*unlocks doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 4:58pm

Post #1 of 54 (419 views)
Shortcut
*unlocks doors* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, all and sundry! Our esteemed barmistress, Altaira, has been waylaid by work-related events today, so I shall be tending bar for a bit.

There's plenty of hot coffee and cocoa and caffein-loaded drinks for all of you who attended last night's midnight showings of The Hobbit! Wink

Now, I know you're anxious to tell us all about your experience, but I must emphasize: PLEASE, NO SPOILERS! Smile

But you're quite welcome to ask us to go read your review over on the Hobbit Movie Board.

So...what plans do you all have for the weekend? I shall be seeing the movie Saturday night with Geeky Son, in glorious 2-D! Cool

*kicks jukebox, the smooth voice of Neil Finn is heard, singing a now-familiar song...Heart*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 5:32pm

Post #2 of 54 (214 views)
Shortcut
I'm here for a change. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gee, is everyone still sleeping off seeing the movie to the wee small hours?

We haven't seen it yet and probably won't for another week.

It is cold but sunny here, so hot chocolate is in order for OhioHobbit and me. He wants rum in his, of course.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the show with your Geeky Son!

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 5:32pm

Post #3 of 54 (217 views)
Shortcut
It's our birthday, precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I couldn't think of a better gift. Can't wait to see The Hobbit!!!

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 5:35pm

Post #4 of 54 (214 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait to see it! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

We're going tonight, and I am seriously excited. :D

A celebratory Winter Usual, please, dernwyn-- thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend (and a great time at the theater)! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 5:39pm

Post #5 of 54 (213 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday, Fingon! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have an awesome day (and an awesome time watching The Hobbit)! :)

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 5:43pm

Post #6 of 54 (214 views)
Shortcut
*gets out bottle of rum* [In reply to] Can't Post

It's cold and sunny here, too - any snow out your way yet?

Yes, I think everyone is still sleeping! Laugh You both have a great weekend, too!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 5:45pm

Post #7 of 54 (211 views)
Shortcut
Snow . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

we had just enough to cool a Hobbit's toes! Now it is all gone. We are supposed to get several days of rain, then snow in the middle of next week. Hope that changes -- as a California girl, I am not all that entranced with snow!! Mad

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 5:47pm

Post #8 of 54 (211 views)
Shortcut
That is serendipitous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many happy returns of your birthday, and of your going to see The Hobbit! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 5:49pm

Post #9 of 54 (224 views)
Shortcut
One Winter Usual, coming up... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with plenty of miruvor! Laugh

Tonight! You must be so excited - have a great time!

Y'know what? Instead of popped corn, they should serve popped lembas at these showings! Wink

S-J-Hawk
The Shire

Dec 14 2012, 5:51pm

Post #10 of 54 (213 views)
Shortcut
Congrats Fingon [In reply to] Can't Post

Long time, no see.Wink

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

-the Litany against Fear

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 5:52pm

Post #11 of 54 (225 views)
Shortcut
But, living where you are... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you usually get feet of lake-effect snow in the wintertime! Evil

I don't mind the snow, as long as there's no ice with it. It's the ice that does the most damage and is the worst to travel in! Unsure

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 5:54pm

Post #12 of 54 (230 views)
Shortcut
goodness.. was everyone up late last night and sleeping in today! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am being a very bad girl to be posting. It is almost noon and I have three stores to hit today and some painting to do.

We are kind of treating tonight as the last family dinner night my son might be living with us. So it's pizza and beer which on our budget is splurging! But the pizza we like (which is take and bake at home) comes from Cub Food but I shop for most groceries at Target (much cheaper) and I have to go to a third store for beer since MN has these archaic laws about alcohol in grocery stores.

The entire house is a mess since we're still working on the walls of the mudroom. The repair is done and I have to prime so we can get it painted and it all put back together in time for Solstice next Friday. I might make it... I might not.

I just watched Anderson Live with the cast of The Hobbit and saw a friend of mine in the audience. She whipped off her boot to show her Tolkien tattoo when Ian whipped the shoulder down on his shirt to show his. :-)

Our plans are still tentatively to see TH on Christmas but I'm going to try to firm that up a little tonight since schedules will be different than in previous years with the one son out of the house and factoring in his fiancee who might be with him that day.

anyhow, I'll grab a cookie and coffee to go and get my behind out the door and get some real life work done.

cheers all.

edit to add: Here are some photos of our snowstorm last Sunday

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 14 2012, 5:55pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 5:59pm

Post #13 of 54 (223 views)
Shortcut
*gets a go-to mug of coffee ready* [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a busy day for you - but glad you stopped by!

