Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
reboot
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 2:24am

Post #1 of 26 (694 views)
Shortcut
reboot Can't Post

just imagine!

id want 6 lotr films one for each of the 2 books in each part.

just sayin ;)

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 4:07am

Post #2 of 26 (395 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

Book 6 would need a lot of work to sell it to a main-stream audience.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 8:01am

Post #3 of 26 (369 views)
Shortcut
If it is ever remade [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine they will decide to make more than 3 films - the remake would have to be remarkably different to PJ's trilogy - the best way of doing that is by staying closer to the book, and coming up with a different structure.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 9:52am

Post #4 of 26 (336 views)
Shortcut
My perfect numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit - 3 movies 3 hours long
LOTR - 9 movies 3 hours long

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 5:37pm

Post #5 of 26 (306 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit definately needs to be 2 movies or more. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just imagined if they crammed everything from An Unexpected Party to the Bag End Auction - in one movie! Ugh. I'm getting nausea already... (the fact that RB did a failed adaptation of TH back in 1977 does not change the fact that crafting a somewhat satisfactory movie based upon the book and wrapping it all up in one movie is near-impossible)

LOTR should be 5 movies at minimum.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

brucewayne
Bree

Dec 19 2012, 11:19pm

Post #6 of 26 (290 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

The movies are perfect as it is. In 100 years, when everything is so outdated that it's unbearable, then they can make a reboot. And it should be 3 movies. 6 would be terrible. The first and last movie would be a slog!

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 20 2012, 5:14am

Post #7 of 26 (298 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially with the design and score, I say anything different would be an automatic downgrade. No remakes until we're all long gone. Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 20 2012, 7:55am

Post #8 of 26 (281 views)
Shortcut
Most people would like a re-boot [In reply to] Can't Post

If they don't like PJ's adaptations - which is entirely understandable. If I disliked the films, I'd want them re-made as soon as possible too.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 20 2012, 8:28am

Post #9 of 26 (272 views)
Shortcut
Failed? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Failed adaptation?!" Them's fightin' words! I love the Rankin-Bass Hobbit!

Still, whatever your opinion of it, I think it proves that you can do an adaptation of the story in one movie. There was very little that they cut. Heck, PJ himself got much longer books into one movie each with LOTR. I really don't understand the notion that The Hobbit somehow would only work as multiple movies.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 8:47pm

Post #10 of 26 (265 views)
Shortcut
Beorn, Beorn, Beorn... [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 9:47pm

Post #11 of 26 (327 views)
Shortcut
I'd like a reboot [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to have a different version. I'd love to see what someone else could do with the material.

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 22 2012, 8:16pm

Post #12 of 26 (242 views)
Shortcut
"Remarkably different" indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I imagine they will decide to make more than 3 films - the remake would have to be remarkably different to PJ's trilogy - the best way of doing that is by staying closer to the book, and coming up with a different structure.

What with the critical, commercial and fan success of the trilogy, I don't think any director or any studio will want to touch it with a barge-pole. Not for a long, long time.

The only "remarkably different" thing I can see happening, therefore, is HBO taking it on and treating us to three seasons of ten episodes.

A thirty hour version, rather than 10? Yes, please. The potential is quite awesome...

"Show...a little more respect...for faerie tales, Riskbreaker."

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 22 2012, 9:06pm

Post #13 of 26 (238 views)
Shortcut
No reboot [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind reboots for other movies, like the new "Conan the Barbarian" reboot I really enjoyed (moreso than the originals). But with LOTR, it already feels as perfect as can be. I can't picture anyone else portraying Frodo, or Aragorn, or Gandalf. And I definitely can't see another actor mocapping as brilliantly as Andy Serkis's Gollum. And I don't know what else you could put in to the films. The only major things left out were Old Forest/Bombadil/Barrow Downs (which would've been cool), and the scouring of the Shire. I couldn't picture LOTR being split over 3 movies for each book. It'll work for The Hobbit, since we get things that happened during that time into the film.

But hey, if it was rebooted, no doubt I'd probably see it. Although, if they ever do reboot it, don't do it any time soon. Wait another 10-15 years, maybe 20. But LOTR can stand the test of time, so I don't think it'll need rebooting. Most films that get reboots weren't huge, Oscar-winning successes (sometime), that have already been critically acclaimed and loved worldwide.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 22 2012, 10:52pm

Post #14 of 26 (304 views)
Shortcut
I reckon HBO and the BBC [In reply to] Can't Post

could make a good go of it. If rebooted I would like a less spectacular, more faithful to the books version, with less emphasis on spectacle and more on the story as is. I could sacrifice the cgi stuff for a scaled down version. HBO has the cash and the BBC the talent. We have seen from GOT that they are more than capable of giving us a very high quality production, and its made in Ireland. I dont see a problem with different actors playing the parts, I mean people seemed to like a Hunt for Gollum alright.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 9:10am

