Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I've seen it all now: Bad cinema/theatre experiences ....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 10:19am

Post #1 of 38 (471 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it all now: Bad cinema/theatre experiences .... Can't Post

I thought I'd fit in a last minute screening of The Hobbit before Christmas, so I went to an 11pm screening last night. I *thought* it would be perfect timing - it shouldn't be too busy, and I can enjoy it without the usual distractions.

So I found a nice seat, and it wasn't busy at all. There were only 20 other people there. But what happens minutes before the film starts?

A lady stands up to breastfeed her baby. Now ... I'm all for breastfeeding. It's an important part of the mother-child relationship, and also just as important for the health of the child. But it's not something I want to see while trying to listen to Old Bilbo!

C'mon people of the UK! Where is your common sense?!

Please tell me other people have had just as worse (or more worse) experiences.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2012, 12:46pm

Post #2 of 38 (281 views)
Shortcut
Odd thing to do [In reply to] Can't Post

It's perfectly easy to breastfeed discreetly and usually sitting down!

We (small group of old-time TORNadoes) had a small child of interdeterminate gender sitting behind us last week - small child sat on Dad's lap, as the Leicester Square Odeon doesn't have steep tiering. Small child proceeded to chatter throughout movie, read out subtitles, kick seats and drop popcorn on Hengist's head. Too young to be there really and most annoying.

Storm clouds

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 1:55pm

Post #3 of 38 (264 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

It's perfectly easy to breastfeed discreetly and usually sitting down!

She must have felt more comfortable standing up - she may have also thought nobody could see her because she was sat/stood by the side. Which is perfectly fine - I'd rather the baby was happy, than crying out loud. I was just shocked. I can put it on to the list of: "odd things people do in a cinema!" now.

I hope you all had a great time in London (minus the child). Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2012, 5:20pm

Post #4 of 38 (258 views)
Shortcut
Is there a projectionist in the house? [In reply to] Can't Post

One time I went to see the very first showing of FOTR on a Saturday. There was a line in the lobby of people waiting to be let into the theater to get our seats and they were starting to cut it a little close. It turns out the only projectionist that was supposed to be there for the early showing hadn't shown up, so before letting us into the theater to sit down, the manager came out and asked if there were any projectionists among us. We then knew we were in trouble, but had to laugh because usually the saying is: "is there a doctor in the house" but, at that point in time, a projectionist was far more important to us! Laugh

It had a happy ending as one of their other projectionists came in early and the movie only started a few minutes late. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

geordie
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2012, 6:02pm

Post #5 of 38 (251 views)
Shortcut
Me! I'll have a go.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.. now then, it can't be all that complicated - just need to the feed the holes in the film onto those sprocket thingies... Bear with me...

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 23 2012, 6:27pm

Post #6 of 38 (245 views)
Shortcut
Not a problem, but a drama [In reply to] Can't Post

Years ago, in a very full theatre, there was a commotion in the row behind us - cries of 'Are you ok?' and then "Help, he's choking, help, help!!!' A very frightened dad was freaking out as his son choked on a lolly. Within seconds a guy in the row behind leaped over and administered some very good whacks on the boy's back. On about the third blow, the lolly flew out of the boy's mouth and sailed over our heads and into the row in front of us. The grateful dad hugged the shaken boy, and they left the theatre, and the people in the surrounding area broke into spontaneous applause. Then we all settled in for the movie. I can't for the life of me remember what the movie was.

And a question: Was the breastfeeding woman blocking anyone's view? Because if she wasn't, I don't really understand why it's a problem.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 6:37pm

Post #7 of 38 (217 views)
Shortcut
Wow! It's a good job the man stepped in and helped. [In reply to] Can't Post

I choked on a sweet before. Luckily, I could cough it up (and out) myself. It put me off sweets for a long time after that.

She wasn't in anyone's way - it wasn't much of a "problem". I was just shocked since it was an 11pm screening - I was surprised that they bought their (young) children along, and didn't go to the bathroom to do it. Like I said, I appreciate that it needed to be done, but I certainly wasn't expecting it. It was most noticeable to me because I was sat at the back on her side.

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 6:45pm

Post #8 of 38 (233 views)
Shortcut
...because the bathroom is the place you'd think to feed your child? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nursing mothers unite. We didn't/don't want to feed our babies in the possibly filthiest place in the building. Do we sit on the toilet while we do?

