Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Galadriel will be in the battle of Dol Guldur

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 21 2012, 7:03pm

Post #1 of 23 (803 views)
Shortcut
If Galadriel will be in the battle of Dol Guldur Can't Post

What do you want to see from her.

- Dark form same as in FOTR with destruction magic.
- Duelling with Sauron
- Normal form with destruction magic.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 21 2012, 7:30pm

Post #2 of 23 (425 views)
Shortcut
This does seem to be a popular topic... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen quite a few threads about this in the last few days. Personally, i would like to see an Elf Witch doing battle 'A la Silmarillian' style :P It's probably our only chance to see elf magic in film so i would like it to be quite dramatic. Perhaps using the elements to destroy the fortress?

Osskil
Bree

Dec 21 2012, 7:40pm

Post #3 of 23 (425 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we already saw Gandalf's dark form in AUJ, I don't think it's impossible we'll also see Galadriel's. What I would LOVE is if they went back and revised her unveiled form to be a bit closer to what Alan Lee conceptualized for the temptation--Galadriel becoming elemental, surrounded by natural forms. Rather than simply nuclear.

For narrative purposes, I imagine that Gandalf must be the one to uncover the Necromancer's identity, but I can imagine Galadriel nonetheless confronting the dark lord and sending his spirit fleeing. Perhaps she comes to his aid in some form rather than purely as part of an organized effort by the White Council; certainly, her promise to come if Gandalf needs her coupled with her 'hour of need' manifestation in RotK suggest that this could happen.

How that would work I'm not sure. There are a thousand fan-ish plots we could invent. The White Council and Thranduil's elves assault Dol Guldur. Gandalf fights his way to some conveniently innermost tower, where he confronts the necromancer and has a chance to send him back into the abyss. But he doesn't, knowing that he too would perish (per the Balrog battle) when his heart tells him he has works yet to do in Middle-Earth. Galadriel could then step in, wield the power of her ring (we've already seen her power, after all, in a way we haven't seen Gandalf's) to throw out the Necromancer and lay bare the foundations of Dol Guldur. Throw in a line about having spent the innate power of her ring and you're pretty much tidy and ready to go for LotR.

And that is total fan invention. :P But really, there are plenty of powerful ways to play the scenario for DOS out. At any rate, I would be absolutely thrilled to see Galadriel's power revealed. The danger is that, in showing Galadriel's power the filmmakers undercut Gandalf's apparent power. I don't know. I don't want a wizard duel per Harry Potter, but I would like something subtle and powerful for the Lady of Lorien.

EDITED to add: Or she could just fight her way in, sword and all, and kick the Necromancer's intangible behind out of Mirkwood with the most gratuitousness show of magic ever, and I'd be happy. But PJ has shown a dislike of overt magic, so who knows.

(This post was edited by Osskil on Dec 21 2012, 7:43pm)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 21 2012, 8:05pm

Post #4 of 23 (406 views)
Shortcut
HATED [In reply to] Can't Post

hated the way they did "dark" Galadiel in FotR, that's one of the biggest flaws in that movie for me (but have no problem with how they've been doing "dark" Gandalf). if they do use "dark" Galadiel again, continuity be darned, i hope it is DRASTICALLY different this time out.

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 21 2012, 8:42pm

Post #5 of 23 (320 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

didn´t like "nuclear" Galadriel in FOTR either, I hope they will do it better this time. She could sing something, like Luthien did orginally but that could be difficult to realize or maybe a tornado.

I don´t think it will be her that drives away Sauron, IIRC Sauron fled before they attacked, case he knew that they would come.

(This post was edited by Nerven on Dec 21 2012, 8:44pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 8:44pm

Post #6 of 23 (322 views)
Shortcut
Ideally ... a mix of all three [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't want thunderbolts shooting out of her fingers (or anywhere else for that matter!)

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 8:45pm

Post #7 of 23 (300 views)
Shortcut
Can you shoot thunder? ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Dec 21 2012, 8:53pm

Post #8 of 23 (307 views)
Shortcut
My 2 cents [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care as long as:

(1) She doesn't destroy Dol Guldur
(2) Saruman is the main force behind ousting Sauron.

Basically, I want it to stay in line with the books Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 8:59pm

Post #9 of 23 (292 views)
Shortcut
Now that would be telling! [In reply to] Can't Post

But Galadriel definitely shouldn't. It's too Harry Potterish. I don't like Harry Potter.

Unimpressed

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 21 2012, 9:10pm

Post #10 of 23 (278 views)
Shortcut

I don't care as long as:

Basically, I want it to stay in line with the books

don´t understand, Galadriel actually DID destroyed Dol Goldur and Sauron fled BEFORE that white council arrived. I think.

(This post was edited by Nerven on Dec 21 2012, 9:11pm)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 21 2012, 9:22pm

Post #11 of 23 (269 views)
Shortcut
wind magic [In reply to] Can't Post

She could pose as in Fellowship with her hands in the air and the wind gets wild and stormy, destroying parts of the fortress. That would be some kind of nature-magic I'd be fine with.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 9:50pm

Post #12 of 23 (250 views)
Shortcut
Team Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I would also love her in a slightly changed way compared to her "dark queen" moment using the elements against fortress and dark lord.

It would be a bit like McGonagall vs. Snape. Just in cool/epic ;)

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Dec 21 2012, 9:59pm

Post #13 of 23 (236 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I don't care as long as:

Basically, I want it to stay in line with the books

don´t understand, Galadriel actually DID destroyed Dol Goldur and Sauron fled BEFORE that white council arrived. I think.

