Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - The Haradrim

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2012, 2:20pm

Post #1 of 9 (968 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - The Haradrim Can't Post

At last we come to our last Screencap of the Day for 2012.

Frodo, Sam and Gollum sight the Haradrim.

1.) What are your thoughts on the design of the Haradrim? Armor? Weapons?

2.) What sort of story do their eyes tell us? (as there's nothing else to really go by)

3.) Any other thoughts or comments?

Many thanks for those who joined in this month! Be back here in a month's time when the first volunteer thread of 2013 surfaces for February. Have a safe and happy holiday season! Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Dec 20 2012, 2:20pm)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 20 2012, 8:14pm

Post #2 of 9 (447 views)
Shortcut
The Haradrim [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) I like it for the most part. It shows a Middle Eastern influence while also seeming like a distinct culture. The only downside is that it does little to dispel the accusations of racism that sometimes get leveled at Tolkien. Not sure how you would avoid that while staying true to the book though.

2.) They seem very calm. They have no idea they're about to be ambushed by Rangers of Ithilien. Some are looking down and don't seem especially happy to be there. This likely ties into Faramir's comments about the Southrons being coerced into war by lies and threats of the Dark Lord.

3.) I would assume these are Men of Near Harad, based on their skin tone and manner of dress. Those of Far Harad were described as darker of skin tone with more of an African influence.

By the way, I'm fairly new here so this is my first SCOD thread!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2012, 3:10pm

Post #3 of 9 (387 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

and to SCOD! Smile

I'm definitely right there with you in terms of some of the Haradrim not being really enthusiastic about this whole thing, though I imagine there's plenty there that are nothing of the sort. Afterall, they might just be getting numb feet. Tongue

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2012, 7:55am

Post #4 of 9 (409 views)
Shortcut
Very Intriguing looking [In reply to] Can't Post

Their whole look makes you want to know more about them. They definitely have a Middle-Eastern look which made me uncomfortable at the time with tensions running high. I didn't like the idea that the film that I loved seemed to reflect the "us vs. them" mentality that was all too present. I don't think that was the intention at all. I really wish that Sam's thoughts from the book - how he didn't like to see Men fighting Men, and how he wondered what had brought them so far, and would they rather be home - had been left in the theatrical version. I didn't mind Faramir getting the lines, but I wish the scene had been given the same weight and emphasis that it had in the book.

Thanks, One Ringer!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2012, 4:37am

Post #5 of 9 (489 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally find that the book (granted I might be looking at this in a different way) is as equally weighed on the subject as it is here. It's one of the moments that passes so quickly that you might easily forget it, yet it leaves such a lasting impression. You can have someone come along and see/read the sequence and suddenly have a complete revelation. It's not something you're always thinking of (or that stands out), but is always present within.

willowing
Lorien

Dec 26 2012, 5:02am

Post #6 of 9 (410 views)
Shortcut
The Haradrim [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene speaks of a highly skilled people and culture.

Where this scene is taking place, the outfits, armour and weapons are not exactly camoflaged so as to blend in with the bushy surroundings.

Another thing noticeable is their mouths are covered perhaps a way of conversing with each other in muffled tones without being heard by the enemy. Judging from their eyes it would denote a sense of pre-occupation.

For a minute there I thought they were out for a Sunday stroll.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 1:06pm

Post #7 of 9 (305 views)
Shortcut
hmm nice [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) What are your thoughts on the design of the Haradrim? Armor? Weapons?

I like the design, not too similar to real-life middle-eastern styles, but also not too far. They are perhaps too rugged and makeshift for me though. Other Easterling designs were cooler (like golden armoured ones etc.)

2.) What sort of story do their eyes tell us? (as there's nothing else to really go by)

I think there is something to go by... they seem very one-track-minded... and quite subdued too IMO

3.) Any other thoughts or comments?

I just wish that, in the later Battle of Pelennor fields, the Haradrim and Easterlings would actually have infantry and cavalry on the ground -as well- as the Mumakil, as this sequence in Ithilien suggests. It would have been so much truer to the books, and really awesome.

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 3:01am

Post #8 of 9 (263 views)
Shortcut
well, I don't want to miss the last one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for keeping things going while we were all out buying presents or watching The first Hobbit film!

On this shot, I was never sure as to why they covered up the faces of the Haradrim like this. My guess is that it was easier and cheaper than making more helmets or doing full face make up on these guys! The rest of their outfits and their weapons like pretty detailed, though...

They don't look very fierce here, do they? More like models going down a runway at some ridiculously over the top fashion show! I like the Mumak riders more, particularly that one that Eomer takes out, in terms of guys who look like they actually like fighting...

Happy NY One Ringer and let us know when you're ready to start us up again! Enjoy your SCOD-break!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 3:03am

Post #9 of 9 (386 views)
Shortcut
glad you got in on the last one for 2012! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you'll be back to comment on many a SCOD discussion (and others, of course!) in 2013!

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.