Breastfeeding is natural. If you wouldn't quibble about a baby feeding from a bottle then the only reason you'd quibble about a baby feeding from a breast is because it's BOOBIES. And we know what BOOBIES are for.

Well, it's the 21st Century and, as enlightened humans, we can get over that old concept of BOOBIES.

I'd be way less bothered by a content nursing child and mother than a texting fool, chatting idiot or candy bag rustler any day. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 23 2012, 6:59pm

Post #9 of 38 (211 views)
Shortcut
That's brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminded me of a time when I was at a screening of Return of the King. It was New Year's Eve, and I would say the staffing at the theatre was at minimal levels. We had just reached that crucial moment when Sam says, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you..." As the music swelled, and Sam started to pick up Frodo, the images flickeered, faltered, and then blistered as if the very fires of Mount Doom were eating up the film. Then darkness. There was silence, then chatter, then an expectant waiting. As the time lengthened and nothing happened, people got restless and a few of us decided we would have to go and find someone. Just at that moment, a very nervous and very young looking man appeared at the stairs and told us it was being fixed, and could we please be patient, and then he scurried away. We waited some more, and then finally the screen flickered. There they were - Sam and Frodo, at the crucial moment. But wait, it's still not quite right. Oh dear: Sam and Frodo are upside down! It's another way to climb Mount Doom I guess.
Take 3, and they finally corrected the film, but we had missed the crucial scene.
Every time I see that scene now, I half expect to see a blistered film and a couple of upside down hobbits! Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 23 2012, 7:00pm

Post #10 of 38 (239 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

you don't know many people with small babies? Smile

geordie
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2012, 7:55pm

Post #11 of 38 (196 views)
Shortcut
A bit like the first Ballantine ed. of FotR? [In reply to] Can't Post

- bear with me - in the 1st printing of the Ballantine FotR, published in 1965, the Ring-verse is printed upside-down. "I cannot read the fiery letters", said Frodo.

"I'm not surprised" said Tolkien, when he found out.

Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2012, 7:58pm

Post #12 of 38 (202 views)
Shortcut
...because projectionists are everywhere, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

What an odd thing to happen! And thank goodness you did, finally, get to see the film. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2012, 7:58pm

Post #13 of 38 (200 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that would have been frightening for everyone involved.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2012, 8:07pm

Post #14 of 38 (195 views)
Shortcut
Something similar happened to me at a small-theatre screeing of FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

when the film burned out early on and when they managed to fix it, suddenly we were at the gates of Moria. The crowd was noisly amused but not angry. The third time they got it right. It was a theatre which was still using reels instead of digital.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 9:06pm

Post #15 of 38 (194 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps I am naive. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said above, it wasn't the "act" of breastfeeding that baffled me (I'm not "put off" by it at all), it was the fact they had bought 3 very young children to a 12A film at 11pm at night. It didn't help that she then sat on her phone for the rest of the 3 hours.

Perhaps I am naive, and we can put this down to my sex and age. I dunno.

Smile

Apologies to anyone I may have annoyed.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 23 2012, 9:16pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 9:29pm

Post #16 of 38 (185 views)
Shortcut
I took my first son to Star Wars, Return of the Jedi [In reply to] Can't Post

...when he was 1 week old. (He was born 3 days before its release)

It was silly... the movie was way too loud and I spent the whole thing covering his ears. But he's a full blown geek now so I set him on the right path.

For very young children, late nights might not mean much. Many can sleep anywhere and are happiest sleeping on a parent's lap or chest. For toddlers, it seems more of a poor choice. To talk on her phone would make me want to smack her.

I actually did kick the back of the seat of the person in front of me who kept checking their phone at one movie.

To be fair, your initial post made it all about breastfeeding - not about multiple children, nor your feeling it was too late for a small child, nor talking on a phone.

And it was only when you suggested the bathroom that I piped up.

I was not annoyed but as a mother who breastfed - and breastfed in awkward situations when I was still working things out - I think people do need to relax about breastfeeding mothers and not suggest they go to the toilet to do it! lol.

I think any mother would appreciate the option for a quiet, private room that is not a bathroom. Most buildings do not have those facilities. Working mothers who express often have to find some room to appropriate for the purpose. I used to leave my office so a mother could have it for 15 minutes because there was no other private room for her to use.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 23 2012, 9:30pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 23 2012, 9:50pm

Post #17 of 38 (176 views)
Shortcut
They have 'Mums and Bubs' sessions here [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they have them in other countries?
I know a few Mums who go to those, since everyone is in the same boat, so to speak.
Young children are another kettle of fish of course.

