Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Rate The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Rate The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!
10 - Perfection!
1 - I want my money back!
View Results (112 votes)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 2:21am

Post #1 of 41 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Rate The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey! Can't Post

Rate The Hobbit on a scale of 1 to 10 - just the movie itself. Did you love it or hate it or somewhere in between?

To comment on the format (48fps/24fps), see the poll below. Smile

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 14 2012, 2:27am)

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 6:16am

Post #2 of 41 (426 views)
Shortcut
9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just got back from it I thought it was very good with some 'artistic liberties' but hey.

(This post was edited by tolkiennerd on Dec 14 2012, 6:17am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 7:17am

Post #3 of 41 (397 views)
Shortcut
I'm yet to write a proper review [In reply to] Can't Post

But I will do today sometime.

9/10 for me. There's not enough faults to score it any lower.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 8:35am

Post #4 of 41 (431 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's 3:30 am [In reply to] Can't Post

And I just got back from The Hobbit. Needless to say, I was so very excited for this film. I got to the theater still not quite understanding that I was actually going to be seeing The Hobbit as a movie! Woah!

Then I saw the movie and wished I never had. I'm rating it a 3/10 at the moment. I'm not even sure I want to see it again. Wow. I'm just completely shocked.

imin
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 11:16am

Post #5 of 41 (427 views)
Shortcut
7/10 for me [In reply to] Can't Post

i think that could be due to my unrealistic expectations i had of the film - so no matter what really it could never live up to them.

I say that as there are no real bad parts to the film - though there are parts i would happily cut out or change but none of it is terrible its just not reached the level of lotr which is what i was hoping for - maybe for it to even surpass it, which looking back was probably too much to ask of for 6 chapters of a small book.

I really think it would have been a better film if kept as 2 films (if the first was the same length).

Its such a weird feeling being a little disappointed by something that you have waited for, for so long, i think i have a little understanding now of what SA felt like - though i still ultimately like the film.

I think i will go back and see it in 2d next time as a fair few have said they preferred it the second time when in 2d as they could just simply watch it without any of the faff.

The beginning though is excellent - for me the best parts of the movie are the beginning and riddles - andy serkis deserves some award for that performance.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 41 (397 views)
Shortcut
8 // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 5:58pm

Post #7 of 41 (343 views)
Shortcut
What didn't you like? [In reply to] Can't Post

Owing to my name, I'm curious what you didn't like. I haven't seen it yet and will probably wait a week or two for the crowds to thin a little. I dread noisy people in the theater ruining it for me. But it wouldn't ruin it for me to know what you didn't like, if you don't mind giving a little list. If I can keep my expectations at the right level, I'm more likely to enjoy it.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 6:13pm

Post #8 of 41 (376 views)
Shortcut
Awww : - ( [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry you didn't enjoy the movie. I guess I feel we're kinda linked since we both quit the Hobbit forum at the same time, so I feel sad seeing yout comments. I had some mixed feelings as well, especially given the vast number of changes made to iconic scenes from the book, but I didn't have nearly as negative an experience as you.

I can't rate the movie right now without seeing it again. So much of the movie was spent trying to process the HFR visuals that I'm going to need another viewing or two to take it al in. I especially need to take it on its own terms rather than constantly thinking about how different it is from the book (and from the appendicies...).

I can safely rate Riddles in the Dark as 10/10 and worth the price of admission alone. The rest, I'm not sure of. Having some big reservations at the changes in Dwarf history, the troll scene, Goblintown, and most of all, the wargs and eagles scene.

I can give the acting a 10/10 as well. Marin Freeman IS Bilbo Baggins. Sylvester McCoy was phenomenol as Radagast (omg I love Radagast). and Richard Armitage did Thorin very well. Lots of good subtle acting moments for all three, many of which involving no dialog, in an overall not-very-subtle movie. The owl-hooting part was great though. Did I mention Martin Freeman is suberb?

All returning actors were also insanely good. Watching the White Council in 3D HFR felt just like watching a play with Cate Blanchette, Ian McKellen, Chrisopher Lee, and Hugo Weaving. That is not a bad thing!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 6:58pm

Post #9 of 41 (347 views)
Shortcut
And after a second viewing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It remains 9/10. That last half hour is amazing.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 7:03pm

Post #10 of 41 (347 views)
Shortcut
Why I didn't like it *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't go through an exhaustive list, but I'll give you an idea of what I didn't like.