She did during the War of the Ring and Sauron did flee becuase because of the "devices of" Saruman.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Dec 21 2012, 11:53pm

Post #14 of 23 (210 views)
Shortcut
too much [In reply to] Can't Post

Have this Dol Guldor encounter if one must, but keep Galadriel out of it.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 1:46am

Post #15 of 23 (212 views)
Shortcut
You're about to be disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Have this Dol Guldor encounter if one must, but keep Galadriel out of it.

Considering all the facts we have:

Galadriel mentioned as one of the most powerful brings in Middle Earth

Galadriel pledging her aid to Gandalf when he needs it most

Galadriel is of Aman, she is Eldar and Calaquendi, at least 15,000 years old and wields one of the Elven rings of power.

The Calaquendi dwelt in Valinor before the Sun and Moon and with the light of the TwoTrees they gained substantial spiritual power compared to the Elves and Men of Middle Earth who never saw the Blessed Lands of the

Galadriel is also a First Age elf and has Vanyar blood who are the most powerful and closest to the Maiar. She learned directly arts of healing and power from Melian and has been called as great or near Feanor in power.

Feanor of course beaten only by several Balrogs and their leader Gothmog. Te same Feanor who drove through armies of orcs and challenged the greatest Vala Morgoth.

Let us not forget that Galadriel's brother Finrod wrestled against Sauron with the magic of Song and held his own until the memory of the kinslaying dimmed his light and power.

Some of us forget, trivialize or are not familiar with the exploits of the Noldor and the greater but fewer Vanyar during the days of Beleriand and the Elder days as they ended with the War of Wrath.

PJ and Co will not miss the opportunity to film and design these events, they already love borrowing as much from the Silmarillion indirectly as they can.

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 2:07am

Post #16 of 23 (201 views)
Shortcut
galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

those are interesting facts, and i'm sure pj would love to do stuff with that. but that's what i somewhat fear. Cool

exciting as these possibilities are and as painful as their exlusions may be...

jordagorn
The Shire

Dec 22 2012, 2:12am

Post #17 of 23 (182 views)
Shortcut
What do u mean "Gandalf's dark form"? [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2012, 3:27am

Post #18 of 23 (168 views)
Shortcut
dark form explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they mean the way it gets dark around him, and he seems to grow, and his voice thunders, in scenes such as the one in which he helps Bilbo to give up the Ring in FotR.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2012, 10:39am

Post #19 of 23 (122 views)
Shortcut
She destroyed Dol Guldur AFTER Sauron was defeated... [In reply to] Can't Post

BIG difference - the three Elven Ringbearers were limited in their use of the power of their Rings whilst Sauron was still in existence. They had to keep their Rings hidden, and basically used them to protect their realms. It was only once Sauron was defeated that Galadriel was able to put forth her power. I imagine is was very much like Luthien's destruction of Tol-in-Gaurhoth: She would have caused the structure to crumble from the foundations upwards by singing/chanting a song of power, and then used the power of Nenya to cleanse the forest. You have to remember that the Rings were intended to protect and enhance, particularly in commune with nature...not really to destroy things.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 2:12pm

Post #20 of 23 (110 views)
Shortcut
She [In reply to] Can't Post

BIG difference - the three Elven Ringbearers were limited in their use of the power of their Rings whilst Sauron was still in existence. They had to keep their Rings hidden, and basically used them to protect their realms. It was only once Sauron was defeated that Galadriel was able to put forth her power. I imagine is was very much like Luthien's destruction of Tol-in-Gaurhoth: She would have caused the structure to crumble from the foundations upwards by singing/chanting a song of power, and then used the power of Nenya to cleanse the forest. You have to remember that the Rings were intended to protect and enhance, particularly in commune with nature...not really to destroy things.

did it WITHOUT Nenya, after Sauron was defeated, cause the power of the 3 rings were lost in the moment the one ring was destroyed. If she is able to do such a thing without the power of her ring, I see no reason to beleive that she wouldn´t be able to do something similar in the second age, with the power of her ring.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2012, 3:11pm

Post #21 of 23 (89 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's debatable... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Tolkien Gateway the destruction of DG was her last act of power before the strength of Nenya waned...

Not long after the departure of the Fellowship she received the resurrected Gandalf. She reclothed and refurnished him, giving him a new staff. After Gandalf left, Lothlórien was subjected to three successive attacks by armies coming out of Dol Guldur By the power of her Ring they were thrice repulsed. Celeborn then led an attack on Dol Guldur itself. Once the dark fortress was in the hands of the Galadhrim, Galadriel came, threw down its walls, and purified it of its evil. It was her last act of power, for the One Ring was destroyed, and the strength of Nenya waned and eventually vanished almost completely.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 5:05pm

Post #22 of 23 (77 views)
Shortcut

Not long after the departure of the Fellowship she received the resurrected Gandalf. She reclothed and refurnished him, giving him a new staff. After Gandalf left, Lothlórien was subjected to three successive attacks by armies coming out of Dol Guldur By the power of her Ring they were thrice repulsed. Celeborn then led an attack on Dol Guldur itself. Once the dark fortress was in the hands of the Galadhrim, Galadriel came, threw down its walls, and purified it of its evil. It was her last act of power, for the One Ring was destroyed, and the strength of Nenya waned and eventually vanished almost completely.

read it the first time in this form, is that a quote from Tolkien?

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2012, 8:16pm

Post #23 of 23 (75 views)
Shortcut
Not a quote... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a summary of events involving Galadriel in the Third Age as posted on Tolkien Gateway, the link to which I gave in that same post. I haven't as yet checked RotK/UT etc., to absolutely sure if the detail is correct, but it matched my understanding of events.

¯ Victoria Monfort

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.