: The company walking down from the Carrock, meeting Beorn. This will reintroduce the characters and their quest. You meet the character of Beorn, and they stay there for a while. Azog and his gang will possibly ambush them but with Beorn they win, Thorin killing Azog which leads into the revenge of Bolg. This will take up about 20 minutes.
Gandalf leaves and we will follow him to Dol Godur, some White Council stuff will happen. Then we follow the rest of the Company through Mirkwood; the river, the deer's, then spiders. They will make this feel very magical and isolated, taking up about half an hour which is justified with all the material (Bilbo properly proving himself, Bombur poisoned, climbing the tree, montages of walking etc).
ACT 2: Then they're captured by the elves, taken to the halls. Here we meet a new culture, Legolas and Tauriel, get more stuff on Thranduil, tension between Elves and Dwarves. Montages of Bilbo stalking through the kingdom trying to free them, then the escape with the barrels. Another half an hour of film right there?
With Barrels being the midpoint, we will then cut to Gandalf and the White Council, doing some more stuff, Nazgul tombs possibly and Dol Godur exploration. Then Laketown and the King Under the Mountain returning, meeting the Master, developing Bard as a hero, new culture.
ACT 3:Then the desolation of Smaug, more possible flashbacks, entering the mountain. Bilbo meeting Smaug which will be great, stealing the Arkenstone, Smaug attacks mountain side; this will show the terror of the dragon. Smaug will be extended quite a bit, because all the marketing will be around him.
All that is a given, but this is where the speculation begins.
I think this is where we will get the actual assault on Dol Godur, capping that storyline off. This will act as the action climax. Meanwhile (possibly intercut) we get Smaug flying off to Laketown with the Dwarves playing in the gold whilst Bilbo is there worried about where the Dragons is gone.
The end? If the dragon doesn't die in DOS, and dies at the beginning of TABA, doing the trailers for TABA without spoiling anything could be tricky, so idk.
That's my thoughts :) your views?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 29 2012, 8:06am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 6:09pm

Post #2 of 32 (778 views)
Shortcut
regarding Thrain [In reply to] Can't Post

it now sounds like they are going to have Gandalf find Thrain in present time according to the latest interview with one of the writers...which i can't see working because Gandalf had his key in AUJ.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 28 2012, 6:09pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 28 2012, 6:14pm

Post #3 of 32 (724 views)
Shortcut
same here, [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps he meets Thrain twice in Dol Guldur?

First time, many years ago (without Glamdring), while exploring Dol Guldur he finds and fights Thrain, but ultimately Thrain gives him the key and map. At this point Gandalf doesn't know who he is or the significance of the key and map until Thorin mentions them.

Then he sees Thrain again in Dol Guldur? Hmmm, I don't know. Perhaps Thrain asks Gandalf if he gave the key and map to Thorin, then finally dies.

Crazy speculation!

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 6:17pm

Post #4 of 32 (716 views)
Shortcut
i could see that working [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe before Gandalf enters dol-guldur they flashback to him finding Thrain but here is the question....why did Gandalf act surprised when Radagast told him about the evil in dol-guldur??? i mean if he fought a zombie dwarf recently in dol-guldur wouldn't that not indicate there might be some evil there?? maybe they are reworking the plot in the films, i always wondered how the necromancer missed Thrain's key...

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

herzogian
Bree

Dec 28 2012, 6:21pm

Post #5 of 32 (685 views)
Shortcut
Movie / Book [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeez Louise, I dont understand anymore why I ever complained about the three movies. There's just so much to happen. I'm even worried there wont be enough time, knowing DOS and TABA will be shorter then AUJ.

People clearly dont understand that its impossible to make one movie out of one book, especially a epic fantasy novel. Episodes in the book that take only five sentences in the book can take fifteen minutes or more on the screen. You cant go through mirkwood in ten minutes, you have to get the feeling you're actualy there and this takes some time. This cant be done in a jiffy, it has to be handled carefully and with patience.

