Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2012, 1:34pm

Post #1 of 31 (447 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 17 2012, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 31 (225 views)
Shortcut
Life of Pi- beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from the big film release of course, I went to see Life of Pi. It was really wonderful, visually stunning, funny, moving, quirky. It must have been such a hard book to adapt, and Ang Lee does a really imaginative and vivid job.

I also found there was a bit of a Tolkien connection in the film to, as the plot is really about the lead character inventing a magical fable to deal with personal trauma and tragedy. This is just like the healing power of fairy tales that Tolkien described in his essays.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 17 2012, 4:28pm

Post #3 of 31 (203 views)
Shortcut
Safety Not Guaranteed / Jiro Dreams of Sushi [In reply to] Can't Post

As is my style, I checked out Safety Not Guaranteed knowing almost nothing about it. I can't say I liked it. I can sometimes like these sort of quirky wandering sorts of stories but this one just made me go 'hun?' and package it up for the mail immediately. My husband didn't like it either.

I watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi on streaming Amazon Prime. This is a documentary about follows Jiro Ono, "an 85 year-old sushi master and owner of Michelin 3-Star restaurant Sukiyabashi Jiro, on his continuing quest to perfect the art of sushi."

It's comparable to Kings of Pastry ("follows a group of world-class French pastry chefs as they compete for France's most prestigious craftsmen award: Meilleur Ouvrier de France") and Between the Folds (documentary about origami). Of the three, Between the Folds remains my favorite. But Jiro was interesting in a very understated way.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 17 2012, 4:29pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 17 2012, 5:02pm

Post #4 of 31 (195 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey HFR 3D--naturally. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tayna and I went Friday night (Dec. 14) with the two pairs of "Dwarvish" 3D glasses that I purchased in advance. No motion sickness. No eyestrain. We both enjoyed the movie (my wife liked it even better than I expected and is looking forward to DoS and TaBA). If we do see the film in the theater again, it will probably be in 2D, for comparison.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 17 2012, 5:24pm

Post #5 of 31 (194 views)
Shortcut
more silly Hallmark movies on TV [In reply to] Can't Post

earlier in the month they were all about two unhappy people finding love by Christmas, but this last week the trend was for movies where Santa finds/loses/reconnects with Mrs. Claus, or the son/daughter/elf of Santa Claus comes to the big city to find themselves/help out and finds love with an ordinary mortal.

I especially liked "Christmas with Holly" which was supposedly set in a town on one of our San Juan islands (but actually filmed in Nova Scotia). It was very sweet. Even if they replaced the 200-car ferry that serves the route with one of those little ones that takes about six cars at a time and said the ferry went to Bellingham instead of Anacortes, plus assorted other little mistakes that made it fun for a local to laugh at, they did capture the feel of the town.

Seeing "The Hobbit" tomorrow night

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 17 2012, 5:26pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 17 2012, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 31 (203 views)
Shortcut
RED. [In reply to] Can't Post

I revisted this film about retired CIA agents who come together when two are targeted for death. It has Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren and Karl Urban, and is so much fun - as good to watch as a repeat as it was the first time around. :)

I also watched a little New Zealand action fantasy film that I think has been sold overseas...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 17 2012, 6:14pm

Post #7 of 31 (197 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit, in 2D. Tiny spoilers, and I do say whether or not I liked it, so Magpie may not want to open this post. ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Our local theater had plenty of empty seats, but the entire back row (stadium seating) was filled with high school students on a giant group date. I was a little worried, as they chattered and carried on for much of time before the previews started, but they were well behaved for the previews and movie.

Well. The Hobbit. I'm still trying to process it. (It's 3 hours long. I did not know this.) I think, deep down, in my heart of hearts,

*whispers*

I'm a Tolkien purist.

There. I said it. I'm not on board with all the changes.

But there are flashes of what a great movie this could have been. The unexpected party, for one. There is also evidence that this movie needs some serious editing. White Council for one.

Love Fili and Kili, and not just for their looks.
Trying hard to love Thorin. I'm at "kinda like".
Trying to like the Goblin King. His voice is wrong.
Hate Azog.

Love, love, love the Misty Mountains song, and the way it is used for the Dwarves' theme. The version of the song at the credits reminded me of RenFaire music.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it's not The Hobbit. I don't know if it was ever promoted as such, with all the additions, but put me in the "Disappointed Tolkien Purist" camp. Unsure Who knew.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 17 2012, 7:22pm

Post #8 of 31 (164 views)
Shortcut
The wife and i enjoy watching quite a few of these together. [In reply to] Can't Post

We are content to get out of the main stream mindset of 'tv usual'.

Come to think of it, it just seems saner than just about anything else on the boob tube these days.