As expected, I found the Bilbo/Frodo frame to be completely pointless and a waste of time. It added nothing to the story. To make it worse, the digital touching-up to Holm's face did not sit right with me. It made him look like a CG character, not like Holm from LOTR.

Speaking of CG, the entire film had far too much CG. It was so atrocious that even things I knew were real (like the actor playing Thror!) looked faked and cartoony. I blame much of this on the 48 fps and 4K. But it wasn't all just because of the new format. There were multiple times during the goblin tunnel sequences that I just cringed at the obvious CG spectacle. But possibly the worst use of CG comes in the form of Azog. He's completely CG and you can tell. Horrendous.

Besides these things, the story itself just did not feel like The Hobbit to me. Too many additions and changes. I was expecting them, of course, from reading most spoilers the past few years, but I don't think I liked them. Actually, I'm not so sure I didn't like them as much as I think it made the rest of the story slow down. The pacing was definitely an issue for me. I've never before been so eager to get to the end of a film, but I found myself looking at the time quite a lot.

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 7:08pm

Post #11 of 41 (347 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, the troll scene [In reply to] Can't Post

That one seems iconic to me, and not something that would even need to be changed much. It seems neatly self-contained in the book and should translate to film as is.

I can imagine other scenes being more open to interpretation, like the wargs and goblins. OK, I need to adjust the ol' brain to make more allowances for Jackson's changes. I'm glad they got the riddle scene right.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 7:25pm

Post #12 of 41 (341 views)
Shortcut
I need to see it again [In reply to] Can't Post

even though I'm not sure I want to. Hopefully, it'll change my mind.

But from the first viewing, I was completely disappointed. You can read lots of my thoughts in my reply to CuriousG, but I'll leave you with a few more. Some positives first Smile

The acting. McKellan, Freeman, Blanchette, and Armitage were all phenomenal. I even thought McCoy did a lovely job, though this incarnation of Radagast is absolutely nothing like the one in my imagination.

The book references. This includes dialogue lifted straight from the book. The good morning scene was perfect. The Misty Mountains song was outstanding. There were others, of course, I just can't remember them all.

Now to the bad. Azog and the orc/warg scouts. It was so horrible. Galadriel disappearing. Rivendell being so rushed.

Pace and editing was a huge issue for me. Where were the scenes in the Shire that we've heard so much about? The market, the Took party, Baby Bilbo. I thought we were getting a lot of that stuff to set up Bilbo's pre-adventure life. And I definitely expected to get a lot of that with three films! What about the scenes in Rivendell. We know there's one with Elrond and Bilbo, as well as one with Bilbo and Narsil. I wanted more of these, not endless warg scouts and stone giants.

I'll stop there for now. I don't want you to feel like I'm ranting. That was not the point of this at all. I truly hope others are able to enjoy the film, and I hope I'm able to enjoy the next two.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 14 2012, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 41 (326 views)
Shortcut
I really liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit worried to start with-loved the history of Erebor, but got worried when the Dwarves started having a burping contest, had a feeling it was going to descend into a barrage of horrible Dwarf humour...but it didn't. It just got better and better.

Loved Radagast, as well as Balin, Bofur and Thorin, and the Escape from Goblin-Town/Riddles in the Dark scene was brilliant. The only small gripe I had was when Thorin fought and lost against Azog in the tree sequence.

So overall 9/10.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Dec 14 2012, 7:39pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 7:48pm

Post #14 of 41 (330 views)
Shortcut
Pacing - just the opposite problem for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also had a problem with the pacing, but it was the opposite. I kept thinking stuff like "We're already to the Goblin King by now? Really?"

The movie felt somewhat rushed. And the ending wasn't very satisfying. Alas. I think removing some of the warg fight scenes and putting in some more character-interaction would have been nice. I would have liked to get to know the dwarves better.

imin
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 7:56pm

Post #15 of 41 (317 views)
Shortcut
i think it was rushed and slow at the same time [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that sounds stupid but i will try to explain.

It felt rushed as they were always going from one disaster to the other without a moments rest - always chased by damn wargs and azog. This meant there was no down time or lovely character moments like there was earlier in the film.

It dragged for me because i felt the action sequences were over the top and cartoonish to a certain degree and after a while i got a little bored by them.

So i think it both dragged and felt rushed. I think this is partly down to the episodic nature of the source material and then PJ's fault of trying to make it into a bigger story than it had to be with tonnes of adventures when some more character moments would have been great.

