Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo being unconscious?

hms_ocean
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 7:16pm

Post #1 of 10 (490 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo being unconscious? Can't Post

This maybe a really stupid question as I haven't read the book for a while but I remember that Bilbo keeps getting knocked out and something happening to him in the book. I know he definitely does in the Battle of the Five armies but wasn't that also the reason why the Goblins left him behind in the caves?????? I thought this aspect would've been funny and a continuing joke for the rest of the movies?
Or maybe Peter after making Tintin wanted to keep away from that image????

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 15 2012, 7:31pm

Post #2 of 10 (253 views)
Shortcut
it's kind of a strange storytelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien uses there. But I bet Bilbo will get knocked out in the BOFA

hms_ocean
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 7:35pm

Post #3 of 10 (213 views)
Shortcut
ww1? [In reply to] Can't Post

He also used it a lot in LOTR with a lot of the characters sort of blacking out in times of danger. Perhaps it was an effect he himself faced while experiencing terror while on the western front in the war and something we wont really understand, hense why Peter has stayed away from it. That or to be honest it does make for bad story telling that a character just happens to get knocked out all the time for the reason why he disappears. To be honest, not one of Tolkiens high point in storytelling like you said.

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 7:39pm

Post #4 of 10 (197 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking about this, [In reply to] Can't Post

and it seems like one of the kind of things that PJ and the writers would consider changing. It does seem extremely anti-climactic to have your hero knocked unconscious before the outcome of the battle is even known. I think Bilbo might be given a greater role to play.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2012, 7:41pm

Post #5 of 10 (184 views)
Shortcut
I think he'll get to do some fighting [In reply to] Can't Post

And maybe get knocked out later in the battle.

hms_ocean
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 10 (207 views)
Shortcut
Thorin?? [In reply to] Can't Post

But if he isn't what exactly do you think they would give him to do? Personally I would love to see him using the ring to sneak around and help Thorin out during the battle. The problem is him being knocked out is the key to why Biblo is the huge hero people think he is as hinted at in FOTR.

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Dec 15 2012, 7:47pm

Post #7 of 10 (184 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bilbo never killed any sentient being in the book. He killed a few spiders though if I recall correctly.

Like Frodo.

They have some purity that preserve them from the evil influence of the ring.

It would feel wrong to see Bilbo in BOFA stabbing dozen of goblins.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 15 2012, 7:48pm

Post #8 of 10 (166 views)
Shortcut
Spiders are sentient. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

burrahobbit
Rohan

Dec 15 2012, 8:40pm

Post #9 of 10 (150 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit book is not about battles [In reply to] Can't Post

It's about fun, imagination, comedy, riddles, the lust for gold, and Bilbo facing up to his fear and discovering his courage. The storytelling device of Bilbo getting knocked out in the goblin caves works very well in the book, where Bilbo has to face up to the dark on his own and find his own courage and luck against Gollum.

No doubt Jackson's version of the Battle of the Five Armies will be a 30 minute epic action sequence with Bilbo awake for most of it. But the "bang on the head" device used by Tolkien is not "strange" thematically when we consider The Hobbit is a children's fairy tale.

totoro
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 8:46am

Post #10 of 10 (50 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo... SPOILERS [In reply to] Can't Post

... killed the heck out of an orc in AUJ. Purity is already gone.

In Reply To
I think Bilbo never killed any sentient being in the book. He killed a few spiders though if I recall correctly.

Like Frodo.

They have some purity that preserve them from the evil influence of the ring.

It would feel wrong to see Bilbo in BOFA stabbing dozen of goblins.

(This post was edited by totoro on Dec 16 2012, 8:47am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.