Smaug versus Stone Giants

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2012, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 7 (4538 views)
Shortcut
Smaug versus Stone Giants Can't Post

In the crimson-gold corner: Smaug!

In the greyish-brown(?) corner: The stone giants from the movie, specifically. The ones from the book are not very specifically described. Let's just assume there are no more than three stone giants in this match-up.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

The Mitch King
Rohan

Dec 25 2012, 11:48pm

Post #2 of 7 (3547 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think fire would hurt those things much but smaug might be able to knock their heads off........but if they connected with a huge boulder on smaug they could probably kill him. Smaug has agility and smarts on them I think but it's really hard to say.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 26 2012, 4:47pm

Post #3 of 7 (3443 views)
Shortcut
Smaug, sort of [In reply to] Can't Post

As was mentioned, I think Smaug could knock off a stone giant head. In flight, he also could avoid the flying boulders easily. The stone giants seem fairly slow.

However, big questions remain. Where do stone giants fit in the big picture? Can they leave the mountains? Would they attack anyone besides each other? Can they actually die or do they simply take on a new rock form?

iandea14
Rivendell

Dec 26 2012, 7:23pm

Post #4 of 7 (3501 views)
Shortcut
Stoners [In reply to] Can't Post

i think the Stone Giants would win this one. How would Smaug knock off one of their heads without killing himself and the giants wouldn't be affected by his fire also they could just hide as mountains until he gets close enough to get.

imin
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 5:11pm

Post #5 of 7 (3457 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Cause he is cool and the stone giants are not.

He can fly so can keep out of their way whilst heating them with fire until they explode or melt?

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 3:30pm

Post #6 of 7 (3560 views)
Shortcut
Stone giants probably [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug would be able to knock their heads off, in numerous ways. A well-placed tail-strike for instance, while flying by.

However, from what we have seen, it's still hard to know that would be enough to defeat a stone giant. Knocking it's head off might not be enough. For all we know, they don't need "heads" to keep fighting.

Sure, they can be knocked off the side of the mountain. But that might only prolong the fight rather than end it.

Maybe each one would need to be shattered into pebbles to be stopped permanently?

Smaug can fly and he has only one weakspot. That said, he's an organic being. His endurance is likely to be finite. I expect at some point he needs to take a break from flying and/or fighting and/or breathing fire. With the stone giants, they appear to be made of solid rock. It's hard to say if they ever need to rest.

Plus, even though Smaug has only one weakness for piercing purposes, I would think that his armor would not protect him from bludgeoning attacks, such as from the stone-giants' fists, kicks, or flying boulders.

Smaug can breathe fire and eventually melt rock. But that would take quite a bit of fire, I would think? See my point above about Smaug's endurance. Also, I wonder whether Smaug would have sufficient opportunity to melt any one of them with a concentrated, uninterrupted stream of his fire breath, while the other two are slinging rocks and boulders at him.

If he is breathing a fire attack from the air, wouldn't he have to hover? Or he would have to strafe in a circle while blasting flames at a single target. Either of which would require quite a bit of effort and concentration. While he's busy doing that, doesn't he make himself more vulnerable to attacks from the other two giants?

If he ever lands, even for a moment, he would become vulnerable to close-in attacks and he might even get tackled and wrestled by one if not more than one giant.

If a stone-giant were to hold Smaug down (on level ground, if any) while the other two are there to kick and punch, Smaug's at a great disadvantage.

Additionally, if a stone giant (or two, or three) were to put Smaug into a hold and then fall off the mountain, Smaug would probably not be able to fly to save himself, depending on how strong his wings are. I am sure his wings are very strong but those giants look extremely heavy. Those wings are strong enough to easily lift his own considerable weight, but with the added weight of the giants, I'm doubtful. The resulting fall might hurt Smaug more than the giant, or at least equally so?

So, without more info about the Stone giants' weaknesses and limitations, I would lean toward them over Smaug.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 5:47pm

Post #7 of 7 (3959 views)
Shortcut
Exactly how hot is a dragon's fire? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it hot enough to melt rock? If so, Smaug might win, if he can maintain the fire for long enough to do significant damage.

My immediate reaction is.... those Stone Giants would win due to durability.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.