Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Radagast vs The Witch King

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 8:34pm

Post #1 of 8 (2032 views)
Shortcut
Radagast vs The Witch King Can't Post

We kind of saw this in AUJ, but I'm wondering what you all think. So the brown wizard vs the witch king.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Wielder of Anduril
The Shire

Dec 16 2012, 11:28pm

Post #2 of 8 (726 views)
Shortcut
Depends I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Witch King grows in strength as his master regains his strength. And I believe Tolkien wrote that the Nazgul were stronger the closer they were to Sauron.

So I think we'd have to know when/where the battle was taking place.

In the movie AUJ it appears Radaghast is still stronger, but I would think it's only a matter of time before he would no longer be a match for the WK. If I remember correctly, Tolkien hinted that a Gandalf/WK battle that occured near Mordor would not be a given for Gandalf.

Since that is Gandalf the White we are talking about, it would follow that a brown wizard would come up short at that point.

IMHO of course.

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Dec 17 2012, 2:30am

Post #3 of 8 (741 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I agree that the Nazgul weren't nearly close to being at full strength. I was just tickled to death though to find out Raddy could fend off the WK (even if the WK was a bit weaker than usual).

I would have liked to see Raddy use his staff a bit more like the other wizards, but I still loved that scene. I was also wondering if Raddy ever does use his staff like Gandalf and Saruman do. He has shown us he has other talents (like drawing the magic out of the hedgehog), and being a "master of shape and hue", I was curious what he would do.

P.S. Why did the WK appear as he does to Frodo wearing the ring? Shouldn't he have been cloaked?

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 17 2012, 6:05pm

Post #4 of 8 (884 views)
Shortcut
Depends whether we're talking about the films or the books [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that in the film Raddy was able to drive off the Witch-King as he wasn't in a bodily form so to speak. Had the Witch-King been cloaked and in his stronger physical form, then he would have bested Radagast: in the Extended Edition of RotK he bests Gandalf the White without breaking a sweat so Radagast wouldn't have stood a chance.

In the books, I think that the Wizards being Maiar would have been a "match" for the Witch-King, even if they couldn't actually kill him, though if Sauron was near the duel would be a lot more interesting.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Wielder of Anduril
The Shire

Dec 19 2012, 1:16am

Post #5 of 8 (733 views)
Shortcut
Good question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
P.S. Why did the WK appear as he does to Frodo wearing the ring? Shouldn't he have been cloaked?

As for what Jackson's reason would be, we can't be sure. Maybe he'll address it in the DVD/BluRay commentaries.

My guess would be that he just isn't powerful enough to take that form yet. Or perhaps he only cloaks when he's going out in the open and he's not to that point yet either.

If I remember correctly, in the books he has no real visual appearance, he doesn't look like a "ghost" as he appears in the movies. But that would be tough to portray, so Jackson goes with a ghost-like appearance.

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 12:01am

Post #6 of 8 (655 views)
Shortcut
Radagast has a really good chance of winning if [In reply to] Can't Post

the witch king, like so many others, underestimate him enough. Then they'll never see it coming!

*jedi mind trick*
Radagast is just a fool ... pay no mind.
*jedi mind trick*

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 21 2013, 5:12am

Post #7 of 8 (654 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we're talking PJ's made up fantasy Middle-earth I'm sure...

In which Witchy-poo breaks Gandalf the WHITE's staff & has him cowering like Butterbur as the Black Riders go by at the inn.

So, I think a wizard with moss on his face & who can't remember what he's thinking because he took too many mushrooms wouldn't stand too much chance.

But, after seeing TLOR & especially AUJ, NOTHING PJ pulls out would surprise me any longer.

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:52am

Post #8 of 8 (836 views)
Shortcut
Agree here [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a joy to see the Magic use in AUJ and to find that Radagast is no slouch in many forms of mystical combat. I can't wait to see more.

Had the WK been at full strength, a different story, definitely. This certainly sets up that the dark forces are not at full power in the movies.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.