Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What Tolkien-related xmas-gifts did you get this year?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

paperC
Rivendell

Dec 25 2012, 2:10pm

Post #1 of 32 (376 views)
Shortcut
What Tolkien-related xmas-gifts did you get this year? Can't Post

Personally, I got Brian Sibley's official movie guide! Great stuff.

What about you?

Merry Christmas

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 25 2012, 3:57pm

Post #2 of 32 (199 views)
Shortcut
I received ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The soundtrack, and the WETA Chronicles book. And I must say that book is absolutely fantastic. And must buy for everyone.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 25 2012, 5:23pm

Post #3 of 32 (236 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien Bestiary // [In reply to] Can't Post

grinman
Rivendell

Dec 25 2012, 8:09pm

Post #4 of 32 (165 views)
Shortcut
ME TOO!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think my wife was listening. She didn't know exactly which items to get so she checked my Amazon history. Clever lil' monkey.

So, I got the Special Edition Soundtrack, Weta Chronicles Book, and The Lord of The Rings Extended Editions Blu Ray box set... an excellent Tolkien haul this year!!

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 25 2012, 8:28pm

Post #5 of 32 (174 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's The Art of the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked this book- Tolkien is a lovely watercolourist and it's enjoyable to see how the Hobbit locations are developed through his sketches:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Hobbit-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0547928254/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356467176&sr=8-1&keywords=tolkien+art+of+the+hobbit

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2012, 8:46pm

Post #6 of 32 (195 views)
Shortcut
Me!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Received the first two volumes of the History of Middle-earth.
And a wonderful cross stitch pattern of the Fellowship walking in a line in wonderful sunset colours.

I'm really happy with these gifts, totally spoiled.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 25 2012, 9:34pm

Post #7 of 32 (172 views)
Shortcut
Me three! [In reply to] Can't Post

I opened up what I suspected was a book from hubby, and found - the WETA Chronicles! (He admitted that it was Geeky Son who had made the recommendation...)

Meanwhile, a long bout of laughter erupted from our youngest (age 23), who found herself in possession of a LEGO Shelob's Lair kit! She had always thought Shelob was so cool. Laugh

Yes, we've all been poring over the book, it is so fascinating! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Gorbag
Rivendell

Dec 26 2012, 12:28am

Post #8 of 32 (167 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien stuff i got this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

The main big one was a Weta One Ring, its amazing. Beautiful little thing.

Hobbit 2013 Calender.

The Silmarillion book.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 1:28am

Post #9 of 32 (174 views)
Shortcut
My sister is good to me : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

She shops from my Amazon wish list, and scored these gems for me this year Cool

The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

Tolkien's World - Paintings of Middle Earth ( This is a lovely coffee table book published in 1992 by MJF Books, featuring art by Ted Nasmith, John Howe, Inger Edelfeldt, Michael Hague, Carol Emery Phenix, and Alan Lee )

The Art of the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien ( Hammond & Scull ) Beautiful slipcover book with multiple foldouts representing Tolkien's art for The Hobbit.

Official Tolkien calendar featuring art by Alan Lee and John Howe. This is a must have.....I love how there is a 'ghost' sketch underneath the days of the week Cool

And since my sis is so cool, she also got me the 'Riddles for the Ring' Lego set with Bilbo and GollumSmile

Oh yeah !! We also went to see The Hobbit in 3D on Christmas Eve !

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 1:37am

Post #10 of 32 (165 views)
Shortcut
I received this too ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it great ? I actually have it open on my desk right now...marveling at Tolkien's handwriting on 'Thorin's letter to Bilbo' on page 35 Smile

sevilodorf
Gondor

Dec 26 2012, 2:36am

Post #11 of 32 (165 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit AUJ Chronicles [In reply to] Can't Post

A book detailing the production designs for the movie. From my daughter (who bought an audio set of The Hobbit and LOTR for herself to listen to as she drives to and from work.... she is prepping for the Hobbit Oscar party in February which she has agreed to attend with me --- to see exactly what her crazy mother has been doing for the past eleven years.)

And a Hobbit poster showing the White Council from my grandson because he knows I like hobbits not pirates like he does.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

The Mitch King
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 8:24am

Post #12 of 32 (191 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit galore!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Calendar, Gandalf action figure, book mark, poster, t shirt, WETA Chronicles, Gandalf's staff pen...dang i have a problem...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 26 2012, 3:26pm

Post #13 of 32 (132 views)
Shortcut
On the First Day of Christmas, my wife, she gave to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Map and Key of Thror from the Noble Collection (the deluxe version, not the lesser one that can be found in Barnes & Noble and other bookstores). I already know where we will probably hang them.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 26 2012, 3:27pm)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 4:54pm

Post #14 of 32 (131 views)
Shortcut
Legos! [In reply to] Can't Post

I received two of the Hobbit lego sets - Riddles in the Dark and the Mirkwood set. Never too old to get toys.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 26 2012, 5:26pm

Post #15 of 32 (117 views)
Shortcut
A pair of slippers [In reply to] Can't Post

Our younger son gave his father a pair of huge hobbit-foot slippers, with toes and hair on the top and all. Good timing, since we actually had a cold, white Christmas here in Texas, and the slippers have kept his feet toasty-warm.