Though this is the exact opposite view to what critics have - they feel the start was unbelievably boring and it only got good when all the action starts so it seems fans and critics are far apart on this one.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 8:03pm

Post #16 of 41 (323 views)
Shortcut
Holm's face [In reply to] Can't Post

I also found Holm's face to be very odd, but this didn't bother me much in practice because, I suppose, I'm much more of an auditory person than visual. It sounded like Bilbo and that was what was most important to me.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 8:18pm

Post #17 of 41 (319 views)
Shortcut
I think this is how I felt [In reply to] Can't Post

Too much going on and far too much Azog (who was also horribly cartoonish).

What happened to all the wonderful Shire scenes we've heard were filmed? or the other Rivendell scenes? I think the film needed these scenes.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 8:19pm

Post #18 of 41 (324 views)
Shortcut
Rushed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not at all. Even before we got to the trolls I was wondering how much longer we had. It took forever!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 8:20pm

Post #19 of 41 (323 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in 2D 24 fps [In reply to] Can't Post

But there still seemed to be that soap opera effect, especially during Holm's and Wood's scene. Their physical movements did not seem at all natural to me.

Misto
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 9:31pm

Post #20 of 41 (373 views)
Shortcut
7 Not a bad movie but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... not enough material for three hours imo.
I'm really pleased with most of the additional story and taking time to show some things that were rather rushed in the novel. Yet I found parts to be overly detailed and for me at times it felt as if some material had no business in a theatrical version. I found myself thinking "can we please go on now" quite a number of times. Also, I find the visuals to be too much in-your-face computer animation. In that respect I prefer Lord of the rings where the balance between dressed-up actors and computer animations seems better. So I guess the final verdict is "nice but lenghty at times".

(This post was edited by Misto on Dec 14 2012, 9:34pm)

Banrigh

Dec 15 2012, 9:57pm

Post #21 of 41 (341 views)
Shortcut
mostly good [In reply to] Can't Post

My score would vary depending on which part of the film I was watching! When the dwarves, Gandalf and BIlbo are all at Bag End that would get a nine no problem. It was such a great way of bringing the early part of the book to the big screen - complete with the comedy that the dwarves should bring at this stage. Then there were bits that totally took you out of the story you were supposed to be watching, such as where the orcs and wargs who were tracking them (for some reason) caught up and started a fight. It was as if someone had worried that there wasn't enough battling in the first part of The Hobbit and that the audience would get bored. I wish filmakers would just trust the material they're using.

Still a pretty good effort though - I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2012, 4:38am

Post #22 of 41 (414 views)
Shortcut
Vote Shortage [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 25 votes. Wow. That's an incredibly low number for a fan site like this with a new film just released and the Hobbit forum hopping. This specific poll maybe is on the wrong forum, considering. Maybe it should be moved to The Hobbit forum for a little while. I haven't seen the film yet. I'll vote when I do.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 16 2012, 10:32am

Post #23 of 41 (355 views)
Shortcut
You can also vote on the TORn homepage [In reply to] Can't Post

The last time I looked therehad been 200+ votes, and an average score of 4.2/5.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 17 2012, 2:36am

Post #24 of 41 (261 views)
Shortcut
Reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

It's at 660 now. I'm still rather shocked, but that's a slightly better number - slightly, considering the volume of fans. I'd expect to see thousands here, the premiere Middle Earth fan site, with the record turnout for the weekend. I'd like to know how that compares adjusted for inflation with all films ever.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 17 2012, 5:04am

Post #25 of 41 (225 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! I want to see it again. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait for the other two films. I don't think that there should be any worry about whether or not there is enough plot for three films. They've barely scratched the surface of the main plot let alone the Appendices. I could watch a whole film of just the Dwarven company alone and be satisfied. Stand-outs so far for me are Bilbo, Balin and Bofur, and Andy Serkis is BETTER than in LOTR! I have family members who were particularly enraptured with Thorin, but I'm just "meh" about him. Perhaps it's because I already know where he is headed. They thought he came across as noble, and perhaps he might have been if his engines weren't running purely on hate. It's hard to love him. It's like hugging a cactus.
The White Council scene was VERY good and both McKellan and Blanchett were in top form. Saruman was his usual condescending self, I must say, and Weaving's Elrond was almost chipper (a great contrast to his somber tone in LOTR). Perhaps it's because he's still in the throes of denial in his Homely House on the west side of the Misty Mountains. Galadriel can see a lot more from Lorien, I wager, than he.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.