Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
For today: In thoughts of the terrible tragedy in Connecticut
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 15 2012, 2:15am

Post #1 of 61 (702 views)
Shortcut
For today: In thoughts of the terrible tragedy in Connecticut Can't Post

No words about it from me; just this music below, and a link to the translation, below that if anyone wants it. Personally, I hide the picture of the singer (no disrespect to her intended, of course) so I can just listen, because of what this is about. The instrumental part says it all for me, and the vocal is almost too intense for me right now. But you can listen however it works best for you (the instrumental is first).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiJuiXoSscI

This link has the translation of the words under this different youtube video (mostly the same music--I just liked the other one better) if you click on the "show more."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2scK9Kquoj0

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 15 2012, 5:35am)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 2:55am

Post #2 of 61 (261 views)
Shortcut
My school is my family [In reply to] Can't Post

Just last night I posted about how much I love my school. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to experience something like this. Poor, poor people. :'-(

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2012, 3:54am

Post #3 of 61 (252 views)
Shortcut
Thank you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for that comfort...

That school is on the other side of the state from my school, in fact in talking with silneldor he found it's closer to him in NJ than to me. We were first alerted by email before noon that "something" had happened over in one of the western communities; seriously, that is one of those towns where nothing bad ever happens! But we were told our town officials were on the alert, and that the resident State Trooper would be posted outside the main door, just for reassurance (we also have a "buzz to enter" system here).

It was not until mid-afternoon that the full scope of the tragedy began to be revealed on the news. It's strange, how well you can keep calm in front of classes of little kids, even though inside you're feeling the horror.

Geeky Son even called me when he caught the news during a work break. And driving home, that's when it hit me that there were moms over in that town, who would now never have those kids grow up and call them, just to give them a hug over the phone...

This hurts. Hug your kids, everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 15 2012, 4:10am

Post #4 of 61 (254 views)
Shortcut
When I heard, I headed right to my contact list to check a couple of addresses [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my CT friends wasn't close but another - a TORnsib, actually - lives quite close... although not in the same school district. I contacted her and she's okay but they're all shaken, of course.

It's just so sad on so many levels.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 5:51am

Post #5 of 61 (248 views)
Shortcut
Here are some words of comfort from one of my heroes. [In reply to] Can't Post

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.” - Mr. Rogers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 6:08am

Post #6 of 61 (233 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard someone say recently, "It's not how we fell that will be remembered, it's how we got up." I find that comforting.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 15 2012, 8:54am

Post #7 of 61 (233 views)
Shortcut
Terrible news [In reply to] Can't Post

My thoughts go out to all the families affected,

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 5:12pm

Post #8 of 61 (213 views)
Shortcut
terrible time [In reply to] Can't Post

My great-nephew is 5 and was at school (in San Diego) when we heard the news, which made it all the more immediate for us. My heart goes out to those families. I lost a brother in childhood and my family didn't recover for 10 years.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 15 2012, 5:13pm)

imin
Valinor

Dec 15 2012, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 61 (209 views)
Shortcut
Very sad news [In reply to] Can't Post

Thoughts turn to the families and perhaps its time to have a national debate on gun ownership in the US.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2012, 6:05pm

Post #10 of 61 (198 views)
Shortcut
I love Fred Rogers. [In reply to] Can't Post

My eldest has said that the world would be a far better place if kids were raised on a steady TV "diet" of watching his shows, and not some of the other...stuff.

It helps to heal the heart, watching the sudden mobilization of help when tragedy happens. While this news was unfolding, our local high school kids were collecting a bus-full of items to take to a community devastated by Sandy.

I know similar things will happen there, and that community will not be alone. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 6:59pm

Post #11 of 61 (208 views)
Shortcut
Gun ownership [In reply to] Can't Post

In so many cases recently the problem hasn't been gun ownership but the fact that men with known mental problems have had access to guns.The Aurora gunman was seeking professional help but he was still allowed to obtain a gun.The gunman in Sandy Hook was known to suffer from mental disorders, according to his brother, but he got his guns from his mother who obtained them legally.Banning guns will not stop an evil person unconcerned about breaking the law into getting a gun.

Stricter gun laws haven't worked in places like Chicago or Detroit and gun free zones, like Sandy Hook, only mean that the gun man knows he has time to inflict the most damage before the cops arrive.All schools should have armed guards to protect the children.After all, if Obama's two girls are protected by armed guards then all children deserve the same protection.

sador
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 7:07pm

Post #12 of 61 (198 views)
Shortcut
How horrible! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sick, and cruel, and pointless.

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Dec 15 2012, 9:35pm

Post #13 of 61 (203 views)
Shortcut
Bitterly, bitterly sad - [In reply to] Can't Post

such a waste of innocent young lives, and such a ghastly scar for the families to bear. The community will rally round to help them however they can, and I hope they will derive some crumbs of comfort from the widespread sympathy being voiced.

I couldn't help thinking, also - not to belittle what's happened at Sandy Hook in any way - about all the innocent young lives that are wasted every day, about the children in deprived areas all over the world who don't receive the publicity or the support they need. The young lives lost through neglect, malnutrition, lack of access to clean water or basic medicines... so many, in so many places, innocents every one.

Perhaps, in memory of the Sandy Hook children, now would be the time to make a donation of some sort (if possible) to any charity that helps children survive and work towards achieving their potential.

