Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Desolation of Smaug

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 2:09am

Post #1 of 13 (370 views)
Shortcut
The Desolation of Smaug Can't Post

We finally were able to drive up to see part of the area that burned in Rocky Mountain National Park. The fire is still burning; you can see smoke in the background in some of the shots. It's been burning since October 9. The ranger said it is burning under the snow; the snow falls on top of all the fallen logs, and the fire burns underneath. But they got it out in the meadow, and we were able to take some photos. The grass will come back in the spring, and many trees were spared, but others were burned. One cabin burned to the ground, and 600 people were evacuated.

You'll see a magpie in one photo. It was on the hood of our car, and tried to fly in our window. Here's a link to the photo album

Artistically, this is probably our best shot. I honestly don't know which of us took it; Uncle Baggins and I were handing the camera back and forth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 15 2012, 2:11am)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 6:13am

Post #2 of 13 (98 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing to think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the fire continues to burn under the snow.
Your magpies look so different to ours!

Great photos, as always Aunt Dora.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 6:15am

Post #3 of 13 (107 views)
Shortcut
How interesting that the magpies are different. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if they're really completely different birds that were named the same because they share a similar coloring, like the American robins and the European robins.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 6:30am

Post #4 of 13 (97 views)
Shortcut
They are not really 'our' magpies [In reply to] Can't Post

They are actually Australian, and they are not terribly popular.

Have a look here so that you can compare and contrast.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 6:47am

Post #5 of 13 (92 views)
Shortcut
That sent me scurrying to the wikipedia article [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magpie. Apparently they're not only different genus and species, but even from different families.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 6:50am

Post #6 of 13 (102 views)
Shortcut
Heh... [In reply to] Can't Post

they're not that popular here either, especially during their breeding seasonPirate

Actually their Magpies look more like our butcher birds

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 15 2012, 8:57am

Post #7 of 13 (93 views)
Shortcut
Do they have any idea (or estimation) when it might burn itself out? [In reply to] Can't Post

It must've covered such a large area since October.

I presume the fire can still burn under snow, because of snow's insulation effect. I've never seen it happen though.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 1:34pm

Post #8 of 13 (106 views)
Shortcut
It's 88% contained now [In reply to] Can't Post

(which means 88% of the border is under control). It's at 5 and a half square miles. They never predict when a fire will be completely out, only when it will be contained, which they're predicting in a couple of weeks. I think if they got the usual snowfall that could put it out. We were up at Bear Lake that day. This time of year there is usually about three or four feet of snow there; right now there's about six inches. So we haven't had anywhere near the usual snowfall.

Here's the website I've been following for information: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3294/

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 15 2012, 1:36pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 13 (83 views)
Shortcut
like our starlings :) [In reply to] Can't Post

We only have them in the US because some folks decided to bring breeding pairs of all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare over to America.

And boy did they breed. The raptors can't keep up with them, although they try.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

imin
Valinor

Dec 15 2012, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 13 (65 views)
Shortcut
That photo is amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine being the starling - thoughts of ARGHH! going through its lil head, haha.

So clear though, how did anyone take it?!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2012, 6:12pm

Post #11 of 13 (68 views)
Shortcut
Now that is a drought [In reply to] Can't Post

when the snowfall cover there is so low, at this time of year!

The photos are so sad, they do look like a dragon has been through, don't they! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 15 2012, 7:22pm

Post #12 of 13 (60 views)
Shortcut
Now that's just mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Posting a photo like that - that could be one of my relatives!

Our starlings are introduced too. I love them, but not everybody does. We have a ton of introduced creatures here. Some of them are lovely and do good eg: bumble bees, and some are a total scourge on our natural surroundings and native wildlife eg: stoats and possums.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 15 2012, 9:56pm

Post #13 of 13 (243 views)
Shortcut
Simple! [In reply to] Can't Post

With an expensive camera with a biiig lens on a big tripod, and hours upon hours of patience, usually. Ask me how I know. *sigh*

[I might be heading out on another eagle expedition this week, myself. Dad has a new toy to try out. Nearly froze ourselves stiff last time! :/ ]

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.