Speaking of people using their phones in movies, my favourite one ever was in a very full house. If my memory is right, it was Return of the King. A young woman answered her phone during the movie, then proceeded to have a very loud conversation, punctuated with, "I can't really talk now, I'm in a movie!" shouted at the top of her lungs. Everyone within about five rows of her started shouting at her - no-one could believe it! She slunk out, and I believe she did not return.
The power of the mob!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 10:13pm

Post #18 of 38 (198 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they have showings for autistic kids. And no one I know feels they can complain about kids if its a kids' movie. But I don't think they have too many showings for adult movies where it's a kind of 'families welcome' thing.

I think, if there are 'kid friendly' movies they are very early in the day and not at a time when most working adults would be likely to go to a movie.

There used to be an old theater quite near my house that had a sound-proof glass-enclosed crying room where mothers and their young children could view a movie without disturbing other patrons. It's since been torn down.

I am one who often speaks up. Some here might remember the story about the unchaperoned, teenaged girls behaving badly in a restaurant that went on for way too long. When they started wrestling on the floor, I got up and scolded them. When one of the mothers came in to pick them up, I told her why I was scolding them.

But I have to remember that today things like that are risky. There has been violence associated with people shushing other people. One person got punched by a pro-football player who had been shushed after talking during a movie. And I think another shushing resulted in someone getting shot in the parking lot.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 23 2012, 11:01pm

Post #19 of 38 (185 views)
Shortcut
Wrestling on the floor? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an eye-opener, and no mistake!

I'm a speaker-upper as well.
One time when I was enjoying lunch with my sister at a favourite cafe, I was unable to ignore a mother who was watching her boy (about 7) repeatedly chasing a brood of fledgling paradise ducks around the river bank and onto the road in front of oncoming traffic. I could see them out the window, and the mother duck was becoming more and more distressed as her exhausted babies ran as fast as they could (unable to fly) to escape the boy, while the boy's mother laughed and clapped her encouragement. A number of people were watching and looked horrified. I went downstairs and crossed the road, and gave the woman what was probably a horrible lecture, with plenty of extra and irrelevant information about paradise ducks, since I was pretty wound up. She apologised to me and grabbed her child, rushing off to escape me! When I went back into the restaurant I was congratulated by some of the other customers, and the waitress, who had also seen this out the window.

And I am always 'shushing' people in the movies.

You are right, though - you never know how the person may react.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2012, 11:20pm

Post #20 of 38 (159 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I once corrected a young boy (very kindly - but firmly - as he was young) when he was chasing ducklings that were running so fast they were tripping and rolling down the slope in an effort to get away from him. I despise seeing children treat young animals as toys that can't be harmed.

(I didn't see any parents near him.)

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 23 2012, 11:43pm

Post #21 of 38 (154 views)
Shortcut
I simply cannot abide [In reply to] Can't Post

duckling chasers.

Or seat kickers at the movies. Or people crunching their lolly bags and munching their popcorn, or slurping their giant buckets of sugar water. Or talkers. Or 'discreet' texters. Or wrigglers. Or people coming in late, or leaving early.

That might be why I prefer small theatres at off-peak times. Laugh

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 23 2012, 11:44pm

Post #22 of 38 (167 views)
Shortcut
Yes, good for you! I can't imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

what the mom was thinking, especially with the traffic, and the distress of the animals. I'm just glad you were there!Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 24 2012, 12:17am

Post #23 of 38 (174 views)
Shortcut
Here's where I ranted about it [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=168879#168879

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 24 2012, 1:29am

Post #24 of 38 (138 views)
Shortcut
Excellent rant [In reply to] Can't Post

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2012, 12:37pm

Post #25 of 38 (138 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... that's just wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm all for natural child care, but to stand up and intrude on everyone's space in an open theater is not proper :(

I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I seriously haven't got any terribly negative experiences. Just occasional whisperers, gigglers, make-outers, and those "people" who stand in front of you during the start to take off their coats or at the end when I'm watching the credits to stand up and put their coats on and then wait for those they're with to put theirs on... then for people to start walking out onto the isle. I've been known to hisssss..."SSSIT DOWN!"

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.