Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
HAPPY pre-HOLIDAY FIESTA FRIDAY!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 4:26pm

Post #1 of 105 (358 views)
Shortcut
HAPPY pre-HOLIDAY FIESTA FRIDAY!!! Can't Post

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

I'm afraid Santa's helpers are all scurrying about on this very fine non-apocalyptic day… so please help yourselves to whatever is behind the bar and in the fridge and share your plans for the Holidays! I'll be back to abuse... I mean... chat with you a bit later :)

Stay Safe -- Blessings and Good Cheer to you all everybody!

*HUGGLES*

*kicks jukebox* Gotta suffer through an ad... then have a Merry Christmas, Baby

sample

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films to take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 4:37pm

Post #2 of 105 (157 views)
Shortcut
think I need an Irish coffee - need some zip today [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm holding a solstice party/celebration of getting my doctorate/end of the world party tonight, so today is cleaning & prep day. Did all the cooking yesterday and the house is redolent of good smells, but the spiced hot cider & mulled wine will go on the stove later. Also packing to take off tomorrow am for a week in Seattle with my family. Tomorrow my niece & sister & I are playing in the city all day, We're going to the Seattle Men's Chorus's annual holiday concert which is always wonderful, and then we have tickets to ride the Seattle Great Wheel, after which we're heading to a multi-family potluck & caroling event to which we must bring food. So today is a busy one!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 21 2012, 4:39pm

Post #3 of 105 (158 views)
Shortcut
The sun came out... [In reply to] Can't Post

good portent?

I'm waiting for my hair to dry since the windchill is -2. Then I'm off to do Solstice shopping and as much Christmas shopping as I can do ahead of time.

Then I'll go buy tickets for The Hobbit on Christmas Day. I remembered that I had $5 off coupons from buying the LOTR Blu-ray discs for $10 each. If these coupons really work, that means I got the discs for $5 each... good deal, hun? Now we just need to get the blu-ray player we scavenged out of the trash set up. lol.

Tonight my long time friend will come by for music, snacks, and candlelight. It's my quiet tradition for Solstice. Sharon has been with me on Solstice since the mid 80s and I like our quiet evenings. I didn't get any decorations done. It was just a bit too complicated this year with painting and my son moving out. But I got the house cleaned up and the candles out.

Happy Solstice everyone. For those of us north of the equator, it might get colder in the next few months.. but the light is returning.

I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.

'We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,"
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.

Oliver Herford

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 4:59pm

Post #4 of 105 (159 views)
Shortcut
My annual Christmas wishes to you all [In reply to] Can't Post

My annual wishes for my friends on TORn. May the Valar bless us all with:

Frodo's steadfastness
Sam's loyalty
Pippin's resilience
Merry's good nature
Aragorn's patience
Gandalf's intelligence
Legolas's grace
Gimli's sturdiness
Boromir's redemption
Eowyn's courage
Eomer's vitality
Theoden's second chance
Faramir's honor
Galadriel's wisdom
Arwen's compassion

(I see I need to work up a new one of these including characters from The Hobbit, although "Thorin's pride", for example, isn't necessarily something we would want wished on us.)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:02pm

Post #5 of 105 (149 views)
Shortcut
So then, getting your doctorate . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . signals the end of the world? Angelic Seriously have a great time at your party and in Seattle. We were in Seattle for the first time every last summer and loved it. Beautiful city.

We've got half the family coming tomorrow, so went out shopping this morning and bought waaay too much food and drink. But that's part of being hospitable.

Enjoy!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:05pm

Post #6 of 105 (153 views)
Shortcut
A lovely observance of the solstice [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!

I'm afraid here in Texas, the winter solstice means we're turning back toward the searing heat of the summer. I'm hoping we do have some more cold spells in January and February, since we rarely get much winter any more. We're already in a drought, too, although we might get some rain/sleet on Christmas Day, which leaves me with mixed feelings---we need the moisture, but gee, on Christmas Day?

All the best to you, Magpie!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2012, 5:09pm

Post #7 of 105 (134 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know Seattle had a huge ferris wheel [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the Eye in London! I've heard you got some snow out your way, so you can enjoy some very wintery scenes while riding it!

Doctorate/End of the World? Well, end of the world of studies towards the degree, definitely, and that is definitely something to celebrate! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2012, 5:17pm

Post #8 of 105 (142 views)
Shortcut
You don't like [In reply to] Can't Post

the way wet hair turns to crackly ice when the temps dip well below freezing?

Tongue

I like that Solstice song, and the way it reminds us of the constant cycling of the seasons! Smile

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2012, 5:17pm

Post #9 of 105 (161 views)
Shortcut
Happy Christmas/Yule/Holiday Of Choice/Apocalypse! [In reply to] Can't Post

*grabs hot chocolate with rum*

I'm off out shortly to an End of the World show with Professor Brian Cox ('im off the telly) and a comedian, which ought to be a laugh. And possibly educational too.

Have a lovely holiday everyone!

Storm clouds

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2012, 5:19pm

Post #10 of 105 (158 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will come in and help myself to a mulled wine.

Finished work this morning, not back in til the New Year now! We have the family over for Christmas, so it'll be busy to begin with, but after that should be able to relax for a few days.