So the official move-out might be tomorrow? Wish you son well from me, it's a big step going out that door, as we all know - but he'll do fine!

Best of luck with that mudroom, you've been working on that for quite a while, it seems.

And enjoy your weekend, Magpie! May only good things come your way! :-)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 6:00pm

Post #14 of 54 (208 views)
Shortcut
*puts out Self-Serve sign* Duties call, and I must away - have a wonderful weekend, everyone! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 6:04pm

Post #15 of 54 (207 views)
Shortcut
Nope, [In reply to] Can't Post

We are too far south to get lake-effect snow. I also don't like ice, with or without snow. When we get big snows, it is usually from the southwest and has pulled moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and then slid up the west side of the Appalachians.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 6:08pm

Post #16 of 54 (231 views)
Shortcut
One happy viewer here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the Hobbit yesterday, and I must say, I absolutely loved it. Went into it having avoided all things Hobbit for a while now, just so my feelings weren't influenced by anything I may have read, and emerged from the theatre beaming. The Hobbit was always my favourite book as a child, and PJ is doing an excellent job bringing it to the big screen. Shall be seeing it again at some point over the weekend!

I have an exciting evening of Christmas present wrapping up ahead, then an agility competition with the doggies tomorrow. Oh the life I lead! Happy weekend all!

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 6:36pm

Post #17 of 54 (215 views)
Shortcut
Caffeine, Caffeine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, I've had my fair share of coffee today. I lucked out that my theatre was showing The Hobbit at 10 p.m lastnight, so I was likely home long before most on this side of the world. I'll leave my more than happy comments for elsewhere. Right now I gotta get back to finishing the last of my finals before I begin a Christmas Break full of catching up with friends and, of course, recurrent viewings of The Hobbit. Wink

*grabs coffee and exits swiftly*

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 6:51pm

Post #18 of 54 (204 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

*tries to imagine what popped lembas would even look like, and fails,* haha. :D

Thanks, and again, I hope you have a great weekend! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 7:06pm

Post #19 of 54 (208 views)
Shortcut
Yay! The weekend. (post does contain whether I like the film or not, no spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a super busy one coming up. I've just come back from my second viewing of The Hobbit - I just love it.

I was super nervous in the week - I had to give an hour presentation of my PhD work to my colleagues. I am someone who get's very nervous - I was the most anxious I've ever been. I thought I was going to be sick. Luckily, once I was talking, it went fine! Not everyone laughed at my poor attempt at humour, but everyone was really positive. Plus, all my tickets are now booked for South Georgia.

I know a group of TORnFolk are going into London this weekend to watch The Hobbit. I wish I could join you all (and finally put a face to your name), but perhaps next year.

I hope everyone is enjoying The Hobbit.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 7:09pm

Post #20 of 54 (203 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

That certainly is a gift! When are you seeing it?

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 14 2012, 7:16pm

Post #21 of 54 (199 views)
Shortcut
Crack the whip! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to get to work this weekend. Lots of reports to write up. Prizegiving on Monday night, and then one more day and school is out!

As for The Hobbit, my friend who insisted I wait until she was back in the same city as me before we had a viewng, has, *gasp* already seen it. I received a shocking text confession mid-week. She is happy to go again, so we will go together sometime next week once I have finished work for the year. She will never live this one down... Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 14 2012, 7:19pm

Post #22 of 54 (208 views)
Shortcut
Not even a whiff [In reply to] Can't Post

of 'purse' discussion in your post. Such restraint. Laugh

Well done on the presentation, by the way.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 14 2012, 7:21pm

Post #23 of 54 (203 views)
Shortcut
Glad you enjoyed it [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you around here. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 14 2012, 7:28pm

Post #24 of 54 (208 views)
Shortcut
Love those snowstorm photos [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't the trees look beautiful? We have been having very hot weather here. I wouldn't mind a bit of snow!

Good luck getting all your chores done, and enjoy your family pizza dinner.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 7:31pm

Post #25 of 54 (198 views)
Shortcut
Shockingly ... (again, be wary of this post if you haven't yet seen the film) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm semi-glad it wasn't in the film. I do think it would have been out of place.

Everything else was just phenomenal though. Evil

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.