Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All right. Knowing one if not all 9 Nazgul are in. . . any hopes/chance of seeing Gandalf battle past them as in the LOTR novel?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 26 2012, 2:13am

Views: 739
Shortcut
All right. Knowing one if not all 9 Nazgul are in. . . any hopes/chance of seeing Gandalf battle past them as in the LOTR novel? Can't Post

in his exploration of Dol Guldur? Peter has shown himself, thankfully, more willing to display a greater degree of Gandalf's magic, in keeping with the novels, than he was in the Rings trilogy. One of the great, naturally cinematic scenes mentioned in the novel that was extracted from the movies was Gandalf doing battle with all nine Wraith Lords atop Amon Sul. In the novel, Aragorn and Frodo see the results of the fight without knowing the details, as "Lightning that leaps up from the ground" (very characteristic of Gandalf), and in the form of scorched earth on the hill "as though it were swept by fire." Later, at Elrond's council, we receive the explanation that the Nine Nazgul, who had fled from Gandalf's wrath during the day, surrounded him on Weathertop at night, and battled with him until he broke free of them at dawn, having wielded against them, at the least, "such light and flame" as "has not been seen on Weathertop since the war beacons of old."

The image conjured is absolutely epic. And, while I won't get my hopes high up, I cannot help wondering whether we may see Gandalf investigating Dol Guldur to verify Radagast's claims (as the trailer suggests he will, even if that footage did not make it into film one), and coming up against the Nazgul, all together (a trap after all) and having to battle free of them with his potent magic (perhaps forcing them back with light and flame, and then riding off alongside Radagast on the Bunny Sled). Peter has been known to transplant scenes before, and this would be a perfect place to do it.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
All right. Knowing one if not all 9 Nazgul are in. . . any hopes/chance of seeing Gandalf battle past them as in the LOTR novel? AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 26 2012, 2:13am
    Would this ruin continuity with Rings? Avnar Send a private message to Avnar Dec 26 2012, 4:57am
        Not exactly. He implies it in the context of the last days of The War of The Ring. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 26 2012, 5:51am
    Nice idea... Istaris'staffs Send a private message to Istaris'staffs Dec 26 2012, 5:14am
    I would have preferred that this piece of info not be in a subject line Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Dec 26 2012, 5:49am
        Apologies. I didn't consider it thus, mainly because the presence of at least AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 26 2012, 5:53am
            seeing the Witch King... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Dec 26 2012, 6:00am
                No, Magpie. You don't know. At least not from me you don't, because I don't know. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 26 2012, 9:03am
                    I would love to see that RalphDamiani Send a private message to RalphDamiani Dec 26 2012, 12:32pm
                        Which is why it was EE stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Dec 26 2012, 1:29pm
                        Yeah, you are speaking to my heart. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Dec 26 2012, 10:51pm
                    sorry... I just realized I misread your subject line Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Dec 26 2012, 4:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.