Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who is your favorite Dwarf from AUJ?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Who is your favorite Dwarf from AUJ?
Thorin
Balin
Dwalin
Kili
Fili
Bifur
Bofur
Bombur
Nori
Dori
Ori
Gloin
Oin
View Results (122 votes)

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 18 2012, 9:41pm

Post #1 of 30 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Who is your favorite Dwarf from AUJ? Can't Post

Pretty simple - who's your favorite Dwarf from the new movie?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2012, 10:00pm

Post #2 of 30 (514 views)
Shortcut
1. Balin 2. Thorin 3. Bofur [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book:

Thorin
Balin
Bombur

Bombur was the only dwarf that dissapointed me a bit. He had no line in the entire movie!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 12:19am

Post #3 of 30 (495 views)
Shortcut
Movie-wise, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin, Thorin, Bofur.

Balin and Thorin obviously had the most screen time and so were the best handled. And then I just liked Bofur because I like the actor.

And I was disappointed with Bombur's lack of lines, too! I hope that's remedied in DOS.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2012, 7:53am

Post #4 of 30 (457 views)
Shortcut
I hope it's remedied in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a big push to make all the characters very different from each other. Giving them no lines doesn't make them distinctive at all. Bombur just blends in to the background with the 6 other secondary Dwarves.

Frown

Ref
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 11:30am

Post #5 of 30 (429 views)
Shortcut
RE: Kassandros [In reply to] Can't Post

For me I liked Thorin the best. This was partly due to the fact that in the book, Thorin is a bit of an a**e and non-too-kind to Bilbo. However, movie!Thorin has so much more depth and Armitage was just brilliant in the role.

Balin/Dwalin are a close second (I cannot separate them Smile)

And then Fili/Kili - again the same, you can't have one without the other. I especially liked Thorin and his nephews relationship and how it's understated, but still very much there for all to see.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 3:05pm

Post #6 of 30 (451 views)
Shortcut
That's one of my biggest gripes [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I actually say that about every gripe I have Angelic

But really, the dwarves are just as indistinct as in the book. Definitely thought that was going to changed.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 19 2012, 6:12pm

Post #7 of 30 (456 views)
Shortcut
I thought Balin was brilliant-definitely my favourite Dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

Great acting by Ken Stott, bringing us an unusually wise, kind and reassuring Dwarf who acted as Thorin's advisor. Also really liked his appearance (He looks great as the typical image of a "Christmas Dwarf"), as well as his delivery of both the Thorin-Azog monologue and the "more of a letter-opener" line.

Because of this, the news of his death when we see his tomb in FOTR will be much more effective, and we will really sympathize for both him and for the distraught Gimli.

Also liked Dwalin but I wanted to see more of Oin whose description in Empire magazine made him sound like a very interesting character.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Dec 19 2012, 6:14pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 30 (411 views)
Shortcut
It's interesting how Bofur has jumped into #3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it's basically an artifact of him getting more of a role than the other dwarves. We get to know him a bit, unlike most of the others.

I was surprised there weren't more character moments between the dwarves in this 2:45 long film. Scenes such as Merry and Pippin playing with the fire works, or Boromir training with the hobbits. I think more characterization could have been done in the action scenes as well. The Dwarves were often a big group in those, while in FotR, you get to know a bit about each character even during fights and action scenes. Even stuff like "No one tosses a dwarf!" shows Gimli's pride and stubborness.

It's a lot harder to do that with 15 characters rather than 9, though. The personalities of the party that came through seem to be Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, Balin, Kili, Bofur, and to some degree, Nori and Fili. That's 6-8, not far off from the number in the Fellowship.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 6:28pm

Post #9 of 30 (414 views)
Shortcut
It's a result of [In reply to] Can't Post

liking James Nesbitt from the vlogs. He seems like a wonderful human being. Add to that a nice scene between him and Bilbo, and we've got a winner!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 7:46pm

Post #10 of 30 (415 views)
Shortcut
I thought Balin was the best [In reply to] Can't Post

But Bofur had something about him that I thought was great... I really was moved by James Nesbitt's performance in his scene with Bilbo before Goblin Town. That scene alone bumped him up a few notches on the scale IMO

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 20 2012, 10:15am

Post #11 of 30 (412 views)
Shortcut
Bofur [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur was definitely my favorite in the movie. He was so light-hearted and likeable and you've gotta love that hat and mustache. I only know James Nesbitt from Waking Ned Devine but I always liked him.

Balin and Thorin were close seconds.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 20 2012, 3:57pm

Post #12 of 30 (384 views)
Shortcut
I never got that strong an impression from the vlogs [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciated him in the movie, but Thorin is still the most interesting to me and I thought Richard Armitage did a great job with him.

