Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Philippa Boyens talk extended edition, film 2 and 3 + more with Collider.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 6:39pm

Post #1 of 28 (2277 views)
Shortcut
Philippa Boyens talk extended edition, film 2 and 3 + more with Collider. Can't Post

http://collider.com/...it-interview/217111/

Some of the more interesting bits:

But Iíve got one personal thing that I love that I wish was in there and youíll see it, itís a little thing between Bilbo and Elrond. Itís probably, within the context of the greater whole, the six films; itís going to work really beautifully when you see Bilbo in Rivendell in Lord of the Rings.

On the length of film 2 and 3 compared to AUJ:

No, I think theyíll be around the same or slightly shorter ideally. Itíll be interesting though, weíll see. I know from the rough cut of film two that at the moment you could say that it will be shorter.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 6:45pm

Post #2 of 28 (986 views)
Shortcut
Shorter films 2 & 3? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't imagine how DoS anyway would be be shorter when it introduces so many new characters and has more going on than in Film 1...

Also, PJ recently mentioned that Barrels out of Bondage appears "fairly early" into the second film...guess we may not spend that much screentime in Mirkwood after all? Or was PJ being flip with this remark?

But can't wait to see the Bilbo/Elrond scene...it's kind-of essential to set-up why Bilbo chose Rivendell for his retirement. FB also explains why the marketplace scene wasn't in the theatrical edit, saying it would have been "too many beginnings".

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 22 2012, 6:48pm)

hms_ocean
Bree

Dec 22 2012, 6:45pm

Post #3 of 28 (836 views)
Shortcut
last two films [In reply to] Can't Post

Would love to see the last two films run no more than 2 and a half hours each, anything more and they will be pushing it. 2 hours each could be done as well and if need be make them longer with the EE for the fans.

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 22 2012, 6:47pm

Post #4 of 28 (953 views)
Shortcut
The back story and character intros for main characters are accomplished. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the next two could be shorter (there aren't that many more characters to introduce in each of the next two - and there isn't much sense in taking as much time to build up the context).

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 6:50pm

Post #5 of 28 (838 views)
Shortcut
What do people think of this? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
]But Iíve got one personal thing that I love that I wish was in there and youíll see it, itís a little thing between Bilbo and Elrond. Itís probably, within the context of the greater whole, the six films; itís going to work really beautifully when you see Bilbo in Rivendell in Lord of the Rings.

I can't think of anything that would connect the two together?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 6:53pm

Post #6 of 28 (896 views)
Shortcut
There are a slew of new characters, though... [In reply to] Can't Post

- Greatly expanded Thranduil
- Legolas re-introduced
- Tauriel
- Galion
- Beorn
- Bard
- Bain
- Master of Laketown
- Alfrid
- Braga (New Zealand actor Mark Mitchinson's character in the films)
- Dain
- Greatly expanded Bolg
- Greatly expanded Smaug
- Expanded Necromancer

Did I miss anyone? There's also the chance we may meet Drogo and Primula in the "back again" sequence, as those characters were being cast for a while, and didn't appear in AUJ (unless they've been written out). And supposedly, they're casting two new characters for the film 3 shooting this Summer.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 22 2012, 7:00pm)

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 6:55pm

Post #7 of 28 (803 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea but I really missed seeing more Bilbo in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

he looks wistful when he leaves but the movie doesn't really tell you why he loved Rivendell so much other than the beautiful landscapes (I so wanted to see the hall of fire .. sigh)

I seem the recall a scene in one of the vlogs with Bilbo and Elrond standing together, Martin Freeman on his knees to appear shorter (I think it was the first vlog actually?)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 22 2012, 6:57pm

Post #8 of 28 (793 views)
Shortcut
Gotta be the Narsil scene. But also can't think of what the little thing could be to tie those scenes? // [In reply to] Can't Post

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 7:00pm

Post #9 of 28 (896 views)
Shortcut
Even if the whole of Mirkwood takes an hour [In reply to] Can't Post

it's still leave almost two hours for the rest of the story... plus Beorn etc.. I think the Barrels will be around the midpoint of the movie - 1h 20 minutes
We will get to see Smaug's conversation with Biblo but Smaug's death will be in TABA - no way they are killing him of in DOS

hms_ocean
Bree

Dec 22 2012, 7:02pm

Post #10 of 28 (779 views)
Shortcut
PJ earlier? [In reply to] Can't Post

To the post further above, PJ saying something in a film is like him saying it doesn't take a long time to get out of the shire in both FOTR and AUJ so it could even be about an hour into the film or not.

and also Elrond could give him some history on the place and show him all the historical objects he has? Remeber Bilbo in FOTR says 'find somewhere where I can finish my book'. A place like that with so much history and resources could help that??

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 7:05pm

Post #11 of 28 (835 views)
Shortcut
That's the thing, however... [In reply to] Can't Post

FB makes it sounds as if Film 2 will be shorter than Film 1's 2:36 (sans credits). Granted, that may mean it's 2:34, which I certainly hope is the case!