A movie clearly is just a very different thingy.

brucewayne
Bree

Dec 28 2012, 6:33pm

Post #6 of 32 (666 views)
Shortcut
Ok [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So my synopsis, eh?
PROLOGUE: Film will start off with Gandalf finding Thrain (probably not at Dol Godur) and Thrain foreshadowing the Necromancer and Smaug as great evil things, with the depiction of how the Necromancer revived Azog or something along those lines, then he gets the key.
ACT 1: The company walking down from the Carrock, meeting Beorn. This will reintroduce the characters and their quest. You meet the character of Beorn, and they stay there for a while. Azog and his gang will possibly ambush them but with Beorn they win, Thorin killing Azog which leads into the revenge of Bolg. This will take up about 20 minutes.
Gandalf leaves and we will follow him to Dol Godur, some White Council stuff will happen. Then we follow the rest of the Company through Mirkwood; the river, the deer's, then spiders. They will make this feel very magical and isolated, taking up about half an hour which is justified with all the material (Bilbo properly proving himself, Bombur poisoned, climbing the tree, montages of walking etc).
ACT 2: Then they're captured by the elves, taken to the halls. Here we meet a new culture, Legolas and Tauriel, get more stuff on Thranduil, tension between Elves and Dwarves. Montages of Bilbo stalking through the kingdom trying to free them, then the escape with the barrels. Another half an hour of film right there?
With Barrels being the midpoint, we will then cut to Gandalf and the White Council, doing some more stuff, Nazgul tombs possibly and Dol Godur exploration. Then Laketown and the King Under the Mountain returning, meeting the Master, developing Bard as a hero, new culture.
ACT 3:Then the desolation of Smaug, more possible flashbacks, entering the mountain. Bilbo meeting Smaug which will be great, stealing the Arkenstone, Smaug attacks mountain side; this will show the terror of the dragon. Smaug will be extended quite a bit, because all the marketing will be around him.
All that is a given, but this is where the speculation begins.
I think this is where we will get the actual assault on Dol Godur, capping that storyline off. This will act as the action climax. Meanwhile (possibly intercut) we get Smaug flying off to Laketown with the Dwarves playing in the gold whilst Bilbo is there worried about where the Dragons is gone.
The end? If the dragon doesn't die in DOS, and dies at the beginning of TABA, doing the trailers for TABA without spoiling anything could be tricky, so idk.
That's my thoughts :) your views?

Now what is going to happen in TABA? Smaug dies 10 minutes in and there's a big battle. Yay! No. That doesn't make sense! It doesn't make any sense to have the bulk of the Smaug content in the second movie, because you'll have a cramped movie and then a too far spread movie. I'd rather they fleshed out Beorn and Mirkwood, capping off the White Council storyline in this one too. Then for the third movie, you have much of the Smaug storyline and the battle of the Five Armies.

But I do like your idea of Azog getting killed early in this one, we get to see a bit of Beorn's power too.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 29 2012, 8:06am)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 28 2012, 6:36pm

Post #7 of 32 (673 views)
Shortcut
that's the flaw in my reasoning, [In reply to] Can't Post

unless it were so long ago, and Gandalf never saw the Necromancer/Sauron but felt evil there, thinking it might be a Nazgul. Radagast's actually seeing something (a Necromancer) would have surprised Gandalf then, and so he goes back to Dol Guldur and realizes it is Sauron. That would instigate the White Council's attack on Dol Guldur.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 28 2012, 6:37pm

Post #8 of 32 (700 views)
Shortcut
There's a lot more than just the BO5A after ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now what is going to happen in TABA? Smaug dies 10 minutes in and there's a big battle. Yay! No. That doesn't make sense! It doesn't make any sense to have the bulk of the Smaug content in the second movie, because you'll have a cramped movie and then a too far spread movie. I'd rather they fleshed out Beorn and Mirkwood, capping off the White Council storyline in this one too. Then for the third movie, you have much of the Smaug storyline and the battle of the Five Armies.

But I do like your idea of Azog getting killed early in this one, we get to see a bit of Beorn's power too.

The death of Smaug. There's everything to do with the White Council and the wrap of that sub-plot, Bilbo and the Arkenstone, the Dwarves getting ready for war (going to Dale etc.), the Elves and Men uniting, marching of Goblins, and then the battle.

I don't think it's that unreasonable.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 28 2012, 6:38pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 28 2012, 7:01pm

Post #9 of 32 (645 views)
Shortcut
not to mention [In reply to] Can't Post

most likely a solid 30 min+ post climax. Bilbo returning home, hobbits selling his stuff etc.

adnan
Rivendell

Dec 28 2012, 7:50pm

Post #10 of 32 (568 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is so much that will occur before we get to Smaug (second movie's title)...I fear that Smaug and his domain will only get about 40 min of screen-time...which seems unfair given the movie's title. Wr already heard from Philipa that the 2nd movie will likely be shorter than the first. Seems like Beorn, Mirkwood,Woodland Elves Lake-town, and the Necromancer story-line will take close to 2 hurs at least! Very curious to see how they pull this off.