*sigh*

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Dec 16 2012, 2:01am

Post #14 of 61 (198 views)
Shortcut
I cried and cried [In reply to] Can't Post

I was at work Friday when it happened, so I was only getting bits and pieces of the story. But when I awoke this morning, I read the paper and watched the news, and cried for 45 minutes straight. Especially hard was reading about the kids being let out with their eyes closed so they couldn't see all the blood and bodies and broken glass, and in the paper there was the paper of the children walking out, eyes closed and mouths open, bawling, terrified. Then the President cried and the brave teacher who hid her kids cried while telling the story... I cried all the way to work. I could barely talk to my customers, and Merry Christmas stuck in my throat.
I'm crying as I write this. When I came home, I hugged and hugged and hugged my 15 month old niece. I wish I could give my other 7 nieces and nephews a hug tonight and tell them I love them and am so glad they are alive.
Those poor parents, the victims, the community! My heart breaks for them!

Aethelwyne Bolger. Because Bellawen Bolger and Arianna Greenleaf just aren't me!

Rivendweller
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 3:57am

Post #15 of 61 (327 views)
Shortcut
Remembering the victims... [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading about them, even while making it even more tragic , is a way of honoring them, instead of focusing on the shooter.

Here is a woman we would have liked to have known better perhaps :

Lauren Gabrielle Rousseau, 30, teacher
Lauren Rousseau had spent years working as a substitute teacher and doing other jobs. So she was thrilled when she finally realized her goal this fall to become a full-time teacher at Sandy Hook. Her mother, Teresa Rousseau, does not hold back when describing what the job meant to her daughter.
"It was the best year of her life," she told the Danbury News-Times, where she is a copy editor.
Rousseau has been called gentle, spirited and active. She had planned to see "The Hobbit" with her boyfriend Friday and had baked cupcakes for a party they were to attend afterward. She was a Danbury native, a graduate of the University of Connecticut and the University of Bridgeport, a lover of music, dance and theater.

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 16 2012, 11:59am

Post #16 of 61 (188 views)
Shortcut
Why oh why [In reply to] Can't Post

Are normal people allowed to carry fire-arms, in particular youngsters unable to handle them? Unsure

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 16 2012, 12:00pm

Post #17 of 61 (203 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading that made me sad.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 16 2012, 1:28pm

Post #18 of 61 (211 views)
Shortcut
A dreadful, dreadful shame. My heart goes out to those poor families out there// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 16 2012, 5:40pm

Post #19 of 61 (155 views)
Shortcut
here's another: Victoria Soto [In reply to] Can't Post

She hid her first-graders in a closet and stood in front of it to protect them; she lost her life saving theirs.

Jewish legend says that in every generation, there are 36 great souls who are not known or celebrated, but whose work helps save the rest of us. I nominate Victoria as one of the great souls of her generation.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 16 2012, 5:46pm

Post #20 of 61 (239 views)
Shortcut
A little shaft of light from a good person (see link): [In reply to] Can't Post

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/...e-hug-at-a-time?lite

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2012, 10:40pm

Post #21 of 61 (132 views)
Shortcut
I agree. However, all of those firearms he used belonged to his mother, who apparently was a "gun enthusiast". // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2012, 10:42pm

Post #22 of 61 (149 views)
Shortcut
Such a shame. I had read another story that said the cupcakes she made had all the actors' faces on them. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

Bless her.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 16 2012, 10:51pm

Post #23 of 61 (124 views)
Shortcut
It's not the "normal" people I worry about. And *they* get sheriff's permits to truly "carry", BTW. // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Dec 17 2012, 1:23am

Post #24 of 61 (157 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there's the rub. [In reply to] Can't Post

The guns weren't his. Of course, the obvious questions are how she even passed ownership muster with him in the house (wouldn't his psych history have come up in her background check?) and, barring that, how he had access to them considering her knowledge of his issues.

This is just hideous beyond words. I can't even comprehend what the families are going through right now.

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 17 2012, 4:11am

Post #25 of 61 (150 views)
Shortcut
This gentle, peaceful soul [In reply to] Can't Post

has all i feel to be a saint. There is much 'hidden within' this man Aunt Dora as i am sure you agree. I would very much like to add a few thoughts from his little book 'The World According to Mister Rogers':

"Beside my chair is a saying in french. It inspires me every day. It is a sentence from Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, and it reads "L'essential est invisible pour les yeax". (What is essential is invisible to the eyes.)The closer we get to know the truth of that sentence, the closer i feel we get to wisdom. That which has real value in life in any millennium is very simple. Very deep and simple! It happens inside of us-in the 'essential invisible' part of us.''

"I wrote in a song that in the long, long trip of growing, there are stops along the way. It is important to know when we need to stop, reflect, and receive.
In our competitive world, that might be called a waste of time. I've learned that those times can be the preamble to periods of enormous growth."

"The purpose of life is to listen - to yourself, to your neighbor, to your world and to God and, when the time comes, to respond in as helpful a way as you can find...from within and without."

"Love is like infinity:You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're 'equally infinite'. Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is too."

"Understanding love is one of the hardest things in the world."

"Please think of the children first. If you ever have anything to do with their entertainment, their food, their toys, their custody, their day or night care, their health care, their education - listen to the children, learn about them, learn from them. Think of the children first."

One other note; the more i listen and get to know our president the more i come to love this man of enormous heart, and to trust this man.

Please bless these sweet children and their brave teachers. Please have peace. We love you all.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.