Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Line Party report and Review after 6 shows.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 4:33am

Views: 604
Shortcut
My Line Party report and Review after 6 shows. [In reply to] Can't Post

A sibbie asked me if I've done a review of The Hobbit yet, and my response started out this way:

I've seen it 6 times (once on IMAX 3D) and my golly... I'm loving it more and more each time I see it! I have to admit the first viewing was splendid, but I didn't leave in a stupor like I did with FotR. Then again, no film left me feeling like FotR or RotK did. But once I emotionally (and not just psychologically) knew The Hobbit was a different story and different film, I've been caught in a trance and have fallen in love! (fyi... I've made a deal with my local theatre who remembers me from LotR. They've let me pre-purchase several tickets at a group-rate price. I've been saving for these viewings ever since The Hobbit was green-lit... though it will be a fraction of my LotR viewings :)

I haven't done a review yet because I've been selfishly going to the movies and going to work each day. I've got… *counts*… 26 pages of notes scribbled in the dark as I watched this fabulous journey. I've already got a lengthy list of geeky observations… so I'll be turning my attention to The Hobbit Geeky Observations List (like I've been promising) over this Christmas Break… while I'm not at the movie ;)

When I sit here thinking about different parts of the film, I can't stop smiling let alone keep from giggling. And then I think of the heroic moments, and I'm stirred to tears. This film is an obvious romp, a massive road trip, yet so intimate and touching... and valiant.

Scroll on down to **THE MOVIE** if you want to get past the Line Party report and straight into the review. For those who don't know me, hang on… I'm very wordy in my reports. Can't help it! They're also like a diary for me so I can remember (or re-discover) what happened as my memory fades. J Here goes…

**THE LINE PARTY*
I hosted what turned out to be a very humble line party for the 2 midnight screenings at my local theatre. I was so nervous... not knowing what to expect and thinking that most of the people would be college students from the nearby university. Thursday the 13th was the last day of final exams, so the masses were still in town and ready to celebrate. Surely in no mood for an ol' geek to interrupt their chatter as they waited for the movie doors to open. I showed up in my Nazgûl costume armed with a trivia game, donated trading cards for trivia prizes, little black plastic spiders handed out to everyone, and also some donated t-shirts, buttons, 3D Hobbit glasses and more for contest prizes once we got inside. I even got asked to pose for some pictures.

I was right. 90% of the movie-goers were between the ages of 18 & 24, but there were some seasoned fans there as well! Thankfully the young people didn't roll their eyes at me once! They were all fantastic and very enthusiastic about participating in the trivia game. I did the 2 lines in sections, reading trivia questions and then fanning out a huge handful of LotR/Denny's Hobbit trading cards for the winners to pick out what they wanted. You know how little kids look when you hold out a box full of toys and say, "Take your pick"? That's what happened :) Then everyone around them would lean in and say, "What'd ya get?! What'd ya find?!" Then I'd move to another section and do it all over again. But those people knew what was coming and were watching and waiting, whispering, "Here she comes!" Cripes that was fun! The winner who gathered the most cards was a many-wintered Tolkien gammer-geek who won a t-shirt and pair of Hobbit 3D glasses. Everyone was tickled with the spiders I gave out, except 2 young gents that fairly squealed and pulled away at the sight of them! I moved to the other side; "Oh look! There's one over here, too!" "eeeeek! No! No!" I told everyone they were Mirkwood spiders and that they'd be grown to full size by next December.

When we were finally let into our theatre, I waited for more people to show up. At about 11:30, I went to the front of the room and bellowed, "MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!?" They must have still been in classroom mode, cuz the room immediately went silent! "THANK YOU! We thought it would be fun to have some contests. So on behalf of TheOneRing.net…" to which there were gasps and whispers of recognition "…I've got some prizes for the Best Costume and the Best Gollum Impersonation. If we have time after I go to the other theatre for their contests, we'll do some more!" *anticipation noises ensued*

I continued. "Okay, so anyone who would like to participate in the Costume Contest, would you please come forward?" Some brave souls came down and we had an applause vote as I held my hand up to each. The Elven Princess definitely won! Everyone got prizes, but she got multiples. Same thing for the Gollum Impersonation contest. We only had 2 people participate, but WOW… they were incredible! The young lady did the battered-by-Faramir's-soldiers "cruel men hurts us" Gollum/Sméagol scene and the young man did the "Nobody likes you" Gollum/Sméagol scene… both in their entirety! Fantastically Creepy! We couldn't decide who was best, so they both got first prizes. Every contest participant got a HUGE round of applause!

Then I left for theater #2 and just got inside when their pre-preview advertisements came on. So I'll save the few prizes left for next year's Line Party.