Rivendell

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 8:36pm

Post #11 of 32 (559 views)
Shortcut
it also could be.... [In reply to] Can't Post

we are reading into Gandalf's reaction to Radagast Dol-Guldur story, Gandalf still could have suspected evil there but than when Radagast told that story Gandalf realized he had to bring it to the white council. Its not like Gandalf told Radagast; "you have to be kidding me! dol-guldur is a peaceful place!".

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 28 2012, 8:36pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 28 2012, 8:46pm

Post #12 of 32 (535 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. His response was full of apprehension, but not doubt. [In reply to] Can't Post

He does not dismiss it out of hand the way Saruman does, nor does he attempt to downplay it. The look on the face and the tone of voice is one of "oh Dear. . . wasn't the evil supposed to have deserted that place? You're going to tell me that it hasn't, aren't you. . .and I am not particularly surprised."

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 8:51pm

Post #13 of 32 (509 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

will be interesting to see how the whole subplot plays out in DOS. I want to see that flashback really bad though...

Frodo Lives
The Shire

Dec 28 2012, 9:12pm

Post #14 of 32 (499 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Gandalf only goes to Dol Guldur only once, and meets/fights Thrain only once? As for continuity with his sword - it's a "fright" scene - Thrain jumps him and Gandalf drops his sword. It's happened in every LOTR film.
As for getting the key from Thrain, perhaps we never see that happen. Maybe it happened years before, and Gandalf sees him at Dol Guldur for the first time since.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 9:31pm

Post #15 of 32 (488 views)
Shortcut
that would be a huge plothole [In reply to] Can't Post

if we never see or learn how Gandalf gets the key, Gandalf getting the key is what launches the entire story of all three films!!!

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 28 2012, 9:52pm

Post #16 of 32 (486 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood and Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mirkwood sequence should be very promising. I hope Thorin and company get lost for what seems a long time. I have always enjoyed dark enchanted forests and if DoS can capture the mystery and sense of isolation found in the book I will be quite content.

Lakewood should be nice to see onscreen as well. I look forward to seeing how PJ and Boyens and Walsh play Thranduil and Bard together. It may not be on the scale of the Last Alliance but at least we see a chance where even the Sindar (mostly Avari or Laiquendi) join forces with mankind.

Does anyone think we will see Thranduil or Legolas (he was shown with Bard) descent into Laketown with a company of Mirkwood Elves or will we see this type of diplomacy happen in TABA?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 10:22pm

Post #17 of 32 (460 views)
Shortcut
IMO a movie devoted entirely to the BoFA (and its build-up and resolution) sounds terrible... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a reason the Battle of Pelennor Fields wasn't its own movie...because it's not a story, in and of itself. And having BoFA being the centerpiece of an entire also runs the risk of the audience suffering from battle fatigue by about half-way through.

Then again, it seems all the more likely that this will be the case, given that apparently the destruction of Laketown is in Film 2, and one of the working titles for Film 3 this Summer was "The Hobbit: The Battle of Fives Armies".

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 28 2012, 10:29pm

Post #18 of 32 (462 views)
Shortcut
We'll have a clearer picture once we know how DOS will turn out [In reply to] Can't Post

There are plenty of options and different structures they could go for (and that's not including any plot points we don't know about).

On a different note, I don't like the term "battle fatigue". I've never experienced it, and I'd quite happily have a film dedicated to the BO5A! Tongue

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Dec 28 2012, 10:34pm

Post #19 of 32 (448 views)
Shortcut
WELL, it's very possible actually. [In reply to] Can't Post

