The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo the Thief

HobbitBreakfast
The Shire

Dec 21 2012, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 18 (579 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo the Thief Can't Post

Was anyone else troubled by the way PJ changed Bilbo's finding of the Ring? In the book he just finds it in the dark and puts it in his pocket absentmindedly. In this movie he KNOWS it's Gollum's and he steals it. This was very bothersome to me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 8:55pm

Post #2 of 18 (373 views)
Shortcut
I didn't get that impression [In reply to] Can't Post

The audience are shown the Ring falling from Gollum's pocket. Bilbo goes to follow Gollum, and sees the Ring on the floor.

That's what I saw.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 8:57pm

Post #3 of 18 (346 views)
Shortcut
That's how it seemed to me, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like that at all. I think those two scenes needed to be shown, but they needed to be disconnected, not right in a row.

Basically, show Gollum taking the goblin and losing the ring, but have Bilbo maybe knocked out from his fall. Then cut back to the dwarves for a little bit, then show Bilbo waking up in a strange place and finding the ring.

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 9:03pm

Post #4 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
Or have Bilbo fall further away and lower down... [In reply to] Can't Post

and then when the Ring falls it could roll and then bounce down like we saw in the FotR prologue "it abandoned Gollum".

But I don't have a problem with it... it looked to me like Bilbo didn't know it fell from Gollum's pocket.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 9:06pm

Post #5 of 18 (314 views)
Shortcut
Not really for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because it makes sense that he at no point thinks about giving it back... Gollum poses way too much of a threat for him to do that... and I think it was pretty clear that he forgets about the ring after taking it until he feels it in his pocket.

hms_ocean
Rivendell

Dec 21 2012, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 18 (296 views)
Shortcut
kids story [In reply to] Can't Post

still find it funny the main character in the story is a proclaimed thief for a kids story.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 9:15pm

Post #7 of 18 (276 views)
Shortcut
Children watch a lot worse films than this! [In reply to] Can't Post

They can learn more from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings than any other film they are likely to watch.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

hms_ocean
Rivendell

Dec 21 2012, 9:16pm

Post #8 of 18 (276 views)
Shortcut
very true, LOTR and The Hobbit are better.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's still funny.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 21 2012, 9:26pm

Post #9 of 18 (277 views)
Shortcut
he is cast as a burgler, isn't he [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 21 2012, 9:36pm

Post #10 of 18 (265 views)
Shortcut
Oh I like that too [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great idea.

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 5:21am

Post #11 of 18 (156 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he knew it ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

From his angle of hiding in the mushrooms and with Bilbo being appalled/dumbfounded seeing Gollum dragging off the Orc, I don't think he knows the Ring fell from Gollum. He noticed the Ring after he picked up Sting.

To me, he didn't realize it was Gollum's until after the Riddle Game. All he knows is that Gollum lost something, was very upset, etc... then most likely put it together at that moment when Gollum put it together and asked what was in his pocketsesesss.

It doesn't bother me at all that the method of finding the Ring was changed given that rather fabulous way Bilbo witnessed Gollum in action before meeting him at the water's edge. I enjoy the discovery in Peter's version. So many surprises:D

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

totoro
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 7:08am

Post #12 of 18 (144 views)
Shortcut
I didn't get the sense Bilbo knew it was Gollum's... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but Bilbo had tried to steal from a troll, simply to show that he could be a good thief for the party. So even if PJ had made Bilbo into more of a thief in the scene, I wouldn't have cared much. I thought is was well done as is, however.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 22 2012, 1:27pm

Post #13 of 18 (139 views)
Shortcut
When Bilbo *SPOILER* ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... later takes the Arkenstone he knows exactly what he is doing at that moment, and he rationalizes his decision to himself....

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Dec 22 2012, 1:29pm)

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 22 2012, 2:26pm

Post #14 of 18 (106 views)
Shortcut
I agree, DLB [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit horrified as the scene played out, that PJ was turning Bilbo gaining the ring from an innocent accident to intentional burglary. Remember that part of Gandalf's explanation in LOTR (or is this in Tolkien's letters?) for why the ring hasn't gotten such a hold on Bilbo is because of the clean-hearted way he obtained it. So HOW Bilbo gains the ring is important.

However, it seemed clear to me that Bilbo never saw the ring fall from Gollum and only saw it as he was walking along. it could have been Gollum's, the orc's, or just a coincidence (neither looked all that likely to be carrying a ring).

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2012, 2:35pm

Post #15 of 18 (102 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on the Troll thievery [In reply to] Can't Post

What I liked was that they changed his burglaring from snatching a purse to prove he's a burglar to trying to get a knife to save the ponies and his beloved Myrtle... which he never gave up on even during a full-blown battle!

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

HobbitBreakfast
The Shire

Dec 22 2012, 3:07pm

Post #16 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
Well,duh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In that case, he should steal from everyone he meets! Afterall he IS the burglar.

HobbitBreakfast
The Shire

Dec 22 2012, 3:13pm

Post #17 of 18 (95 views)
Shortcut
I'll see it again [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'll be going to see it again soon so I can see the scene again. A friend of mine said that he thought Bilbo only noticed the Ring when it reflected Sting's light.

However, if he DID know it was Gollum's, it just kinda rubs me the wrong way that Bilbo just takes it for no reason at all. Did the Ring have some hold on him the moment he saw it, like Deagol seeing it in the riverbed and immediately snatching it? I don't know. What I DO know is not to drop stuff around Bilbo...odds are he'll just keep it.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 22 2012, 3:34pm

Post #18 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring had a hold on Smeagol/Gollum almost as soon as Deagol found it, and it was trying to get back to its Master. It makes sense that it attracted (or was attracted to) Bilbo in the same way. In the book, Bilbo lies to Gandalf and the Dwarves about the Ring and doesn't even mention it until the spider scene in Mirkwood. An evil influence. But...I still have to see it for myself! I just got my tickets for Christmas Day Blush

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.