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 17 2012, 7:30pm

Post #9 of 31 (206 views)
Shortcut
We have this fair beauty marked down [In reply to] Can't Post

for New Years Eve. I hope it will still be around. Movies sometimes disappear quickly

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2012, 9:06pm

Post #10 of 31 (176 views)
Shortcut
We saw that one too [In reply to] Can't Post

and I kept thinking it looked more like the East coast than the West. Now I know why. Enjoyed it too.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 17 2012, 10:55pm

Post #11 of 31 (202 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I gave my very spoiler filled review on the home page banner thingy....so here it is if you are interested in my thoughts

My review of The Hobbit

Ettelewen
Lorien

Dec 18 2012, 12:50am

Post #12 of 31 (159 views)
Shortcut
RED is one of my guilty pleasures. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just love John Malkovich in this one. And Helen Mirren. You can't possibly take it seriously, it cracks me up every time.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 18 2012, 1:09am

Post #13 of 31 (161 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit, of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

What will I watch this coming weekend? The Hobbit, of course. Laugh Loved it!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 18 2012, 1:18am

Post #14 of 31 (152 views)
Shortcut
"Next time, your girlfriend can wear the dress!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Malkovich as a drug-damaged paranoid goofball is wonderful. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 18 2012, 3:39am

Post #15 of 31 (147 views)
Shortcut
Pixie Hollow: The Secret of Wings, and The Hobbit (no spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins wanted to rent the latest Tinkerbell movie; he's a big fan of fairies. We enjoyed it a lot, given what it was, a movie aimed at little girls. The story was pretty thin and not that logical, but the animation and details were wonderful. And the fairies were cute.

Our kids came up and we watched The Hobbit in 2D. I was glad we did that first, so I could focus on the movie and not the effects. We all enjoyed it a lot. I wore my dwarf beard, and a bearded man sitting next to us complimented me on it. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 18 2012, 3:41am

Post #16 of 31 (175 views)
Shortcut
We saw that a week or two ago and really loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I read the book, I loved it but didn't quite get the theme. The movie made it clearer. And it was so beautifully done.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 18 2012, 6:43am

Post #17 of 31 (137 views)
Shortcut
I am really looking forward to this one [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to wait until January for it though. Ang Lee is a favourite of mine - The Ice Storm is definitely in my Top 5 favourite films of all time.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 18 2012, 11:48am

Post #18 of 31 (178 views)
Shortcut
He's such a versatile director [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like he can take on any genre and give it his own humanity. Life of Pi is technically bold in its use of CGI, but he makes the special effects suit the story very well.

I wouldn't be surprise if this film picks up some oscar nominations next year.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2012, 3:22pm

Post #19 of 31 (134 views)
Shortcut
My siblings and I [In reply to] Can't Post

have started a spreadsheet of all the Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas movies. There are so many common themes, and we have a lot of fun trying to guess the outcome as qoon as we can. There's always the crusty mentor - male or female - who advises the young man/woman who is in distress. There's always an actor or actress in a minor role - Sean Astin was the sheriff in one version. There's always a young kid who is trying to bring together the adults, and it all happens just in time for Christmas.

But we love all of them.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 18 2012, 3:57pm

Post #20 of 31 (124 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see that spreadsheet!

Some others:

Cookie baking/Christmas decorating brings people together.

It starts snowing at the climactic moment. Even in southern California.

There's usually a dog.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 18 2012, 3:57pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2012, 12:36am

Post #21 of 31 (105 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the single parent is ALWAYS widowed, never divorced. We have noticed a difference in the sleazy factor between Hallmark and Lifetime movies. Lifetime movies will show a little skin that you never see in the Hallmark movies. One night we were puzzling over finding the right channel for one movie, and we decided that it had to be Lifetime because of all the cleavage. We were right Wink.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 4:39am

Post #22 of 31 (105 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm pretty sure I liked it....there were definitely some parts I really liked.....buuuuut there were a couple parts that I am not to crazy about.....I will not spoil it for anyone here so don't worry......Bilbo finds a ring.

AHAAHAHAHAHA.....is that a spoiler? Anyway, I think it gets a single thumb up for me....seeing it again should give me a better idea.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2012, 4:52am

Post #23 of 31 (100 views)
Shortcut
Dr. Who (Spoilers for most recent season) [In reply to] Can't Post

The first half of series 6 (7?, the most recent, anyway) where we say goodbye to Amy and Rory Frown Most episodes were good, but, to me anyway, not as good as previous series (seasons). The first one with the Daleks was interesting and quite moving at the end. The Western was fun, and so was the one with the little cubes; I loved that they brought in Lethbridge Stewart's daughter as head of UNIT. However, I really didn't like the "dinosaurs on the spaceship" though the triceratops that likes to fetch golf balls was pretty cute.Laugh And Mr. Weasley from HP as Rory's dad was great.Smile But otherwise, meh. As for the Weeping Angels Take Manhattan - it was, as always, wonderful to have River Song back in the mix; she really livens things up. It was a good story, and they found a way to make the fact that the angels send their victims back in time more frightening, but... I had heard that the ending was more emotional than the final with Donna, and I was prepared with my tissues. However, in my opinion, there's no way it was sadder than Donna's fate. I still get chocked up thinking about that. Frown

Overall, it seemed that Moffitt's heart was divided between DW and Sherlock; DW didn't seem to be the labor of love it usually is.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

imin
Valinor

Dec 19 2012, 5:02am

Post #24 of 31 (130 views)
Shortcut
The hobbit, Seven Psychopaths and TV series - that mitchell and webb look [In reply to] Can't Post

The hobbit - not allowed to say anything til Magpie has seen it Tongue Looking forward to what you think of it when you can get to see it :)

Seven Psychopaths - Made by the same team who did In Bruges which is a great film. This isnt quite as good overall but i felt it was much more funny. In parts it had me literally crying with laughter as were my friends who i went to see it with.

Mitchell and Webb look - love these two guys in pretty much everything they do, Peepshow is amazing! As for this show, this particular clip made me laugh so hard, especially being medically trained myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Hope anyone who watches the clip gets a laugh out of it Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2012, 12:18am

Post #25 of 31 (105 views)
Shortcut
Uhhh.. ummmm... errrr... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're kidding, right? ;)

"Good morning..."

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.