All lotr films have a prologue, AUJ did, so I expect TABA and DOS will too.
For TABA, this could be the history of Laketown and Bard's family line and how they got knocked over by Smaug. 7+ minutes.
ACT 1: The aftermath of Dol Godur first, with Gandalf starting to travel back. Then we rewind time a bit, to back when the Dwarves first came to Laketown, but see it all in Bards point of view and follow him around, developing his character for TABA. Smaug attacks Laketown! This will be extended I'm sure, and will easily take up 20 minutes. The dragon is dead! The Master sets everyone up against the Dwarves and blaims them. We now go to Bilbo and the crew, still hiding in the mountain. The crow then tells them everything and they come back down.
ACT 2: Thorin gets dragonsickness, gets corrupt, reclaims Erebor properly, threat of Bolg rises, Arkenstone trouble, Dain coming, Gandalfs return, Thorin hating Biblo, ownership of the gold, Bard and Thranduil, more tension with the Elves and Men etc. All this could easily take up around 60-90 mins.
ACT 3: Battle of 5 Armies! Here you have all the characters previously set up fighting, with all their fates, hero moments, and character arcs ending along with all the gold business ending too. This could take maybe 45 minutes? I'm sure there will be more stuff like the Necromancer joining the battle or something that could take up more time. Thorin dies, his funeral. Bilbo travels back home. All the bridging in with LOTR like Sauron going to Mordor, the hunt for Gollum, Balin returning to Moria.
There's definetly enough :)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 29 2012, 8:14am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2012, 10:34pm

Post #20 of 32 (434 views)
Shortcut
Sorry you're not a fan of the term [In reply to] Can't Post

However, have you seen "The Avengers" by chance? I don't like 45 minutes of CGI monsters and characters in silly outfits smashing into each other and bellowing. Here's hoping PJ doesn't repeat said formula. AngelicTongue

I'm not sure what other stories could still be going on in TABA, though I suppose there could be more White Council/Necromancer stuff as Silvester McCoy seems to think Raddy appears in Film 3...

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 28 2012, 10:38pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 28 2012, 10:56pm

Post #21 of 32 (405 views)
Shortcut
No, I've not seen it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming the battle is 30 mins, I don't think anyone could get bored, simply because it is so exciting, complex and "epic".

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 28 2012, 10:58pm

Post #22 of 32 (405 views)
Shortcut
Not to Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo getting frightened and dropping his sword is understandable. In the novel Legolas and Gimli drop there weapons in despair and terror. . . because a BALROG is approaching. If Gandalf doesn't drop his sword when the Demon of Moria leaps towards him, I don't see him dropping it for Thrain. Centuries of combat have likely honed his instincts to NOT drop weapons every time something startling happens. lol

In Reply To
...that Gandalf only goes to Dol Guldur only once, and meets/fights Thrain only once? As for continuity with his sword - it's a "fright" scene - Thrain jumps him and Gandalf drops his sword. It's happened in every LOTR film.
As for getting the key from Thrain, perhaps we never see that happen. Maybe it happened years before, and Gandalf sees him at Dol Guldur for the first time since.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

callumtaylor90
The Shire

Dec 28 2012, 11:30pm

Post #23 of 32 (394 views)
Shortcut
Very Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting synopsis!

Enlighten me; in which literary work do we get most of the story telling about Dol Guldur?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 28 2012, 11:30pm

Post #24 of 32 (393 views)
Shortcut
So do I! and I'm convinced even more [In reply to] Can't Post

that Gandalf visits Dol Guldur twice. First time, no Glamdring, meets Thrain and gets key and map. Second time, with Glamdring, may or may not meet Thrain again.

I think the discussion also was focusing on Gandalf's reaction to Radagast's news, and there are some good thoughts on this. Thanks!

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 29 2012, 12:47am

Post #25 of 32 (371 views)
Shortcut
I think the climax of the Smaug thread is far better suited to Film 3... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's a reason the Battle of Pelennor Fields wasn't its own movie...because it's not a story, in and of itself. And having BoFA being the centerpiece of an entire also runs the risk of the audience suffering from battle fatigue by about half-way through.

Do we know for sure that the destruction of Lake Town is in Film 2? Because what you say here is absolutely true. There's not enough forward dynamic in the tale, not enough narrative if Film 3 is dedicated solely to the Bo5A.

And I can't see Smaug's outrage / Smaug's destruction of Lake Town / Smaug's death at the hands of Bard (hopefully!) being separated by six months and in two different films. Surely these three need to be in the same film?

Which is why I'm increasingly beginning to think that Film 3 will claim these events (due to the need for more narrative) and Film 2 will end simply with Bilbo coming face to face with Smaug. If Film 2 does claim them, it'll be absolutely enormous and have to hurtle through its narrative at break-neck pace leaving Film 3 to feel sedentary by comparison.

PS Hmm, just re-read; have I explained myself clearly?

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.