The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favourite dwarves in the film

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 10:18am

Post #1 of 14 (887 views)
Shortcut
Favourite dwarves in the film Can't Post

I was surprised, in a good way, to see that Balin got so much screentime. Loved his character. Now, new viewers will know who he is when the fellowship stumbles into his tomb in FOTR.

Also liked Dwalin, Bofur Oin and Gloin. Bifur didn't have much to say of course, but liked him too.

I don't think Bombur even had a line. Nori said something at the end but was on the whole very forgettable.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 13 2012, 10:18am)

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 11:10am

Post #2 of 14 (555 views)
Shortcut
Not counting Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say Ori and Dwalin. But I already liked them best before I saw the film, and unfortunately the dwarves didn't get enough focus to be able to single them out and favour them on account of their role in the film. Except of course for Fili, Kili, and Balin. You're supposed to like them best. And I don't like being told whom to like. Sly

Pimmiko
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 11:17am

Post #3 of 14 (512 views)
Shortcut
Thorin, I was going to say [In reply to] Can't Post

but if leave him out, I would say it suprised me a bit what role Bofur had in the story. I had thought he were the one with comic on-lines but it was mostly of his relationship with Bilbo and it was beautifully played. Then Ori of course, can I adopt Ori, please? Heart (I apologise my English, I'm a long time lurker, a bit shy because of that).

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 11:20am

Post #4 of 14 (509 views)
Shortcut
Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

was superb.

Dwalin was great and I actually really loved Oin's expression when he stuck the cloth in his ear horn in Rivendell. Very 'Allo 'Allo.

The acting was pretty much flawless throughout and whoever got a line delivered. No complaints there.

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:42am

Post #5 of 14 (493 views)
Shortcut
Bofur was my favourite [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's pretty hard to pick!

I thought that Kili would annoy me with his no-beard and bow skills, but when I saw the actual movie, I really liked him.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:44am

Post #6 of 14 (515 views)
Shortcut
Good threat [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my favortie was Thorin. No surprise there. The movie does alot to make you connect with him.

But as side characters. Balin, Dwalin, Fili and Kili all stood out as great dwarves. I can't wait for these to get more depth. Dori also had alot of good lines and his personality was really unique as the gentleman dwarf.

Bofur on the other hand didn't really work for me. He doesn't look dwarf-like at all.. I think it's mainly how he seems too skinny, and carries his body and weapon in a weird un-dwarfy manner. It looks like a human playing a dwarf. Unimpressed

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 12:05pm

Post #7 of 14 (477 views)
Shortcut
He was great... [In reply to] Can't Post

such a sycophant!

In Reply To
IDori also had alot of good lines and his personality was really unique as the gentleman dwarf. /reply]

Erudryt
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 1:01pm

Post #8 of 14 (443 views)
Shortcut
Loyalty, honor, a willing heart ... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite dwarve was Thorin because of his behavior and his sense of honor.

Captain Sassy Pants
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 1:31pm

Post #9 of 14 (428 views)
Shortcut
And yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think my favortie was Thorin. No surprise there. The movie does alot to make you connect with him.

But as side characters. Balin, Dwalin, Fili and Kili all stood out as great dwarves. I can't wait for these to get more depth. Dori also had alot of good lines and his personality was really unique as the gentleman dwarf.

Bofur on the other hand didn't really work for me. He doesn't look dwarf-like at all.. I think it's mainly how he seems too skinny, and carries his body and weapon in a weird un-dwarfy manner. It looks like a human playing a dwarf. Unimpressed

You have two of the most human like listed as your favourites?

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 1:58pm

Post #10 of 14 (400 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You have two of the most human like listed as your favourites?

Not really. Read my post again. I don't have a problem with his face or his design as a whole. But his body seems weird. Not really that dwarvish.

I guess you are refering to Thorin and Kili. The difference here is that they actually convinced me that they were dwarves. They seemed more broad in stature. Ori is a bit like Bofur, but it kinda fits with his personality, I guess.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Apatcha
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 3:37pm

Post #11 of 14 (352 views)
Shortcut
All of them were great [In reply to] Can't Post

the problem is that I would tell half of them didn't have much space and focus, but that will hopefully change in the next two movies. I can't agree with opinions that some of them could have been entirely omitted, like some reviewers think. That would be just stupid and would bother everybody who have read and love the book.

But there were some who luckily got wee more space and those I really loved. Especially Balin, such a lovely dwarf, and of course Thorin. He was great leader. The only thing that bothers me about him was the pine's fight and how he was easily defeated. But it also showed us how much all the dwarves admire him and would sacrifice their lives for him, especially Dwalin and Balin.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 4:04pm

Post #12 of 14 (330 views)
Shortcut
I loved them all! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm surprised I did - I even liked Kili and Fili. Shocked

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 5:41pm

Post #13 of 14 (286 views)
Shortcut
order [In reply to] Can't Post

thorin
balin
bofur
fili kili
dwalin

the rest

I wished for more Gloin Unimpressed

totoro
Lorien

Dec 15 2012, 7:43pm

Post #14 of 14 (195 views)
Shortcut
I liked all [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had to rank them:

Dwalin
Balin
Thorin
Bofur
Gloin
Oin
Dori
Nori
Bifur
Fili
Kili
Bombur
Ori

A lot of it has to do with the design, as opposed to acting, though it is hard to favor a dwarf with no lines.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.