(BOOK/FILM 3 SPOILERS BELOW)

I'm surprised no one has voted for Kili, since he got a fair amount of screen time too. I was talking to a friend of mine about The Hobbit, and she told me that Kili's fate was going to be really painful. She definitely thought he was a hot dwarf and appreciated it.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 4:45pm

Post #13 of 30 (367 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it's his accent [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I find him to be hilarious. I think he has a real wit about him, and I love witty/sarcastic people. Angelic

Funny you mention Kili. I was actually really disappointed in him. First, no semblance of a beard. I was willing to overlook that, but I still didn't think Aiden Turner did a very good job. He never felt like a dwarf to me, and his line deliveries felt "off" to me.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 20 2012, 4:48pm

Post #14 of 30 (382 views)
Shortcut
Kili was ok for me [In reply to] Can't Post

But I didn't get used to the idea that Kili and Fili weren't the youngest. They were considered the future of the Dwarves in the book, I think, and the others were a bit protective of them. Losing that, I think, made them feel a bit off in the movie. I didn't have any major problems with them though, and I did love them in certain scenes like the bit about the owl hooting.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 4:59pm

Post #15 of 30 (370 views)
Shortcut
Owl hooting [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad they kept that in!

But yes, I think they lost something when they decided to make Ori the youngest.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Dec 23 2012, 11:56pm

Post #16 of 30 (431 views)
Shortcut
Can't really pick just one [In reply to] Can't Post

but I voted for Kili.... rooting for him as I am a Being Human fan... I hope Aidan amps up his performance a bit.

In terms of the tale.... Balin wins hands down.

Some of the physical attributes were a bit silly though I recognize the need to make the dwarves identifiable.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Dec 27 2012, 5:17am

Post #17 of 30 (514 views)
Shortcut
I really really liked Bofur... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I have to go with Kili! Lack of beard be damned (not that it particularly bothered me to begin with!), but Aidan played his role exceptionally well...he was a riot every time he was on screen!

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 5:58pm

Post #18 of 30 (413 views)
Shortcut
Balin, Thorin, Dwalin, Bofur, Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how thoughtful Balin turns into such a kick*ss warrior at the drop of a hat; love RA's growly, obsessed Thorin (you can see where all that's going!), Dwalin is scary-in-a-good-way, and I loved the scene with Bofur and Bilbo. I think Ori's sweet. The rest haven't registered with me yet.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 10:21pm

Post #19 of 30 (278 views)
Shortcut
Multiple choices [In reply to] Can't Post

I love pretty much all of them, but have four favorites: Fili, Kili, Ori and Bofur. I seriously can't pick one.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 12:35pm

Post #20 of 30 (304 views)
Shortcut
Er....um... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Thorin and his complicated self, but Balin is like an adorable old grandfather whom everyone loves. Bofur is so witty he makes me cry, and he really cares for Bilbo. And who doesn't want a plush Ori or Fili?
In other words; don't make me choose.

I would have liked Bombur more if he had actually spoken.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 5:28am

Post #21 of 30 (261 views)
Shortcut
Bofur! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur just managed to beat out all the others by the fact that he's just an all-around great guy. Heart

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 4:09am

Post #22 of 30 (299 views)
Shortcut
Did it seem to anyone else that Fili and Kili weren't dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's all about camera angles, but there were a couple times in the movie where they looked like regular-sized humans, I think because the camera was above them looking down a little, revealing their true height. It jarred me a little, since the trilogy movies never seemed to falter in keeping Gimli looking like a dwarf despite his real life stature.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 11:27pm

Post #23 of 30 (290 views)
Shortcut
Bofur, Thorin, Balin, Kili, Fili... to start with ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hithaeglirchen

Jan 9 2013, 8:51pm

Post #24 of 30 (250 views)
Shortcut
You can't compete with Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was initially afraid that Jackson is going to make him too likable,but that characteristic ended up completely on Bilbo's side.I always imagined Thorin as prideful almost to the point of ridicule,with this inner anger lurking inside,and that's pretty much what we've got.

But what i found the best and more apparent than in the book,was the juxtaposition of characters -Bilbo's and Thorin's.Especially in the performances,where Freeman's is quite flashy and expressive,while Armitage almost underplays Thorin with minimalistic facial gestures and stoicism.
It's how these two characters work together in a film is why I like Thorin so much.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 10 2013, 12:34am

Post #25 of 30 (240 views)
Shortcut
Bofur is cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I admire Thorin and I like him, too, but Bofur and Balin seem to be the ones that mirror the books, where Bilbo had a few early fans amongst the dwarves, and others took some time to win over.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.