The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Wargs knocking trees over

burgahobbit
Rohan

Dec 16 2012, 4:21pm

Post #1 of 13 (917 views)
Shortcut
Wargs knocking trees over Can't Post

Hello eveyone, it's been a little while since I posted here (about two weeks, which isn't really that long). But I have a question about the wargs smashing into the trees and knocking them over like dominoes. That was one of my least favorite things in the film. There was a lot I really liked, but that and the Goblin King's "That would do it." were the things that I really didn't like. I haven't wrote a review yet because I'm waiting until my second screening tonight, and I think I'll enjoy it more.

Anyway, I have a question about Out of the Frying Pan. I can't find the screen-caps anywhere, and I don't remember which vlog it was in, but I remember a pine tree with dwarves in it falling onto another tree in one of the videos. My question is, although I know that it was not like this in the film, but were the trees burning in the production video? If anyone can link me to a screencap it would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind if they want the pine trees to fall over but I wish that they would have at least been set on fire like in the book first, and I was wondering if that was the original plan.

P.S. I thought it was very funny that my user name came from Quickbeam's simple mistake and is not actually something in the film. After seeing a ten minute screening in cinema-con, Quickbeam reported that Bilbo and the trolls' said "burgahobbit" instead of "burrahobbit", and I proceeded to adopt that term as my username when joining the forums. Now it turns out that in the film Bilbo really said "burglar-hobbit", and now my username seems much lamer. Thanks a lot Quickbeam! Laugh

“This task was appointed to you, Frodo of the Shire. If you don’t find a way, no one will.” – Lady Galadriel

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Dec 16 2012, 4:21pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 16 2012, 4:48pm

Post #2 of 13 (517 views)
Shortcut
This: [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

It's vlog #6.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

burgahobbit
Rohan

Dec 16 2012, 5:06pm

Post #3 of 13 (428 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

So no fire, that's what I figured. I'm not quite sure why they chose to do that. It seems like if they burned the trees it would have been more dramatic. Oh well.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 16 2012, 5:09pm

Post #4 of 13 (521 views)
Shortcut
There's another shot of Thorin surrounded by fire [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's from that scene as well (As he runs towards Azog). So they did set some on fire.

Vlog 7

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 16 2012, 5:11pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 16 2012, 5:29pm

Post #5 of 13 (433 views)
Shortcut
Agree, it was one of the scenes that I think PJ got carried away [In reply to] Can't Post

with for dramatic, hair raising purposes and maybe 3D HFR impact. I wanted to see Bilbo struggling to get up into a tree and barely make it with pull up at the last second as in the book. The entire falling trees over a chasm was just too much for me. As in the Goblintown and Stone Giant scenes, PJ got carried away and I was taken out of "realistic fantasy" and put into the realm of excess effects. I was also a little dismayed by the Thorin / Azog scene but at least I can understand it from a plotting rational. The Thorin and Bilbo scene was also premature because it takes away from the end BO5A scene. All that said, I still enjoyed the film and look forward to the next installments.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 13 (421 views)
Shortcut
This was one of those incredibly pointless changes [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand that they wanted that final confrontation, but what's wrong with just having trees burning? You all ready have the threat of wargs and fire. Why did we need this pointless (and frankly, very cartoony) addition to the action? I'm surprised we never saw this coming, given the couple hints we had about the trees and all. I never expected them to be lying down on their side during all that, and definitely not that it would feel so stupid. Eh... I'm feeling bitter about the whole thing. The whole subplot really messed things up for me.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2012, 6:51pm

Post #7 of 13 (339 views)
Shortcut
if they burned the trees the Ents would seek revenge on PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Owned.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2012, 9:39pm

Post #8 of 13 (246 views)
Shortcut
You just named the two thing that I really had a problem with! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
....wargs smashing into the trees and knocking them over like dominoes. That was one of my least favorite things in the film. There was a lot I really liked, but that and the Goblin King's "That would do it." were the things that I really didn't like.

