SCOD: "Let's hunt some orc!"

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 22 2007, 8:47pm

Post #1 of 8 (552 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: "Let's hunt some orc!" Can't Post

(Original screencap is here.)

Welcome to the final SCOD for this week. It's Thanksgiving in America, so Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and I hope a few folks will have enough energy after the turkey dinner to spend a few minutes on the board!

So today I picked a screencap from the sequence that ends the FotR story for the remaining members of the Fellowship, now that all the hobbits have gone and Boromir is dead.

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli prepare Boromir's body in the boat, and send it over the Falls of Rauros. Then Legolas starts to push out the remaining boat to follow Frodo and Sam, until he realizes that Aragorn doesn't mean to follow them. When Gimli realizes this too, he thinks the Fellowship has failed. But Aragorn rallies his two companions - if they stay true to each other, the Fellowship has not failed - they will not abandon Merry and Pippin.

What do you think of Aragorn's attitude now? Has he changed? Does his reaction remind you of any other scene in FotR? Or any scene in the following two movies, for that matter?

Is this scene enough to provide "closure" for this part of the Fellowship?

What about that much-debated last line of Aragorn's: "Let's hunt some orc!"

Do you like it? Or is it too "non-Tolkien" for your taste? Is it appropriate for movie-Aragorn? What do you think of the reactions of Legolas and Gimli to Aragorn's words?

At the end of this scene, the "Three Hunters" (as they call themselves in the book) run off into the woods with new determination.

Would you have ended the movie there?

That's the final SCOD for the week. Thanks to everyone who participated or lurked. I really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and ideas!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2007, 10:50pm

Post #2 of 8 (258 views)
Shortcut
I do like this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think of Aragorn's attitude now? Has he changed? Does his reaction remind you of any other scene in FotR? Or any scene in the following two movies, for that matter?
He is much more decisive here, because he no longer has to agonize about what is the right thing to do. He understands that Frodo has to do this on his own, so his way is clear to go after Merry and Pippin. I think we see glimpses of this attitude at Helm's Deep, and in the flashback with Arwen.

I think so ... we all know there will be more, and then some.

Do you like it? Or is it too "non-Tolkien" for your taste? Is it appropriate for movie-Aragorn? What do you think of the reactions of Legolas and Gimli to Aragorn's words?

I like it, I think it suits his new-found determination, although I know some think it is too contemporary.

At the end of this scene, the "Three Hunters" (as they call themselves in the book) run off into the woods with new determination.

It would have worked, but I think we needed to have our last look at Sam and Frodo, to bring us back to the 'hobbit-centric' part of the story.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2007, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 8 (254 views)
Shortcut
"Let's hunt some orc!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That line is cool, but it is so jarring. It doesn't seem to go in the same move with, "If by my life or death, I can protect you..." And it really doesn't fit with, "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall."

Elendil

Nov 23 2007, 11:17am

Post #4 of 8 (253 views)
Shortcut
Love it [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this side of Aragorn.....so raw and decicive.

He is telling us that while he can no longer do anything to help Frodo he CAN help his friends and do something towards helping M.E.
While not a true portrayl of the books think even Tolkien would have been impressed with this.

(This post was edited by Elendil on Nov 23 2007, 11:18am)

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 23 2007, 11:40pm

Post #5 of 8 (222 views)
Shortcut
Action after resolution... [In reply to] Can't Post

After Boromir's death, there's that great scene where you Aragorn is both weeping for him, and also as a relief, in a way, for finally being "resolved" about what to do -- at least the way I read it. It's a great shot, with the sun shining on him..and since more Aragorn is not a bad thing, here it is:

From this point on, Aragorn is on the path to kingship, and you can see that in his face in the screencap you linked. I love how his journey to the throne starts with this scene, where he rallies Legolas and Gimli. He'll go on to do this again and again -- with Haleth, with Theoden, with Gandalf, and at the Black Gate. But it all starts here.

What about that much-debated last line of Aragorn's: "Let's hunt some orc!" Do you like it? Or is it too "non-Tolkien" for your taste? Is it appropriate for movie-Aragorn? What do you think of the reactions of Legolas and Gimli to Aragorn's words?

To sort of answer all of these questions at one time...Yes, the scene works in terms of providing closure for these three characters -- you know they are bonded to each other, committed to the same thing, and that Aragorn is clearly in charge.
Gimli's "yes" and the look on Legolas' face are great responses to Aragorn's shift into clear and decisive leadership.

I rather like "let's hunt some orc" within the context of the films and it suits both Movie Aragorn and the story at this point -- Aragorn is past his doubts and reluctance now. This line is simple, clear and uncomplicated, reflecting the change that he has undergone. The sentiment, and the undertone of "toughness" and "anger" is appropriate and understandable -- it's much like the part in the books where Aragorn rallies the rest of the Fellowship after Gandalf falls in Moria by saying, "we may yet be avenged".

At the end of this scene, the "Three Hunters" (as they call themselves in the book) run off into the woods with new determination. Would you have ended the movie there?

