Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Which worlds would you like fantasy cinema to visit next?

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 7:49pm

Post #1 of 18 (226 views)
Shortcut
Which worlds would you like fantasy cinema to visit next? Can't Post

It's an exciting time at present for Tolkien fans with the release of the first Hobbit film. But AUJ does mark the "beginning of the end" for Jackson's adventures in Middle Earth (and maybe for Tolkien films for a long while). It's got me wondering where fantasy cinema will go next...

Now I don't mean what's the next superhero comic book adaptation, or indeed what's the next film in established franchises (Star Trek, Star Wars...). I mean what's the next fantasy film that will push the boundaries of cinema and the imagination, win oscars, and change popular culture like LotR did.

Have you read a brilliant fantasy series that deserves a cinema adaptation? Does a previous mediocre cinema adaptation deserve a reboot (e.g. Dune, Dark Materials)? Or are there current fantasy series like Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games that are showing the way forward for fantasy cinema?

(This post was edited by burrahobbit on Dec 26 2012, 7:50pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 26 2012, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 18 (113 views)
Shortcut
Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see what can be done with the Kingdom and Ancelstierre, and the Abhorsens keeping the Dead from crossing over to the Living. (And I see there's going to be a fourth book, due out next year!)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 27 2012, 9:08am

Post #3 of 18 (115 views)
Shortcut
Prydain [In reply to] Can't Post

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. After Lord of the Rings, this is my favorite fantasy series and I keep hoping for a film version. Unfortunately, it's somewhat lesser known and studios may be wary of multi-part adaptations of an unknown property.

All I have is Disney's version of The Black Cauldron, which was very disappointing. There were changes to the story, cutesy Disney-style fairies instead of eerie Welsh Fair Folk, weirdly inappropriate humor involving a busty witch, etc. I'd love to see a live action adaptation with a more serious, Welsh mythology-inspired vibe.

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Dec 27 2012, 9:16am

Post #4 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
Temeraire! [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson bought the rights to Naomi Novik's wonderful 'Temeraire' novels years ago and I'm still hoping that Peter will get around to making a film or a TV series.I love Temeraire Smile

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 27 2012, 10:11am

Post #5 of 18 (90 views)
Shortcut
Oh MAN that would be SWEET [In reply to] Can't Post

YES that would be so, so cool. I love Nix's fantasy world. I love the way he portrays magic, and also fantasy-zombies and necromancers are so badass. Such a great series. I originally thought it was going to be some kind of George RR Martin derivative, because both series have a big wall that separates the non-magical from the magical, but when I actually read it, the similarities are only superficial. It would be such a beautiful film or TV/mini series!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 3:00pm

Post #6 of 18 (110 views)
Shortcut
I can think of several [In reply to] Can't Post

Just for starters:

1. Michael Moorcock's Melnibone and the Young Kingdoms.

2. Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

3. The Valley of Jeff Smith's Bone series.

4. Fritz Leiber's world of Nehwon, especially the cith of Lankhmar.

5. I'll second the vote for a better adaptation of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 27 2012, 4:08pm

Post #7 of 18 (110 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like I've got some fantasy reading to catch up on! I haven't read most of the suggestions in this thread...

I think both Moorcock and Pratchett have a satiric element in their fantasy that resulted in part as a response to Tolkien's work, as well as other fantasy writers. I'm more familiar with Discworld. Novels like Mort and Guards! Guards! could be translated into very entertaining fantasy films if given the right treatment, and I think would feel like a cinematic progression from Tolkien.

The culture novels by Iain M Banks are another fantasy universe that intrigues me, particularly Inversions and Use of Weapons. Might be a bit of a stretch for the cinema though.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 7:19pm

Post #8 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see "The Dark is Rising" done right. [In reply to] Can't Post

My memory has drawn a merciful curtain over that movie, except for my acute disappointment.