I couldn't wait for Christmas and bought myself The Hobbit special edition soundtrack a couple of weeks ago. Blush

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2012, 8:13pm

Post #16 of 32 (112 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. [In reply to] Can't Post

This entire past month - year! - has been one long extended gift-giving and receiving event.
Cheers, everyone!Smile

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 26 2012, 9:29pm

Post #17 of 32 (123 views)
Shortcut
Started early, with a stop at the bookstore after leaving the theater [In reply to] Can't Post

to get (finally!) the green slipcased collector's edition of The Hobbit (saw it through the window before the movie). We also picked up the Rolling Stone special and EW. I saw to it that the hobbity cousins next-door would get the Mirkwood spider attack and Gollum's cave Hobbit Lego sets, because -- IMO -- they wouldn't get as much use out the the bigger and more expensive one I was getting myself: Bag End! ;) We didn't have time to put all our sets together last night, but it should be fun, especially with another read-along.

And I think I can count some gorgeous silvery grey wool spinning fiber, too, if I knit some Middle-earthy stuff from it.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Dec 26 2012, 9:35pm)

the_argonath
Lorien

Dec 26 2012, 10:22pm

Post #18 of 32 (87 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit t-shirt, soundtrack and official movie guide :) :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

imin
Valinor

Dec 26 2012, 10:30pm

Post #19 of 32 (98 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas to everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they were all fun and everyone got what they wished for off Santa :)

As for myself, i got the 2013 Tolkien Calendar, this year they obviously went for the theme of The Hobbit, with some beautiful pictures by Alan Lee and John Howe - I am tempted to start collecting the calendars but then i feel my Tolkien/Middle-earth collection might get too large (and cost too much money) so i think my parents and gf will kill me if i do, lol.

As for movie related things, i will wait for the super duper blu-ray edition before i get any of the movies again, might get soundtrack but spotify is just so handy and most importantly free!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 27 2012, 12:25am

Post #20 of 32 (96 views)
Shortcut
My friend bought me the invisible bilbo figure [In reply to] Can't Post

My main gift from Neil was Thorin's map and key... However shipping was delayed til January so Neil wrapped his own hand drawn version of the map, complete with a key, for me to open!

As much as I love the home made version, can't wait for the real one to arrive!

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 27 2012, 9:32am

Post #21 of 32 (97 views)
Shortcut
Lego Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

As a joke, my folks gave me a Lego set of Gandalf and Frodo in the cart from the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring. I bought my nephew the Lego Lord of the Rings video game for the Wii and I have a feeling I may enjoy it as much as, if not more than, he will. Also, while it wasn't a present per se, I bought myself a toy version of Sting to go with the Bilbo costume I wore to the midnight show of the Hobbit movie.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 7:02pm

Post #22 of 32 (77 views)
Shortcut
A paper Christmas Tree ornament [In reply to] Can't Post

hand made by Sil!

It is in the shape of a glass ball with Tolkien's image of Father Christmas on one side, and a ribbon to fix it to a bough.

I also received nice bookmarks which I shall cherish, from gramma, weaver and Kel.

Heart

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 7:13pm

Post #23 of 32 (61 views)
Shortcut
I gave one [In reply to] Can't Post

I gave my little brother one of the Hobbit movie lego sets. It's the "Out of the Frying Pan" one. He quite enjoyed it. Smile

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Dec 27 2012, 7:17pm

Post #24 of 32 (62 views)
Shortcut
Well, I bought myself the Hobbit soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

and received a paper tree ornament from Sil, like SirDennisC. Also, from a friend, I received a sweet little pendant made from the decorative end of a small silver teaspoon, which is not directly Tolkien-related, but made me think of what might have happened if Lobelia had been a craftswoman!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 7:20pm

Post #25 of 32 (75 views)
Shortcut
I received the soundtrack and the Weta chronicle. [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't had a chance to properly read the book, and the soundtrack isn't opened yet.

But I did put together the Lego Bag End. It was a present for The Little Goblin. No, really. Really.

Little Eruvande received the Lego Gollum's cave. Yes, it's for the children. Really. WinkCool

The kids also got Lego LOTR for Xbox.

For. The. Kids. Really. Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.