Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*looks up from pile of wrapping paper* It'sTuesday! It's the reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 25 2012, 3:08pm

Post #1 of 15 (224 views)
Shortcut
*looks up from pile of wrapping paper* It'sTuesday! It's the reading thread! Can't Post

Whew, wonder why I almost forgot? Crazy

I'm reading a non-fiction book and a fiction book but will report on them next week. When Tuesday will be New Year's Day and I'll probably almost-forget again. Tongue

Did you all get some good books in your Christmas stockings? How about Kindles or Nooks or other e-devices? Have you had time to read anything at all during the shopping, wrapping, cooking, and traveling run-up? Do tell!

Merry Christmas from cold and soggy Texas, even to y'all who are already on December 26th. Smile

Carcharoth
Bree

Dec 25 2012, 4:51pm

Post #2 of 15 (90 views)
Shortcut
A Dance with Dragons [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a little more than half-way through this book that I should have finished back in November, but for work leaving me mentally exhausted over the past few weeks.
I'll get there...

Next up will be a re-read of "The Hobbit."

Merry Christmas!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2012, 5:54pm

Post #3 of 15 (107 views)
Shortcut
Finished reading Letters From Father Christmas, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I gotta say that it's quite the bittersweet ending despite being able to see it coming from early on in the collection. I might make a tradition of reading it each Christmas season.

Waiting for me under the tree this morning (in terms of books) were Robert Louis Stevenson's The Black Arrow and Kidnapped (really looking forward to reading this one). As well as Louis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (as a collected volume), The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emma Orczy, and Tolkien's Mr. Bliss.

I actually sat down a while ago today and read Mr. Bliss. Given its length I figured I'd read it now as I still have to work through the rest of Three Musketeers before I pick up any other books. Really enjoyed it, though. It had a classic fairy-tale/nursery rhyme vibe to it. It definitely deserves further reads, as I'm sure I may have overlooked a lot of stuff, plus the art is fantastic (flowed very well after reading LFFC).

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 25 2012, 6:52pm

Post #4 of 15 (84 views)
Shortcut
There are a lot of Martin fans here [In reply to] Can't Post

And Martin himself is a fan of JRRT. As for me, though, my heart belongs to the good professor EvilHeart

Merry Christmas!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 25 2012, 6:52pm

Post #5 of 15 (88 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a great collection [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't go wrong reading Tolkien over Christmas. Or any other time! Enjoy your new collection of classics, and merry Christmas!

Carcharoth
Bree

Dec 25 2012, 9:44pm

Post #6 of 15 (83 views)
Shortcut
Well, TORn is responsible... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for my discovery of GRRM, specifically CAHobbit.
But, as with you, Tolkien will always come first with me. ;)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2012, 9:45pm

Post #7 of 15 (82 views)
Shortcut
I unwrapped a set by a favorite author of mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

...who also happens to be a friend of yours: yes, my eldest has give me Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest series!

I'd only read Dealing with Dragons and Talking to Dragons; I look forward to revisiting those stories, and reading the other two afresh! Smile

Meanwhile, she also gave us a couple of picture books about Durham Cathedral (her boyfriend's family lives near there, and she'd picked them up when she'd visited) and one about St. Cuthbert.

Oh, yes, also got this little tome of Chronicles by some outfit called WETA...Wink

And we're at present in the Berkshires of Massachusetts, where a few inches of snow fell last night! Did you get any of the snow that hit Texas?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 25 2012, 10:17pm

Post #8 of 15 (86 views)
Shortcut
The Wrede books are great [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy! And I love Durham Cathedral. As for Cuthbert---hm, great minds think alike....Wink

Snow? Oh my yes, precious, it's been snowing since noon and now the grass and garden is covered. But the streets are still warm from the record high temperatures last week. Or they'll stay warm until the temperature dips well below freezing tonight.

Did someone say roller coaster? Crazy

Merry Christmas!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 28 2012, 12:46am

Post #9 of 15 (101 views)
Shortcut
I'm reading Tolstoy and Dreamdeer :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

My recent reading of near-death accounts led me to re-read "The Death of Ivan Illlyich". I'd read it many decades ago in high school. The near-death moment is so quick you almost miss that light at the end of the tunnel, but it's the one thing I remembered all these years.

So I decided to read "Anna Karenina", which I also read in high school. I'm taking it slow and enjoying Tolstoy's clean, simple prose. I'm reading in translation, of course, but I assume that kind of prose is the easiest to translate well.

And I'm reading "The Poison Gamble" by our friend Dreamdeer. http://dreamdeer.grailmedia.com/tilian/poison/intro.html It's a full novel based on a lifetime of dreams. It helped to have read some of the introductory background stories on her website first. I'm really enjoying it, and taking it slow as well. It's a kind of science-fiction/fantasy story set on another planet where the survivors of an earth apocalypse are living. They have some special powers, so it's as much fantasy as science fiction. And the settings are amazing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 28 2012, 3:40pm

Post #10 of 15 (60 views)
Shortcut
An interesting combination [In reply to] Can't Post

I often read a fiction and a non-fiction book at the same time (well, not at the actual same time, but during the same time period) but I have trouble reading two books of fiction because the prose will often "bleed" from one book to another.

I figured Dreamdeer would write an intriguing story Smile

Ginger
Lorien

Dec 28 2012, 6:21pm

Post #11 of 15 (41 views)
Shortcut
Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed this, though not as much as Atonement or Saturday. This is from the library catalog: Recruited into MI5 against a backdrop of the Cold War in 1972, Cambridge student Serena Frome, a compulsive reader, is assigned to infiltrate the literary circle of a promising young writer whose politics align with those of the government, a situation that is compromised when she falls in love with him. It's not a cloak and dagger spy story, but more of the office dealings of MI5 and a love story.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 2:10pm

Post #12 of 15 (64 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . a good set-up for a mystery/thriller. I imagine McEwan is himself a compulsive reader---most writers are Wink

batik
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 8:57pm

Post #13 of 15 (34 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Folk... [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, from the Appendices of LotR Wink
For some reason, I am now interested in reading more about Dwarves!
Upon reading this section, the *changes* made from book to film became apparent--but that's OK.
Once again, the depth of Tolkien's world shines.

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 11:47pm

Post #14 of 15 (23 views)
Shortcut
Don't understand [In reply to] Can't Post

why the young writer's circle needs to be infiltrated if his politics align with those of the government. Can it be that you left out the word 'don't'?

Otherwise, it sounds interesting!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Ginger
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 5:55pm

Post #15 of 15 (76 views)
Shortcut
They wanted to make sure he would be published [In reply to] Can't Post

so more people would read him and therefore align with the government's thinking.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.