Hobbit Box Office
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 27 2012, 3:58pm

Post #1 of 43 (2103 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Box Office Can't Post

According to boxoffice.com, the Hobbit netted another 11 million in North America bringing its total to just shy of 180 million. It should easily pass the the 200 million mark this weekend, maybe around 210-215 million and be around 550-600 million world wide. Not bad for the first 17 days of release. I still think it has possible potential for 300 million North America and in the billion dollar range world wide before it exits the theaters.

https://twitter.com/boxoffice

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2012, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 43 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Solid, all things considered. [In reply to] Can't Post

The potential for $300m domestic / $1b worldwide has always been there, though i have been sceptical about the latter especially. It seems to have opened big in Australia yesterday, that will certainly help.

I believe you are being too conservative in your projection for this week. It should be around $650m worldwide by end of the weekend ($225 domestic / $425m international).

Owain
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2012, 5:18pm

Post #3 of 43 (1006 views)
Shortcut
It's doing fine... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think you're right... it has potential for those kinds of numbers.

I went again yesterday and one showing I went to was sold out and the one I got into was completely full (not sure if sold out because I got a ticket).

My friends who haven't seen it yet have stated that they are going to especially since the audience review has been positive.

My brothers love Lord of the Rings but haven't had time to go see it because of job and family commitments but they both have said they will see it.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 43 (982 views)
Shortcut
It's doing just fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

It will soon surpass The Hunger Games. That much-hyped movie did well in US cinemas, but had an abysmal run worldwide. The Hobbit will easily surpass with more than 100-200 million it before this is over. And it still has not opened in Poland and China. Those markets are not huge (well, China is, but I don't know if the average Chinese care much for Tolkien) but they should add some at least.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2012, 5:25pm

Post #5 of 43 (953 views)
Shortcut
I'm going with a friend sometime in the beginning of the New Year, [In reply to] Can't Post

and Norwegian ticket prices are among the most expensive Wink
This will be my third viewing Smile

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Dec 27 2012, 5:26pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 5:28pm

Post #6 of 43 (944 views)
Shortcut
I'm going a third time as well [In reply to] Can't Post

And the ticket prices are pretty bad here too (paid 175 crowns for the midnight showing in HFR 3D)

175 SEK = 26,92 USD = 150,12 NOK

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 5:31pm

Post #7 of 43 (948 views)
Shortcut
27 US dollars? [In reply to] Can't Post

Holy crap! I paid $5 for my ticket to the midnight premiere Unimpressed

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 5:32pm

Post #8 of 43 (924 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

It's messed up, beyond words. I don't know how they can keep upping the ticket prices and get away with it, but they can apparantly Crazy

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 5:33pm

Post #9 of 43 (913 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I only went to a 2D 24fps showing in a small town, but still, even when I plan to go see it in HFR I don't expect to pay more than 12 or 13 dollars.

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 27 2012, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 43 (914 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

this weekend I will be seeing it for a third and fourth time...first in Dolby Atmos and then at the IMAX...so that should help with numbers.

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 27 2012, 5:39pm

Post #11 of 43 (876 views)
Shortcut
SF [In reply to] Can't Post

SF (the Swedish cinema owners) does not have any real competition, so they can pretty much dream up any price they want as long as the audience are willing to pay for it. And with movies like The Hobbit, they apparently can get away with it!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2012, 5:51pm

Post #12 of 43 (863 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it is expensive... [In reply to] Can't Post

I only pay 110 NOK (19.7$ / 128.5 SEK) for 2D viewings, but I see the 3D HFR tickets are 160 NOK (28.6$ / 187 SEK)...

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Dec 27 2012, 5:52pm)

IDLookout
Rivendell

Dec 27 2012, 6:18pm

Post #13 of 43 (846 views)
Shortcut
Ticket Prices [In reply to] Can't Post

The fluctuation in ticket prices and the number of theatres, let alone rising inflation, is exactly why the term "Gross Box Office" is pretty much meaningless. I really wish they would just count tickets sold.