The music used here is some of my favorite in the entire trilogy -- it's very "freeing" and "forward" in the way it sounds and feels to me, if that makes sense - there's both release and determininaton in it. It does a great job of marking the place in a story where one chapter closes and another opens.

This scene also easily takes these characters off the stage, enabling us to let switch gears and focus on what happened to Frodo and Sam. I liked that they ended the film by paralleling what was going on with each part of the Fellowship. It gives a sense that some things are "settled", but that new things lie ahead, while still connecting the two journeys.

Thanks for leading us this week, FFH! I really enjoyed your questions and screencap choices and the good discussion they generated.

Weaver

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 24 2007, 12:15pm

Post #6 of 8 (205 views)
Shortcut
When the going gets tough... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I rather like "let's hunt some orc" within the context of the films and it suits both Movie Aragorn and the story at this point...

I agree about this - I think it shows Aragorn's shift, as you say, into a clear plan of action. Aragorn's putting aside his personal feelings, rallying his companions and talking tough.

In Reply To
it's much like the part in the books where Aragorn rallies the rest of the Fellowship after Gandalf falls in Moria by saying, "we may yet be avenged".

Interesting that you mentioned this, because I'd also been thinking that it reminded me of the way he reacts to Gandalf's death in the movie too - while everyone else is weeping, Aragorn (after his moment of private shock and horror before he leaves the mines) assumes a hard face and a practical manner: "Legolas, get them up!"

(Just for the record, I noticed when I started reading LotR again recently for the RR discussion that there's actually an example of Tolkien using 'orc' in this "collective noun" way, as if it's game. From the Prologue: "[Gollum] ate any living thing, even orc, if he could catch it and strangle it without a struggle... " I was one of those viewers who found this line startlingly "non-Tolkien" when I first heard it. But on subsequent readings, all the references to the prowess of the Three Hunters, plus this little reference to 'orc', have made me think that there's something quite authentic about the line!)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

elostirion74
Rohan

Nov 26 2007, 11:22am

Post #7 of 8 (182 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien and non-Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think of Aragorn's attitude now? Has he changed?

Well, he seems more determined, because he has made his choice about which path to follow. I like how he puts his arm on Legolas' and Gimli's shoulder. But otherwise I just think this look on Aragorn's face is meant to be "cool", nothing else.

Does his reaction remind you of any other scene in FotR? Or any scene in the following two movies, for that matter?

His words remind me of Galadriel's words in Lórien. His way of reassuring and rallying others remind me of scenes to come later (Black Gate, talking to Haleth before the battle at Helm's Deep).

Yes.

Well, it will hardly surprise anyone that I don't like it. But it wasn't a line that offended me particularly because it was non-Tolkien (although it is). Movie Aragorn switches between Tolkien's language and a more modern language, just like the other characters. I just think this is a bad line that rather belongs to any B-action movie. I try to think in terms of what I appreciate in movies in general when I judge Jackson's adaptation of LoTR, not only compare it to see if it's "Tolkien" or non-Tolkien. I loved the river scenes from FoTR for instance, although they are very different from the book, where the journey down the Great River is mostly dismal and depressing. With some things, of course, I'm too attached to Tolkien's material to see the film as an independent work, but often the things I find faul with in Jackson's approach were things I find unattractive in other movies as well.

No, I think the audience needs to be reminded what is the heart of the story, and seeing Sam & Frodo gazing towards Mordor also makes for a good transition between FoTR & TT.

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 27 2007, 3:07am

Post #8 of 8 (187 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Not his attitude, but his facial expression. Reminds me of the scene when Gandalf reappears and he says "You still speak in riddles" and it reminds me of the Mouth of Sauron scene in ROTK EE. He does that sort of head shake, and the eyebrow raising and the semi-smirk. I think that's a Viggo-ism, not an Aragorn-ism though. (Ahem. Not that I spend any time whatsoever analyzing Viggo's face, mind you..... nah Cool.)

Well, his morale building speech was a nice 'nay' to Gimli's feeling that the Fellowship had failed. Because they hadn't.

What about that much-debated last line of Aragorn's: "Let's hunt some orc!" Do you like it? Or is it too "non-Tolkien" for your taste? Is it appropriate for movie-Aragorn? What do you think of the reactions of Legolas and Gimli to Aragorn's words?
It seemed a little jarring in comparison to the look on his face when he was putting on Boromir's vambraces, which was more heroic-somber vs heroic-flippant. I think probably out there in the brilliantly creative combined brains of Phillipa-Fran-PJ, they could have come up with something a little better. I don't recall them talking about this in the commentaries.... thoughts, anyone?

I loved Legolas and Gimli's reactions though ... that maniacal glint in Legolas' eye and Gimli's hearty reckless laugh.

No, we had to go back to Frodo and Sam one last time. It also reinforced the separating story lines from this point on.

That's the final SCOD for the week. Thanks to everyone who participated or lurked. I really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and ideas!

Thank you FFH!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.