**THE MOVIE**
Most of the formats I've seen have been the normal 24 fps 2D version, but I was very fortunate to see it in IMAX 3D... and it's outstanding! I normally don't care for 3D, but this is incredible quality that gives the film depth rather than in-your-face graphics. I strongly encourage anyone who really wants to experience this film at its best, see it in IMAX 3D!

I was literally holding my breath as The Hobbit started and the music came up… and then there was a closeup of an eye that instantly threw me off. What the…? Oh. Still production stuff. Then The Hobbit title filled the black screen. Ahhh… now it begins :) Bilbo strikes a match to light his candle. It's very dark in Bag End, so he's up very early to write his confession and tale to Frodo.

I'll admit my first viewing had me a bit off-kilter. After 10+ years of LotR being absorbed into my pores, it was a bit of a culture shock to finally be back in Bag End yet in unknown territory at the same time. What an adventure! :D So with my tablet in my lap and my pen perched on page one, I let myself fall into the abyss. It was so delightful to see Bilbo and Frodo scurrying around Bag End... to see what it was like for them to live in Bag End together!

At this first viewing, I was distracted by the anti-aging cg process on Bilbo (elder), Saruman, etc. And the comedic timing took me a little while to get used to. But once I saw The Hobbit again, I found myself totally enthralled and falling in love with this story and these characters! Ahhhhh.... this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thorin, Balin, Fili and Kili are certainly great, but I really love watching Bofur. He's such a surprise and really does a wonderful job of setting the tone for every scene he's in. The two I can't get enough of, though, are Gandalf and Martin Freeman's Bilbo. My gosh... they're amazing and spot-on for bringing their counterparts to life. Gandalf the Grey has always been my favorite. I'm delighted there's so much of him here!!!

What was especially fun for me was how much book dialogue kept popping up. One of my favorite parts of the book is when Bilbo and Gandalf first meet. Now it's also one of my favorite parts of the film! Bilbo is fantastic, as are the Dwarves. Gollum is stronger than ever, and Galadriel is hauntingly ethereal as she glides through one scene. Armitage's Thorin is so well done! And I appreciate that the individual dwarves are slowly brought to our attention. There's no effort to put them in our face to memorize. We're introduced to them, yes... but then we learn about each of them through events, not as part of a checklist of personalities.

A Jackson/Boyens/Walsh adaption of Tolkien's works should never be expected to be a page-to-screen of the book. Jackson is telling his version of the story while staying true to the heart and sensibilities of Tolkien's world, imho. I found this to be true with The Lord of the Rings, and now again with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Howard Shore's music remains as much a character of these films as anything visual. The themes from LotR are fitted nicely into Hobbit plotlines. For me, these trigger an emotional response from giggles to tears. It also subconsciously put me into the sentiment of the event straight-away. Within the familiar themes, the new music representing the Dwarves (and The Hobbit) is a great addition to Shore's musical representation of Middle-earth.

While there were plot twists and story diversions, they were not a violation of the overall tale. In fact, there were a few places where I think the film version is better than the book! Riddles in the Dark, the Stone Giants, Radagast (not even in the book), Goblin-town (sans Goblin-king) and the Company trapped in the trees... these were full of surprises while still sticking to the basic plot.

As I become more familiar with these movies through multiple viewings and the story evolves with the release of parts 2 & 3, I know The Hobbit will be as beloved by me as The Lord of the Rings. I'm so happy with this first installment and grateful to have Jackson at the helm! I can't wait to have all 6 extended editions of Jackson's adaptation of Tolkien's tales. Two of the greatest storytellers of all times.

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Subject User Time
Official Hobbit Review Thread #30 - Seeing it again this weekend, or for the first time? Post your reviews here! Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Dec 21 2012, 1:29pm
    My Line Party report and Review after 6 shows. grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 22 2012, 4:33am
        Pssst, Gramma Starling Send a private message to Starling Dec 22 2012, 6:33am
        Gramma! Pimmiko Send a private message to Pimmiko Dec 22 2012, 8:32am
        Love your reviews! Alcarcalime Send a private message to Alcarcalime Dec 22 2012, 1:52pm
        Cheers, Gramma! Carcharoth Send a private message to Carcharoth Dec 22 2012, 2:54pm
            Oh... Carcharoth Send a private message to Carcharoth Dec 22 2012, 3:19pm
        Similar experience with the film... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Dec 23 2012, 7:02am
        Pertaining to changes (1) from the book: silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Dec 27 2012, 11:46pm
    I posted in previous thread about my bad experience rings7 Send a private message to rings7 Dec 22 2012, 4:32pm
        Wild, right? totoro Send a private message to totoro Dec 22 2012, 6:31pm
            Honestly, it's not that it improved with a second viewing rings7 Send a private message to rings7 Dec 22 2012, 9:15pm
    I must have been in the wrong theatre! TomthePilgrim Send a private message to TomthePilgrim Dec 23 2012, 4:41pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.