Good to see others thought the same as well!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 16 2012, 11:19pm

Post #9 of 13 (219 views)
Shortcut
It shouldn't be too hard to knock them over [In reply to] Can't Post

They're not deep rooted since they're on a cliff. And the wargs are strong.

redgiant
Bree

Dec 17 2012, 3:09am

Post #10 of 13 (215 views)
Shortcut
The bigger problem with tree dominos [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't as bothered just in the trees being uprooted by large wargs, esp. trees on a ledge that can't have great deep roots to begin with.

Much more notieable to me was the fact that everyone seemd to maintain height despite the diagonal falling of several trees into each other.

You would obviously be literally at ground level once a couple trees in a row fell into each other even at a slight angle, even if you managed to maintain your grip and transfer to the next tree. There is no time to "reclimb" to maintain the height you just lost in the 3 seconds before the next one falls, repeatedly. That was kind of ridiculous.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 17 2012, 4:36am

Post #11 of 13 (196 views)
Shortcut
At first I didn't care for it, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. Aside from the presence of a dead orc walking [In reply to] Can't Post

named Azog, I actually think some aspects of the scene work a little better than in the book. I almost NEVER say that, but here it is a matter of logistics and practicality, rather than dramatic or character choices. Gandalf is especially skilled with fire enchantments. He can, provided there is anything remotely susceptible to burning in the area, start them up, fan them out, change their colours, make them dance, and put them out. . . he can, from a book perspective, even give waves radiant equine forms. From a purely analyitical perspective, one would think it likely that, even sitting in a tree, he could likely manage a better job of enchanting the fire to act against the goblins than they could do of engineering the fire to trouble him and his friends.

But set up a situation where the tree he is in is dangling on a cliff's edge, and where he also has to concern himself with keeping several dwarves from falling to their deaths, and suddenly the question of why he doesn't put a little more effort into his fire spell becomes much easier to put aside.

Also, grizzly bears are known to rock trees until they fall, and those wargs were bear sized.

In Reply To
Hello eveyone, it's been a little while since I posted here (about two weeks, which isn't really that long). But I have a question about the wargs smashing into the trees and knocking them over like dominoes. That was one of my least favorite things in the film. There was a lot I really liked, but that and the Goblin King's "That would do it." were the things that I really didn't like. I haven't wrote a review yet because I'm waiting until my second screening tonight, and I think I'll enjoy it more.

Anyway, I have a question about Out of the Frying Pan. I can't find the screen-caps anywhere, and I don't remember which vlog it was in, but I remember a pine tree with dwarves in it falling onto another tree in one of the videos. My question is, although I know that it was not like this in the film, but were the trees burning in the production video? If anyone can link me to a screencap it would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind if they want the pine trees to fall over but I wish that they would have at least been set on fire like in the book first, and I was wondering if that was the original plan.

P.S. I thought it was very funny that my user name came from Quickbeam's simple mistake and is not actually something in the film. After seeing a ten minute screening in cinema-con, Quickbeam reported that Bilbo and the trolls' said "burgahobbit" instead of "burrahobbit", and I proceeded to adopt that term as my username when joining the forums. Now it turns out that in the film Bilbo really said "burglar-hobbit", and now my username seems much lamer. Thanks a lot Quickbeam! Laugh

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Dec 17 2012, 4:42am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 17 2012, 8:59am

Post #12 of 13 (173 views)
Shortcut
That's the amazing thing about films [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't make much sense. Tongue

burgahobbit
Rohan

Dec 17 2012, 3:31pm

Post #13 of 13 (188 views)
Shortcut
Just try to be optimistic when you watch it again [In reply to] Can't Post

It really helps! After all, there's nothing that we can do to change the movie, and after the shock of seeing the changes the first time, it is a lot easier to accept them the second time through. On Friday I was disappointed, but I really really enjoyed it last night!

“This task was appointed to you, Frodo of the Shire. If you don’t find a way, no one will.” – Lady Galadriel

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.