Post #15 of 26 (261 views)
Shortcut
Not the BBC [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from Doctor Who, I don't really watch any other dramas/series on BBC. I think Merlin is awful. I'm not sure they could pull it off. Crazy

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 23 2012, 2:14pm

Post #16 of 26 (206 views)
Shortcut
wow Dan [In reply to] Can't Post

you must be very young if you dont remember the classic BBC costume dramas, of Dickens, Mrs Gaskell, Bronte sisters? What about Bleak House, or Cranford or Pride and Prejudice? they are the highest quality period dramas in the world. World class character actors, Dont judge the BBC on Merlin, its a kids show, its hardly representative.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 23 2012, 2:17pm

Post #17 of 26 (222 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a fan of costume dramas (I've tried Downton Abbey...), but it's not my "thing". I've seen snippets of Bleak House, Cranford and Pride & Prejudice, but like I said, it's not my kind of programme.

Merlin was the best "fantasy" example I could think of, comparable to Tolkien.

Smile

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 23 2012, 5:07pm

Post #18 of 26 (238 views)
Shortcut
I have heard the BBC is making [In reply to] Can't Post

a new fantasy series from the book Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Its supposed to be Harry Potter for adults. In 2013, I wait to see if its any good.

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 24 2012, 12:22am

Post #19 of 26 (188 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If rebooted I would like a less spectacular, more faithful to the books version, with less emphasis on spectacle and more on the story as is. I could sacrifice the cgi stuff for a scaled down version...We have seen from GOT that they are more than capable of giving us a very high quality production

Couldn't have put it better myself. "Game of Thrones" amply demonstrates HBO's capacity to tackle to huge, labyrinthine narratives whilst maintaining the perfect balance between the personal, intimate, character-driven drama and jaw-dropping spectacle (Season 2's "Blackwater" episode was simply sensational)...

They'd have to take it all to new heights in order to get anywhere near doing LotR justice, but, you're right, I'd be happy if they didn't try to emulate Jackson. A much lower-key interpretation would be preferable and, given the extra twenty hours or so they'd have to tell the tale, the potential depth of such a "reboot" would be quite tantalising...

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Dec 24 2012, 12:23am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 24 2012, 12:35am

Post #20 of 26 (180 views)
Shortcut
I can just imagine there being [In reply to] Can't Post

a whole 1 hour episode from them leaving Hobbiton to arriving in Crickhollow to Fire! Foes! and the Hobbits entering the Old Forest through a dark and misty High Hay and the start of the journey, leaving Fatty Bolger running to safety. Bliss. i would like to linger over every small detail, and make it intimate and cozy, that way the Hobbits seem so small in a huge land and a huge tale.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Dec 24 2012, 12:39am)

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 24 2012, 12:36am

Post #21 of 26 (186 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps the BBC, but others, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What about Bleak House, or Cranford or Pride and Prejudice? they are the highest quality period dramas in the world. World class character actors

True, very true...

But they're also not really similar in tone or style to LotR, are they? Besides HBO, your post got me thinking. Who else might make a good fist of it? Or at least make a worthwhile contribution to a joint production. Then I thought of Ridley Scott's Scott Free production company which gave us "The Pillars of the Earth" last year or the year before (and will shortly be bringing us its sequel "A World Without End", I think). That was a masterful adaptation of a similarly hefty tome...

Ha! The more I think of this possible future TV adaptations of LotR, the more excited I get about it!
Laugh

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 24 2012, 12:38am

Post #22 of 26 (180 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
a whole 1 hour episode from them going to Crickhollow to Fire! Foes! and the Hobbits entering the Old Forest through a dark and misty High Hay. Bliss. Evil,

Smile

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 24 2012, 12:47am

Post #23 of 26 (222 views)
Shortcut
I am still waiting for a good adaptation [In reply to] Can't Post

of Neil Gaiman books. I thought the last Neverwhere tv adaptation was not very good, although its one of my favourite books.

mandel
Rivendell

Dec 25 2012, 7:12am

Post #24 of 26 (259 views)
Shortcut
Neil Gaiman's novel "American Gods" is being adapted... [In reply to] Can't Post

...into a series by Showtime! The novel is great, and will transfer very well into a TV series, I think...

By the way, I real the novel of "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell," and I'm sure the BBC adaptation will be awesome. It's basically a novel of manners with a fantasy plot, and the BBC has (as you pointed out) done outstanding adaptations of this kind of material...

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 25 2012, 4:01pm

Post #25 of 26 (245 views)
Shortcut
wowzer! thanks for telling me! [In reply to] Can't Post

thats brilliant. I love that book. Sly I have read Anansi Boys too. I look at spiders with a LOT more respect after I read it. I think it could be fascinating if they get it right.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.