I'd also love to see the Oz books as serious movies. "Return to Oz" came close, except for that unnecessarily dark beginning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 7:25pm

Post #9 of 18 (78 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see "A Wizard of Earthsea" done right [In reply to] Can't Post

And "The Left Hand of Darkness" because I've always loved it, and because I would like to see a futuristic movie where you don't know what gender people are. For both these books, they'd have to cast mostly brown-skinned people & I'd like to see that too, as I think in the future people will be more . . . blended.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 7:32pm

Post #10 of 18 (69 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'd like to see that too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 27 2012, 7:32pm

Post #11 of 18 (75 views)
Shortcut
I think what sets this fantasy/horror series apart [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it's written by an Australian. I equate Aussie writing more with surreal comedy and Kiwi writing with darkness and brooding. For an Australian to tackle such dark themes was refreshing, and his take on the world of Death and of Charter vs free magic is unique.

I love that his strongest characters are young women - and yet the men aren't relegated to minor roles, either.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 8:29pm

Post #12 of 18 (86 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should have read, "city of Lankhmar".

I will also add my vote to more Earthsea.

In addition, I really want a movie (or film series) set on the World of Two Moons from Wendy and Richard Pini's ElfQuest.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Dec 27 2012, 11:05pm

Post #13 of 18 (76 views)
Shortcut
Here's my nominees: [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

The Landover books by Terry Brooks

"In Older Worlds" by Robert Goble (a recent serial that sets a dark fantasy in an 80s nostalgia environment. The last installment hasn't come out yet but I think it shows a lot of promise)

Speaking of 80s nostalgia, I think they should try re-doing "Back to the Future" and have somebody take a time machine from 2015 back to 1985.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 28 2012, 7:51am

Post #14 of 18 (143 views)
Shortcut
I can think of a few [In reply to] Can't Post

The Pern series being the first to come to mind. I'll also add my vote to Aunt Doras for The Dark is Rising to be done correctly.

Would love to see Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series and the Elenium and the Tamuli series by David Eddings. Also the Tower and the Hive series by Anne McCaffrey and the Darwath trilogy by Barbara Hambly

There's a strong rumour that a revamp on Dune is set for release in 2014, but it's been floating around for a while, so we'll see.

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

acheron
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 1:16am

Post #15 of 18 (70 views)
Shortcut
There was no Dark is Rising movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever that movie was, wasn't it. Wink

Totally agree by the way, though I wonder if it might work better on BBC-style TV.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 1:42am

Post #16 of 18 (69 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see a BBC TV version. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really love their Narnia adaptations, and their Pratchett. I think they'd do a great job with The Dark is Rising.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 11:13pm

Post #17 of 18 (64 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how Pern would work. [In reply to] Can't Post

The dragons would be great to look at on screen, but the the mating scenes would be rather awkward - what's going on with the Riders would have to be shown as it's a crucial part of the story - and you can't really take that out without changing the plot drastically, as quite a bit of it deals with the drama of whether or not the Dragon's matings are going to match up with the romantic connections of their Riders, what with the Queen's Riders forced to do deed the deed with the Rider of her Queen's choice like it or not.

I'd love to see Zelazny's first Amber series on screen, provided the casting of Corwin and Random are great and everyone else is good. The cast would be fairly large, but that cost would be mitigated by the fact that as far as I remember there would be relatively few expensive special effects compared to other fantasies. Just a plain fun and sometimes even moving story of backstabbing family politics, with a few great cliffhangers at the end of some of the books.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 4:45pm

Post #18 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
Roshar from The Way of Kings [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Way of Kings" is a pretty recent book by Brandon Sanderson. The entire world is evocative and the characters are strong. There are so many elements in the book that I haven't read about in any other fantasy series. Like LOTR, you get so attached to the characters that you root for them...well, I do that. They only problem is that it's over a thousand pages in a series of ten(the other nine haven't even been released yet). Not exactly movie material.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.