Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is someone trolling for emails?

Chitara

Dec 11 2012, 7:21pm

Post #1 of 17 (479 views)
Shortcut
Is someone trolling for emails? Can't Post

I got a message through theonering from a relatively new TOR profile:

Hello dear

How are you doing today, i hope every things is OK with you as its my

pleasure to contact you after viewing your profile in this site(http://www.theonering.net) which really interest in me having communication with you,if you will have the desire with me so that we can get to know each other better and see what will happen in future. i will be very happy if you can write me through my email for easiest communication and to know all about each other OK,

here is my email. i will be waiting to hear from you,

Only thing, I had next to no info in my profile and I'm somewhat surprised that someone using theonering would prefer communication to be offsite. I hope I'm not going to offend a genuine attempt for a penpal, but it feels like someone fishing for valid email addresses or something. Has anyone else had this?

- Chitara

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 11 2012, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 17 (206 views)
Shortcut
Could you please [In reply to] Can't Post

PM me with the email address of the sender or, better yet, forward the email to me at altaira@theonering.net?

I'm sure no one officially from TORn would send such an email but, unfortunately, it's relatively easy to fake an email address. FYI, our general policy is to never use someone's registered email unless they use it to enter a contest, etc. We did use them just once that I know of recently in a 'community service' capacity to make sure all board members who want them got invitations for Oscar Party tickets. I'll also be sending one more community service email in the next week or so to let people know that if they're interested in the "Fellowship" mini-social network on our new Home Page, they must sign up for it separately from their board registration. Other than those two emails, I can't think of any time in the 12+ years I've been here that we've sent blanket emails using people's registered email addresses.

If it persists, or if anyone PMs you with a similar message, please continue to PM me or forward me the messages. We don't want anyone doing that any more than you do!

Thanks! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 11 2012, 8:05pm)

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 10:50pm

Post #3 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
I got the same message... [In reply to] Can't Post

i forwarded the message to you.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 11 2012, 11:14pm

Post #4 of 17 (212 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! It's not coming from the boards and they don't have your email addresses [In reply to] Can't Post

It's coming from the "Fellowship" part of the site.

The email isn't coming directly from that person, it's a notification from WordPress that someone sent you a message via the Fellowship part of the site. It's similar to the alerts you can get here on the boards if someone sends you a PM; the difference being with a PM alert email you can only see the subject line of the PM whereas it appears that with a Fellowship notification you can see the entire message. That message is sent to your Fellowship registered email address by WordPress, not by the person who left you a message.

Whew! You had me going there for a while. I know for a fact that if you don't enter a public email in your board profile, spammers have never been able to see it or get to it. I thought for a minute they figured out how.

I've alerted Calisuri that there appears to be a spammer on the Fellowship part of the site and I'm sure they'll take appropriate action.

Thanks again to both of you for the alert! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 1:14am

Post #5 of 17 (259 views)
Shortcut
I get this exact type in my regular [In reply to] Can't Post

email spam folder. Almost word for word, form people claiming to be my "dearest" in the subject line, to "business opportunity." I'ts an expansion of some sort of sam.

My favorite ever was this:

"We are offering an obscured business opportunity . . ."

I wanted to reply, "yes, I'm feeling obscure, and secretive as well. Can you let me know the "dark details"? (No, I didn't actually reply, but I was tempted!CrazyWink)

It's really too bad it's gotten here, but our admins are the best. They'll be on top of it in no time.Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 6:20am

Post #6 of 17 (247 views)
Shortcut
I just misread [In reply to] Can't Post

'my dearest' in your post as 'my precious'. Laugh

Pick me to join in with the obscured business opportunity. It sounds quite legitimate. You don't have to tell me what it is. Just forward me your bank account number and I will sort it from there. Wink

Chitara

Dec 12 2012, 6:05pm

Post #7 of 17 (139 views)
Shortcut
ack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

But somehow I never realised my email was visible. Gotta go check that out...

