Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Does accessing theonering.net use up alot of MB?

LordElrond
Rivendell

Dec 17 2012, 8:12am

Post #1 of 4 (398 views)
Shortcut
Does accessing theonering.net use up alot of MB? Can't Post

So I just got a iphone last week and until next month when I can change my plan my mobile data usage is 50c per MB. This is the only site I come on when I browse the web on my phone and I've already used 100 MB Unimpressed. I only come on and check for about 2 minutes then I turn off the pack data, I do that about 5 times a day. Is 100MB really that easy to use up?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2012, 2:05pm

Post #2 of 4 (91 views)
Shortcut
Most internet sites use a lot of data [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if TORN uses more or less than other sites, but it's surprising how quickly you can use up your data plan. A couple years ago I traveled overseas and purchased a block of data to access while outside the US. I used up that block within a week and had to purchase another block. I needed the access to the internet for work purposes, so I was able to get reimbursed, however it was more expensive than I thought.

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 17 2012, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 4 (202 views)
Shortcut
Most actual pages are small [In reply to] Can't Post

but images tend to be larger. For instance, the Feedback forum page itself is 11.5KB as of my writing of this (it'll fluctuate a bit, based on things like number of replies to a post, length of subject lines, etc., but it's not all that large. Compare that to avatar images or signature images, or images people put in posts, (we have an upper limit on most images of 50KB-- avatar images, are going to be smaller-- just to help people with bandwidth issues).

Some things you can do that will help (at least on the message boards-- not much will help with perusing the rest of the site aside from staying away from image-heavy sections):

Under Edit Profile, Display Settings, set 'Show other users' icons' and 'View user's signatures' to 'No'. Viewing threads in flat mode instead of threaded will help as well, as you're not loading things like the border every time you open a new post. Even still, it's surprisingly easy as Entmaiden says to use up data.

Say you come straight to the forum main page, hit the hobbit board, hit a thread in threaded mode, and reply to it. In those 4 pages, you've probably used up 100KB-- say half that if you aren't viewing signature and avatars. Do that 10 times, and you've used a MB.

The suggestions I've made will help, but the best idea is to try to see if the cell phone company will work with you. I've made changes on the fly with my cellphone company, and while they won't necessarily back-date it, they can make it take effect immediately and pro-rate the cost for the month, and an upgrade to unlimited data right now, if they're willing to do it will save you over waiting until next month.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

LordElrond
Rivendell

Dec 18 2012, 5:41am

Post #4 of 4 (321 views)
Shortcut
Thanks alot [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll definitely change the settings , I was hoping there would be a way to reduce images etc.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.