Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
In which Magpie gives Denny's one more try...

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 7:29pm

Post #1 of 14 (397 views)
Shortcut
In which Magpie gives Denny's one more try... Can't Post

Some of you might remember that I had, in the past, had such poor experiences with Denny's restaurants that I had vowed to never step foot in one again.

The question arose: would I go back on that vow to give the Hobbit meals a try?

Well, my husband had a procedure that require a 24 hour fast and when he was done he wanted breakfast so I suggested Denny's.

I ordered the Hobbit Hole breakfast (I think that's what it was called) and when it came, I asked... hey, am I supposed to get a trading card with this?

The answer was, No... the waitress had never heard of any trading card and no one had ever asked for one.

I responded, uh... yes. There are supposed to be trading cards. Look it up on the internet. But that's okay, I guess.

She said she'd ask her manager and came back with the answer that this location had opted to not get the trading cards to give out. So they'd never had any.

The meal wasn't terrible. It was luke warm and never made me go 'yum'. The bacon was half the width shown in this picture. They were out of ketchup.

The waitress was pleasant and the coffee was hot.

I won't be going back. :-/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

geordie
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2012, 7:41pm

Post #2 of 14 (247 views)
Shortcut
That breakfast looks awful - [In reply to] Can't Post

(quote) "The waitress was pleasant and the coffee was hot.

I won't be going back."

Now, if those two were the other way round, I'd be beating a path to my nearest Denny's -

*wonders where my nearest Denny's might be...

Tongue

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 14 (243 views)
Shortcut
At least the waitress was pleasant [In reply to] Can't Post

That can make all the difference.

I've not had Denny's since probably 2001 (on a family vacation that I was barely old enough to remember) and your review is not making me want to go back.

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 8:07pm

Post #4 of 14 (235 views)
Shortcut
to be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

there have been lots of positive and even raving reviews for Denny's here. It's frankly the only reason I decided to give it another try.

I suspect that this is franchise issue. For many chains like this, some restaurants are owned by corporate office and some are owned by franchise owners. These individual franchise owners can sometimes run things pretty badly.

And if a franchise owner owns all the restaurants in that chain in a large geographical area, it won't matter how far you go. You've got the same mindset running the restaurant.

Also, I live in a largish metropolitan area where different areas/cities have different demographics. The Target store in the pleasant suburb of Apple Valley is 10 times nicer than the Target in the inner city of Minneapolis. This Denny's is not in an upscale area and it's attached to a motel near the airport and Mall of America. That means that it will have an ever changing clientele that are going there out of convienence and won't be back whether they loved it or not. So there's almost no incentive to have things all spic and span and hot and 'as advertised'.

The Denny's near you may be functioning on a completely different level.

But, my poor experiences with Denny's has not been confined to this city. We've traveled the US and Denny's has never been high on our 'must visit' list no matter where we were.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 8:10pm

Post #5 of 14 (238 views)
Shortcut
I've had awful. [In reply to] Can't Post

it wasn't awful. But it wasn't anything I actually enjoyed eating. It was food.

I had to think about that 'other way round' to get at the laugh.

lol.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 27 2012, 8:30pm

Post #6 of 14 (230 views)
Shortcut
Denny's has never been my top choice to eat at, [In reply to] Can't Post

I have memories of my grandmother taking us there. She liked the fact she could smoke there (ugh!), although she passed away before they made it non-smoking. The food was high in sodium and calories, and I never liked it much.

Luckily we had a pleasant experience when my hubby, daughter & I went a couple of weeks ago to try the Hobbit menu. My daughter loved the Gandalf Gobble Melt (although the name reminded her more of Gollum), and brought her leftovers home to eat for lunch the next day. I ate all the Shire Sausage Skillet Meal, hot and flavorful (still too much sodium though). I forgot what the hubby ate, but he ordered off the regular menu, not the Hobbit one :(

We had to ask a couple of times for our trading cards, but at least they had them. They also had coupons for our next meal, and may consider going back before they expire. I still think Denny's was an interesting choice for the Hobbit meals, but at least it wasn't McDonalds (Crazy).

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 14 (221 views)
Shortcut
To be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never lived near a Denny's that I can remember. I've always lived in small (and often rural) towns. So I've only been that one time that I can remember, and I've no inclination to travel just to find one. If I want to get some breakfast, I'll just head to McDonalds or if I'm feeling classy, I'll go to Bob Evans. Smile

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 9:52pm

Post #8 of 14 (223 views)
Shortcut
hey... I loved my Burger King toys! [In reply to] Can't Post

when I left, I had something in my hand.

I had the privilege this time of eating so-so food with the word 'Hobbit' in its name.

I'll take the toy. (I also have goblets but they were all purchased at thrift stores. Although, so were most of the toys! :-P )

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 27 2012, 10:25pm

Post #9 of 14 (202 views)
Shortcut
I don't eat at Burger King, but [In reply to] Can't Post

one of my friends gave me a Pippin :)

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 28 2012, 12:51am

Post #10 of 14 (203 views)
Shortcut
Our Burger king let us buy the toys without the meals. [In reply to] Can't Post

We got a complete ring of figures, and two sets of goblets, all of which we still have :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 28 2012, 1:32am

Post #11 of 14 (197 views)
Shortcut
No trading cards? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's the pits! Unsure

I commend you for giving it a try! What did your husband have?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 28 2012, 2:20am

Post #12 of 14 (205 views)
Shortcut
french toast with sausage... no Middle-earth name... [In reply to] Can't Post

of course "French" toast wouldn't be a Middle-earth dish.

:-p

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 28 2012, 2:21am)

Randraug
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 1:05am

Post #13 of 14 (157 views)
Shortcut
I actually really enjoyed the Hobbit menu.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....mostly because my younger cousins and myself spent the whole meal making jokes and giggling about the whole thing (can I get some more Gandalf the Gravy please?).

But also, the 'seed cakes,' which were poppyseed french toast, were pretty yummy, as were the pumpkin pancakes. I kind of want to go back and try Radagast's Red Velvet Puppies. Mostly because I just want to say that to the waiter.

"There's nothing wrong with being a loser, it just depends on how good you are at it."
~BJA~

Proud supporter of men who wear eyeliner.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 7:20pm

Post #14 of 14 (144 views)
Shortcut
The Dennys vary hugely in quality... [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't surprise me that you had a mediocre time of it. Most in our area are incompetently run and staffed.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.