Cheers all!

*edit*
Wait... I don't have a "visible email address", the message came through the notification system. So it's more that someone's maybe picking random profiles on TOR and sending them messages.

(This post was edited by Chitara on Dec 12 2012, 6:08pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 6:11pm

Post #8 of 17 (135 views)
Shortcut
Yes, exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's more that someone's maybe picking random profiles on TOR and sending them messages.

It happens rarely, even with the PM system on the boards. Luckily, once we're notified, a *polite* PM asking them to desist usually works.

Thanks again for letting us know. Smile

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 6:11pm

Post #9 of 17 (247 views)
Shortcut
Did they have an avatar showing them dressed all in black on a black horse? Sounds familiar. [In reply to] Can't Post

"If you could help my manager find a ring, the least of rings, the monetary reward would be substantial in this obscured business opportunity. And keep it obscure; don't tell any nosy Wizards."

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:32am

Post #10 of 17 (117 views)
Shortcut
No, but apparently they had a virtual effect [In reply to] Can't Post

on my ability to spell (now that I've had a chance to read over my post!Blush).

But I refuse to give in to the Morgul Spell (check)!

Resistance is imperative.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:36am

Post #11 of 17 (163 views)
Shortcut
Just place this post in the microwave-- [In reply to] Can't Post

for 30 seconds. It will still be quite cool. (Or you can run your cursor over itAngelicCrazy)

The following is the account number: a[0e4n6r8gfdnphrt

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 5:39am

Post #12 of 17 (287 views)
Shortcut
Excellent, and now [In reply to] Can't Post

if you will only promise to take care of my trusty manservant, I shall deposit $75,000,000 into said account forthwith. Be sure to keep this information to yourself. It is vital that you follow my instructions.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 17 (239 views)
Shortcut
Ah! Oh, O.K. "vital" (Breathe. Breathe.) [In reply to] Can't Post

Lets see:
Man the deposit and send a servant to account for the $75,000,000 dollars (unless I get a Yen for them).

No! Wait. Deposit your manservant, the trusty of your account, into the forthwith.

Oops! I'm sorry. I'll forthwith trust your manservant with the $75,000,000 dollars, and hire an accountant to follow your instructions and keep track of my vital signs.

Oh gosh, I've been reading too fast.Blush

Obviously, you mean I should keep the $75,000,000 to myself, and "take care" of your trusty manservant before he can account for it. I have been to Chicago a few times; I'm sure I can find someone there who will understand it is vital to follow my instructions. (Recipe: take 1 bag of cement, mix it generously with water, service the brake lines, and be ready at the pier . . .)

Angelic

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 14 2012, 6:11am

Post #14 of 17 (159 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you have had experience with this sort of thing. Laugh

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 6:48pm

Post #15 of 17 (105 views)
Shortcut
Well, I get a lot of these in my Spam folder [In reply to] Can't Post

and I always right click to view the actual message without having to open the email, just to be sure it's not legit before I trash 'em, so I'm beginning to learn the "language."

So, please let me know if I start posting things like "The Hobbit opportunity reduced rate drugstore, please respond to frame rate " with some Yoda-like word transpositions and a little creative spelling (more than my usual, that is!!).ShockedLaughBlush

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 14 2012, 7:39pm

Post #16 of 17 (109 views)
Shortcut
Of course I will help you [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as soon as you allow me to deposit some funds into your account for you to look after on my behalf. ;-)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 11:17pm

Post #17 of 17 (357 views)
Shortcut
That's right, "no deposit, no return" just like the soda! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ho, ho, ho, to the bottles I go,
To earn some coins, and rake in dough."

You can then invest my week's worth of bottle returns, and whoever gets the most interest in 2 days gets to keep both accounts!

(I'm sure you'll be happy to fund my purchase of a Stradivari violin, like this oneAngelic. http://fritz-reuter.com/...ngs-messiahstrad.htm )

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.