The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A few questions (spoiler alert!)

Finwe
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 2:46am

Post #1 of 5 (542 views)
Shortcut
A few questions (spoiler alert!) Can't Post

First off, I thought the film was great. I was impressed with how it caught me off guard in several instances. I have just a few questions that I'm sure others have wondered.

Why did Thranduil and his elves make the trip to Erebor in the flashback if they didn't plan on fighting? I'm sure they had scouts who reported the desolation of the dragon or else they wouldn't have made trip, so why ride all the way just to turn around?

Also, I realize some liberties are being taken with the history of the nazgul, but they don't seem consistent within the LOTR films. How was the Witch-King buried in a tomb? Also, if he was buried, how did Minas Ithil fall to the enemy? I guess it could have happened in the 60 years between films. Curious to hear others' thoughts.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fėanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Lightice
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 2:49am

Post #2 of 5 (351 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why did Thranduil and his elves make the trip to Erebor in the flashback if they didn't plan on fighting? I'm sure they had scouts who reported the desolation of the dragon or else they wouldn't have made trip, so why ride all the way just to turn around?

Presumably they came to see if they could kill the dragon, but decided that taking on Smaug would have been a suicide, and turned back. But mostly because it made a dramatic scene.

In Reply To
How was the Witch-King buried in a tomb? Also, if he was buried, how did Minas Ithil fall to the enemy? I guess it could have happened in the 60 years between films. Curious to hear others' thoughts.

We'll have to see. Presumably we learn more when we actually see the tomb. Magic was explicitly involved in sealing him away. As for Minas Ithil, maybe it was conquered by the other Nazgūl, or something?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2012, 4:30am

Post #3 of 5 (249 views)
Shortcut
Was he there in response to word of an attack on Erebor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did the Elves receive early word that a dragon was coming down from the North and he wanted to warn the Dwarves, and perhaps help out? Would Thranduil have had time to gather his troops and make the journey to get to the mountain before a dragon descended?

I don't think that scenario works. He might, however, have travelled to Erebor on one of his visits for gifts - as we saw earlier in the prologue.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 16 2012, 7:15am

Post #4 of 5 (190 views)
Shortcut
He was going to collect little Legolas's - [In reply to] Can't Post

He might, however, have travelled to Erebor on one of his visits for gifts

- specially ordered mithril armour. Poor kid, he never did get his birthday present.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Dec 16 2012, 7:16am)

Chancewind
Bree

Dec 16 2012, 12:27pm

Post #5 of 5 (154 views)
Shortcut
Witch-King's tomb [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure myself, but my instincts suggest that based on Elrond's comments on the 400 year watchful peace, we may be seeing some timeline shifts at work here.

My guess is that the fall of Arnor, battle of Fornost and capture of Minas Ithil may happen much later than they do in the text.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.