Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What other big fantasy films are you anticipating?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2012, 11:52pm

Post #1 of 17 (246 views)
Shortcut
What other big fantasy films are you anticipating? Can't Post

Not counting "The Desolation of Smaug" and "There and Back Again", which go without saying? Tongue

I'm hoping against hope that this July's "Pacific Rim" emerges as more than just a video game, or worse, "Warner Bros.' Transformers"...the story/characters/world seem very different, but I prefer more grounded, dare I say sophisticated fantasy; I don't mind giant monsters, but I prefer something more akin to "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" or the original "Godzilla"; not a fan of most Japanese Kaiju movies or the idea of more giant robots, have had quite enough of that thank you Mr. Bay. I read an early draft of Pac Rim which was descent, but packed with weird techno-babble and not-particularly-appealing characters. It certainly looks like a stylish thing, and I hope GdT manages to ground it with real emotion and humanity, as he has said is his intention. Personally, I find GdT to be a great visualist and mediocre storyteller (it took me about a year to get totally on-board with his doing TH, then another year to get over his leaving)! Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A85EtOalcsM

And as if that it's not enough, Warners is rebooting an American Godzilla which starts shooting in Vancouver this March and has been set for a May 2014 release date; I'm interested to see where they go with this, and again, I hope it's more sci-fi/techno-thriller ALA the original 1954 Godzilla and not just more Transformers-ish CGI spectacle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...m%29#American_reboot

A bit further down the road, the Wachowskis' next film a pulpy-sounding sci-fi actioner called "Jupiter Ascending", which sounds intriguing, dealing with post-humans/genetically-engineered off-shoots of our species. I don't care at all for the two leads, but I'm ready for a new sci-fi/space opera that isn't Star Wars or Star Trek:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617661/

Meanwhile, Brad Bird's next directorial effort is a top-secret sci-fi film at Disney called "1952", which sounds potentially intriguing...apparently it's a contemporary "Close Encounters"-type film with George Clooney...I'm interested, despite it being co-written by Damon Lindelof.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1964418/

And as I'm sure most of you know, Disney has announced they're doing the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, with additional SW films following as well; as an "old-school" Star Wars fan, I'm very much intrigued to see if Disney does with the series with minimal involvement from George Lucas (who IMO, totally derailed the series with those prequels things).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequel_trilogy

So, what about everyone else?

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 21 2012, 11:53pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 22 2012, 12:04am

Post #2 of 17 (126 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

hands down.

But I'm going to try to avoid all spoilers (minus trailers & casting) until seeing it. It will be difficult, but I'm going to try it. I'm also going to try to keep my expectations low, something I am terrible at. Unsure

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 12:12am

Post #3 of 17 (112 views)
Shortcut
I saw a trailer for an animated film [In reply to] Can't Post

Epic

that looked cool. I am into fairies, especially ones that use nature in their adornment. (as in flower fairies)

So, for design reasons alone, I want to see this one.

http://www.epicthemovie.com/

I saw a ton o' trailers a few days ago when I watched The Hobbit but I've already forgotten most. There was one with Tom Cruise. And they showed Pacific Rim.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 12:14am

Post #4 of 17 (129 views)
Shortcut
actually, if Star Wars is an acceptable answer ... [In reply to] Can't Post

to the question 'what fantasy film are you looking forward to'...

then... Star Trek 2 - or whatever it's being called. :-)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 22 2012, 12:25am

Post #5 of 17 (120 views)
Shortcut
The preview for Star Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

looked excellent. I've never seen anything Star Trek, but I may have to go see this one.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 22 2012, 12:46am

Post #6 of 17 (146 views)
Shortcut
The next Star Trek film and, with great uncertainty, Ender's Game. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found out just this week that this film is being made and will be released in October next year. Harrison Ford plays Hyrum Graff (woohoo!) - but if you look at the photo here, you'll see the Battle School kids are older than in the book. I'm not happy about that at all.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 4:04am

Post #7 of 17 (107 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Star Trek, Fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw an extended preview for it at IMAX and the audience went wild! OMG! It looks incredible! PLUS we get Karl Urban (looking awesome) and the voice of Smaug :D

Then Iron Man III.

I'm an original Godzilla fan, too. ALL of those original flicks are so fantastic!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 22 2012, 4:06am

Post #8 of 17 (107 views)
Shortcut
Oz the Great and Powerful [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really, really hoping it's as good as it looks. I love James Franco, and it looks like they used a lot of source material from the books. They gave the Wizard the right name anyway: Oscar Diggs. And there are glimpses in the previews of the China Country.

trailer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 22 2012, 4:15am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 22 2012, 4:11am

Post #9 of 17 (95 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think of the Pixie Hollow movies? Uncle Baggins is really into fairies, and he rented "The Secret of Wings" and we both really enjoyed the artwork and design elements, though the story was aimed at four-year-olds. The animation was lovely.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 22 2012, 4:11am

Post #10 of 17 (92 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wait, what about Catching Fire? [In reply to] Can't Post

The sequel to the Hunger Games? Is that considered fantasy? Either way, I'm still mentioning it!

I was underwhelmed by the Hunger Games movie, but I have much higher hopes for the sequel. The screenplay is by the same person who wrote Toy Story 3 which had a phenomenal script. Plus, I love the book. So I think it has great potential to be amazing.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 4:27am

Post #11 of 17 (89 views)
Shortcut
Oz looks very interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only read one book of the series (the first one), so any extra material will be new to me. L. Frank Baum: a new book for the reading thread, perhaps? I'll have to check him out.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 22 2012, 4:29am

Post #12 of 17 (89 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek, Oz, The Great and Powerful, and Iron Man 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Although Star Trek and IM3 aren't exactly "fantasy".

(This post was edited by wendy woo on Dec 22 2012, 4:30am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 4:39am

Post #13 of 17 (82 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I've heard of either of those [In reply to] Can't Post

but the other day, I ran across a book or VHS of that movie Fairy Tale which I remember seeing. It had this way cool house for fairies.

http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/...239/346239_large.jpg

http://cf2.imgobject.com/...0GJE4Wvgd9KRPmot.jpg

The fairies I made, for the most part, had this kind of 'story' to them. I tried to keep all the items that accompanied them natural or looking like something that was natural. For awhile, I daydreamed about creating a house made from a piece of tree - that part that gets bigger as it gets to the ground. Like a doll house but all stuff made from nature.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 22 2012, 5:38am

Post #14 of 17 (99 views)
Shortcut
Those are lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins would love them.

"Pixie Hollow' is a series of movies starring Tinker Bell. "Secret of Wings" is one of the movies in the series. There are a lot of cute things made from natural objects. It's pretty smurfy, but we still loved it.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 6:30pm

Post #15 of 17 (68 views)
Shortcut
I'm interested in how they adapt Ender's Game as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping they do something worthy of the book, and am attempting to block out some of the director and writers' previous efforts ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine", the "Transformers" movies).

However, Orson Scott Card is on-board as a producer, so that's something!

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 6:40pm

Post #16 of 17 (72 views)
Shortcut
Sam Raimi has a wonderful, wicked sense of humor when he's given some leeway... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm a fan of his films that exhibit said humor...so hopefully he'll manage to get at least a bit of that in Oz!...seems like it should be fun regardless.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 22 2012, 7:37pm

Post #17 of 17 (219 views)
Shortcut
gravity [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure if it counts but thr film Gravity is meant to be amazing if the rumours are true.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.