Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thought question for all TORnsibs--when 'The Hobbit' is made . .
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18 2007, 3:31am

Post #51 of 59 (1382 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised you haven't seen [In reply to] Can't Post

Heavenly Creatures (if I've got the order right). It's more in the style of The Lovely Bones, and an excellent movie.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 18 2007, 4:02am

Post #52 of 59 (1385 views)
Shortcut
I hope to. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the recommendation! Heavenly Creatures was on my list of films to see in 1994, but I just didn't get around to it; I did see about 50 other feature films that year. In approximate order of preference, best to worst, those were:

I
Nobody’s Fool, Pulp Fiction, Clear and Present Danger, Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, Trois coleurs: blanc, Through the Olive Trees, That's Entertainment! III

II
Hoop Dreams, Quiz Show, Speed, Trois coleurs: rouge, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Barcelona, Crumb

III
Red Rock West, The Madness of George III, Sonatine, The Shawshank Redemption, Princess Caraboo, Natural Born Killers, The Lion King, Destiny in Space, Ed Wood

IV
Star Trek: Generations, Maverick, Reality Bites, The Paper, Drunken Master II, IQ, True Lies, Serial Mom, Forrest Gump, Miracle on 34th Street, Blink

V
Cabin Boy, Backbeat, The Crow, Stargate, The Santa Clause, The River Wild, Interview with the Vampire, Terminal Velocity, Drop Zone

VI
Timecop, The Chase, Blown Away, PCU, The Shadow, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Wyatt Earp, The Two Flags, Mixed Nuts

It's been a while since I saw most of these, and I might very well rank them differently if I watched them all again.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Nov. 12-18 for "A Shortcut to Mushrooms".

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2007, 2:23pm

Post #53 of 59 (1432 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised at how many of those movies I saw. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not as many as you, of course.

I would move Barcelona up from second tier to the top tier. I loved the way the writers and actors delivered the lines so lovingly. I got the same feeling from the two prequels, Metropolitan and...oh, what was the second movie? After each such experience, I longed for such a level of conversation in my own life.

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

(This post was edited by Galadriel on Nov 18 2007, 2:23pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 18 2007, 3:41pm

Post #54 of 59 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Wellll... after LotR? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a strange toss-up between The Frighteners and King Kong. Frighteners was the very first film I saw by Jackson a way before I even heard of him making LotR. It was fantastic and had me totally enthralled! I was SO impressed with Michael J. Fox's work in it and still think of it as some of his best. I freaked when I realized that director was going to do LotR. I have such a warm spot in my heart now for that film. King Kong, however, is a powerful and sensitive re-telling of the original (which I don't particularly care for). Jackson's Kong is dynamic and masterful, imho.

Then comes Forgotten Silver. Great! Then Heavenly Creatures. Disturbing, but fascinating to watch. I will admit being too Feeble to watch the rest. Exploding heads and spurting blood upsets my delicate mind and tummy ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 18 2007, 4:38pm

Post #55 of 59 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for those thoughts. It's interesting you like The Frighteners more than Heavenly Creatures. As I said, I've seen neither, but I remember a very warm critical response to Heavenly Creatures (I used to note critics' top ten lists each year. Of 60 lists from U.S. newspapers and magazines, Heavenly Creatures appeared on 17, putting it solidly in the top ten.) Whereas The Frighteners, if it registered at all, earned confusion and disappointment (critics' favorites in 1996 included Fargo, Secrets & Lies, Breaking the Waves, Lone Star, The English Patient, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Big Night, Jerry Maguire, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Dead Man, Shine, Flirting With Disaster, Mother, Trainspotting, The Portrait of a Lady, La Cérémonie, Chungking Express, The Crucible, Ma saison préférée, and Paradise Lost).

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 18 2007, 4:47pm

Post #56 of 59 (1410 views)
Shortcut
A few others. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would move Barcelona up... I got the same feeling from the two prequels, Metropolitan and...oh, what was the second movie?

The director, Whit Stillman, has made only three films, and Barcelona (1994) was the second, following on Metropolitan (1990). The third was The Last Days of Disco (1998).

I'm surprised at how many of those movies I saw.

Other critically-acclaimed films that year, that I did not see, include: To Live, Vanya on 42nd Street, Bullets over Broadway, Little Women, The Last Seduction, The Blue Kite, The Boys of St. Vincent, Eat Drink Man Woman, Fresh, and Caro diario.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 18 2007, 5:03pm

Post #57 of 59 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Eat Drink Man Woman [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the few movies from that year that I did see. A beautiful story, I thought. I loved the use of food as a symbol of the love between a father and his daughters - beautiful, intricate, traditional Chinese food, a link between the traditionalist father and his daughters who live in the world of modern China.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2007, 6:44pm

Post #58 of 59 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's right. The Last Days of [In reply to] Can't Post

*whispers* disco. Blush

As I recall, the movies were only loosely sequential so I forgot the chronological order.

I didn't know he hasn't made any films since then. If he ever does and I hear about it I'll have to see them.

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

PrincessWhat
Bree

Nov 21 2007, 10:06pm

Post #59 of 59 (1394 views)
Shortcut
13! [In reply to] Can't Post

13 certainly! In LOTR we had the Fellowship of 9 - what's 4 more?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.