Every couple of years, a new movie breaks Box Office Records... lol

Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
He's only three feet tall.
Bilbo, Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins,
The bravest little hobbit of them all.

-Leonard Nimoy

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 7:37pm

Post #14 of 43 (863 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit just passed 500 million [In reply to] Can't Post

Domestic: $179,663,000 34.3% + Foreign: $344,000,000 65.7%
= Worldwide: $523,663,000

ashonmytomatoes
Bree

Dec 27 2012, 7:59pm

Post #15 of 43 (724 views)
Shortcut
One of the few perks [In reply to] Can't Post

of living in suburban Louisiana is that I can go to a matinee for $7.50 US. I hope to make a 4th viewing before I go back to work Jan 2.

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 27 2012, 8:20pm

Post #16 of 43 (819 views)
Shortcut
Not bad for a flop [In reply to] Can't Post

that has only been out 2 weeks. It moved into 2nd place in North America Wednesday moving ahead of Django Unchained.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Dec 27 2012, 8:26pm

Post #17 of 43 (718 views)
Shortcut
The list adjusted for inflation [In reply to] Can't Post

..is what really matters.

I doubt any movie will ever beat Gone With The Wind.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 27 2012, 8:38pm

Post #18 of 43 (767 views)
Shortcut
some stats [In reply to] Can't Post

currently 11th out of the year at $523.7 mil

if it makes the same amount today as it has past few days will be in the top 10 by tomorrow

8th biggest prequel state side

15th biggest fantasy film

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Dec 27 2012, 8:44pm

Post #19 of 43 (758 views)
Shortcut
It's actually a few million ahead of where Fellowship was at this time in its' release.// [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 9:01pm

Post #20 of 43 (673 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Not in this case, I bet. WB made an investment and it seems to be paying off just fine. Nobody is expecting Gone With The Wind numbers.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2012, 9:08pm

Post #21 of 43 (664 views)
Shortcut
I bet if... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they would destroy every TV in the world, ban internet and games, some movie might have come close to Gone with the Wind. Wink

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 27 2012, 9:27pm

Post #22 of 43 (648 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

The showing I went to on the 26th was packed, while those before Christmas were lighter. Most of my friends/family have had to wait until after Christmas Day because they didn't have the time to go. Interestingly, many of them planned to wait an see Les Miz on video, but planned to see Hobbit at 48 fps because it's an "event."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 27 2012, 10:12pm

Post #23 of 43 (667 views)
Shortcut
AUJ smashes Australia's box office record for Boxing Day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has scored the highest box office of any film on Boxing Day in Australia, drawing in $5,925,000. His Middle-earth films also hold the top four spots for Boxing Day box office, with AUJ followed by Return of the King, The Two Towers and Fellowship of the Ring respectively.

When it comes to the largest opening day in Australia on any day of the year, AUJ ranks third behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and The Avengers.

The story (below) goes on to say that the long running time of the movie (with fewer sessions in a day resulting in fewer tickets being sold) has been balanced out by people selecting higher-priced tickets for Gold Class viewings, so that they are in more comfort for the long film.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/8123657/Hobbit-smashes-Boxing-Day-record

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 10:15pm

Post #24 of 43 (673 views)
Shortcut
Longer runtime = fewer tickets [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never understood this point. If people want to go see a film, they're going to go see it when's it's shown. Perhaps I'm just being naive, but I don't think fewer times the film is available really has anything to do with fewer tickets sold. It's not as if most of those showing sell out. I have only once been to a film where the theater was packed, and that was a midnight showing of a film.

TheCoon
Lorien

Dec 28 2012, 1:18am

Post #25 of 43 (564 views)
Shortcut
WHOO!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

im going again new years day at the same theater as last time hopefully this will finally end the idotic conspiracy theories about warner demanding drastic alterations to the other 2 films now

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.