IMO, much of Mirkwood (the wandering, the enchanted stream, the stag, Bilbo's tree), may be left for an EE, thus it will mostly be the spiders and the Wood Elves, I suppose.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 22 2012, 7:05pm

Post #12 of 28 (805 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't Narsil be a good point to start a short talk? [In reply to] Can't Post

Shortly after the dinner: Bilbo is walking around in Rivendell. Perhaps Bilbo walks around and sees Narsil (like in the trailer) and then Elrond appears. Bilbo asks why a broken sword is that important for the elves. Elrond just mentiones that it destroyed a great evil long ago (necromancer-theme). Elrond and Bilbo are changing their topic. Bilbo praises Rivendell and tells Elrond that he has always been a admirer of the elves. Elrond invites Bilbo that he'll always be welcome in Rivendell and that he can return whenever he wants. Bilbo turns around and sees the painting of Sauron and Isildur. The camera zooms towards the picture of Sauron and Isildur behind them. Then Gandalf, Thorin and Balin appear and we've got our moon rune scene.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Dec 22 2012, 7:09pm)

hms_ocean
Bree

Dec 22 2012, 7:13pm

Post #13 of 28 (784 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of talking about Sauron in the movie I loved the scene where Gandalf mentions there hasn't been orcs there since the darkers days or something like that and Thorin just looks at him, brilliant. I also loved the scene with the farm house, very realistic. Would like to see more of these sort of scenes instead of the over the top Sauron is back stuff.

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Dec 22 2012, 7:29pm

Post #14 of 28 (785 views)
Shortcut
All the best parts of Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

the wandering, the enchanted stream, the stag, Bilbo's tree

I'd hate for them to be cut, but as long as they're in the EE, I guess that's fine.

Aiya Ešrendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Ešrendil, brightest of stars!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 7:47pm

Post #15 of 28 (665 views)
Shortcut
That would be perfect! :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 7:55pm

Post #16 of 28 (696 views)
Shortcut
not possible! [In reply to] Can't Post

a shorter film than AUJ? Philippa has no clue about PJ's editing Wink
If you ask me, DOS will be around 3 hours, even without smaug's death!
And we know that Beorn gets some of that additional shooting. I see no problems there.

I'm very excited about that Elrond / Bilbo scene Smile

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 8:02pm

Post #17 of 28 (719 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood will be longer [In reply to] Can't Post

we get some kind of prologue (maybe the Gandalf / Thrain scene). Beorn and the introduction of the dwarves again. Beorn heads off, the company rests and here is definetly some time for the characterization of the dwarves and a creepy night scene of Beorn as a Bear killing off orcs or goblins. Gandalf leaves the company, the company is alone and insecure, we get all the good river,stag,spider,elf,barrel stuff .. If you ask me:

2 hours!

then, Laketown, Dale, Lonely Mountain, Smaug's attack .. another hour!

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Dec 22 2012, 8:04pm

Post #18 of 28 (669 views)
Shortcut
And where... [In reply to] Can't Post

are you putting the White Council plot? That's bound to get much more time than it did in AUJ.

Aiya Ešrendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Ešrendil, brightest of stars!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 8:11pm

Post #19 of 28 (694 views)
Shortcut
It seems likely there will be the bulk of the Necromancer/White Council story in Film 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

(PJ and others have basically confirmed that we get the Battle of Dol Guldur in DoS), and IMO, Smaug's attack may open Film 3, the second installment ending with Smaug taking off for Laketown. I'm not sure how long Beorn's house will take (they probably won't do the lengthy Dwarf introduction, seeing as they didn't really introduce most of them the first time around), but it seems Beorn will have more to do in the film than he did in the book, probably relating to the Necro story. I'm hopeful we'll get to meet the Woodmen as Gandy already mentioned them in AUJ.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 8:33pm

Post #20 of 28 (622 views)
Shortcut
you and Captain Salt are totally right [In reply to] Can't Post

forgot to mention it separately. The Dol Guldur stuff will start as soon as Gandalf leaves the company. IMO he will first look for himself what is happening up there (maybe then being joined by Radagast) and then he has to have a chat with the council (hey guys, I found out it's our good old friend Sauron) and then they kick some as and it makes BOOM and BAM. Can't see how that could make for a shorter film than AUJ Angelic

hms_ocean
Bree

Dec 22 2012, 8:41pm

Post #21 of 28 (591 views)
Shortcut
hope they... [In reply to] Can't Post

have some real creepy noises in the Mirkwood scenes. btw I agree with the Beorn killing the orcs scenes, that would be awesome

brucewayne
Bree

Dec 22 2012, 8:55pm

Post #22 of 28 (631 views)
Shortcut
Extended DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed that he only spoke of the extended Blu-Ray. What about the DVD? I hope they make them, and make them like they did with the "boxes" of LOTR extended editions.

vexx801
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 10:55pm

Post #23 of 28 (466 views)
Shortcut
Noticed that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't own a Blu-Ray Player (although I'd buy one just to see the Extended) but I'd assume they will at least release it on DVD.

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 22 2012, 11:12pm

Post #24 of 28 (457 views)
Shortcut
I can see DoS being a similar length as AUJ, with TaBA making it to 3 hours!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have this feeling that Bilbo and the Dwarves will already be inside Beorn's house when we first see them in DoS. With the Radagast story going on I can't see them focussing too much on Beorn, saving much of it for the EE.

Mirkwood, the spiders and Thranduil are far more important than Beorn, especially now they've ramped up the tension between the Elven King and Thorin. Legolas should be no more than a cameo here, with Tauriel gettimg more lines and more to do, hopefully. The barrels scene should be something like 50 minutes into the film, with the adventure feeling like it's really starting as they enter Laketown.

tolktolk
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 11:20pm

Post #25 of 28 (434 views)
Shortcut
This reviewer agrees with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just came across this review that make this point even more strongly.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/...he-hobbit-my-review/

I enjoyed a lot of the film, but I found myself agreeing with him when he says the human story was underdeveloped and buried under all the endless chases and OTT battle scenes.

I hope there will be a better balance in the next two films, but somehow I doubt it. I also saw PJ talking about the extras on the EE and that didn't inspire confidence either - he mentioned the dwarves being rude to the elves at Rivendell and more lines from Barry Humphries, both of which I could definitely do without.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.