My new neice Sya was born last Sunday. She's just beautiful. Felt a little sad when I held her for the first time though, thinking about Dylan, the brother she will never meet. Still, I look forward to watching her grow.

Hope you all enjoy the holidays! X

(This post was edited by Jazmine on Dec 21 2012, 5:21pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2012, 5:24pm

Post #11 of 105 (163 views)
Shortcut
And happy holidays to you and all and sundry, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been folks dropping by here throughout the day, it's been so busy!

Got to scramble home after work and get things ready for going caroling tonight - then we'll all come back to my house for coffee, cocoa, goodies, and a Yankee swap!

All three kids will be home, so we'll all head to the in-laws for Christmas day, and invade my Dad the day after! Laugh

Will you be going to your Mom's, gramma?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2012, 5:29pm

Post #12 of 105 (128 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

You wonderful annual wishes are always so appreciated, especially as we head into a new year! Cool

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:34pm

Post #13 of 105 (135 views)
Shortcut
It is a time to gather the light of day [In reply to] Can't Post

and listen to the quiet of the wood and the occasional rustlings of the leaves on the oak and beech. It is a time like this that the song of a single bird is a symphony of one and i find delight with the day.

Gramma and all i made a hugerer amount of turkey soup than i thought with organic glutton free pasta and several fresh herbs and fresh carrots. I will heft it onto the bar (laddle inside) for any or all takers. I got rave reviews from mrs. sil by the way. There will also be a plate of sharp cheddar and goat milk feta cheese to add if you have a mind to too.

Young sil has another indoor track meet at drew university with his hs team this afternoon/evening. He is just recovered from a spider bite on his wrist that reddened his whole forearm. Antibiotics were taken to ward of infection. All is well.

Yesterday and today i went for it (before the deluge came today) and got the rest of the remaining dirt from the turn-around area and wheel-barrowed 17 loads up in back to get that back lot i cleared of brush, thorns, and junk and got it pretty darn level. Yesterday i graded it fairly well and will again in the spring before i seed it. I should get a shot of it soon. Good hard work help me to deal with the tragedy this week. I could not run due to a broken middle toe but that pales from what was felt this week.

Mrs. sil is responsible for the holiday decor at 3 different stations where she works and she delights in doing that.

I took on a new instructor with the ancient art of feline yoga.Here he is in all of his supple-ness. It is our very fine laid back pip-pepLaugh.

Have a fine weekend and holiday everyone please:)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:37pm

Post #14 of 105 (139 views)
Shortcut
*brews up some peppermint coffee* [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really enjoying my Christmas vacation; at a month long, it's my longest vacation all year. I've been sleeping in until after the sun comes up, and enjoying cocooning. We had to buy a car, because my dear bozomobile didn't pass the emission, and it cost less to buy a new (used) car than to fix it. We bought the new one at a thrift store for Habitat for Humanity; who knew you could get a car at a thrift store? It's bigger than my little clown car, which I don't like, but Uncle Baggins has been complaining for years about how hard it was to get in and out of my old car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:39pm

Post #15 of 105 (134 views)
Shortcut
Have a great visit, Doctor Anneal:)\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2012, 5:41pm

Post #16 of 105 (129 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my! Congratulations, auntie! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Sya"! That's a new name to me, how is it pronounced? "sigh-ah", "see-ah", or am I missing the mark entirely? A loving welcome to her, may she have a blessed life, and be a blessing to others!

Love the photo of your two "kids"! Heart

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:42pm

Post #17 of 105 (127 views)
Shortcut
Ooo, i like your poem [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to pick up the soundtrack soon. It is a gotta-have item.
Happy Solstice to you Magpie:)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2012, 5:43pm

Post #18 of 105 (123 views)
Shortcut
What a way to celebrate the day! [In reply to] Can't Post

End of the world, at the end of the year...have a great time! Laugh

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:45pm

Post #19 of 105 (118 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

It is very much appreciated.

A very delightful and peaceful holiday to you two:).

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:47pm

Post #20 of 105 (120 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a fine plan Eledlwen. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the same back to you:).

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:50pm

Post #21 of 105 (116 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy your evening out! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like great holiday fare. Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:52pm

Post #22 of 105 (117 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas Jazmine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly what a family needs this time of year, brand new life and all her wiggleness:). Blessed be!

Cheers!!!Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:52pm

Post #23 of 105 (124 views)
Shortcut
A toast of wassail to the new member of your family [In reply to] Can't Post

May watching little Sya grow be a balm for your family's wounds.

Thank you so much for the photo of the dogs! What a handsome pair they make, and with the fireplace in the background seem to have an almost Tolkien-esque air.

Merry Christmas Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:54pm

Post #24 of 105 (117 views)
Shortcut
Never a dull moment with you d [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
Have a joyous holiday:)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 21 2012, 5:55pm

Post #25 of 105 (117 views)
Shortcut
Caroling! [In reply to] Can't Post

For some years when my kids were young, a friend would host a caroling party every December. She had a good sense of humor and would always start us out with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer", which is now permanently embedded in my brain.

She also handed out jingle bells on red cords for us each to wear. So of course it's MY kids who walk around jangling the bells and intoning, "Bring out your dead. Bring out your dead."

That's what happens when you raise kids on Monty Python Tongue

A very merry holiday to you and yours!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.