Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extremley bummed out at the moment
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 9:24pm

Post #1 of 31 (1996 views)
Shortcut
Extremley bummed out at the moment Can't Post

In just a few hours, I will go to the theatre and wait in line. However, I'm not nearly as enthused as I want to be. It seems like every movie I've lined up for in the past few years has been an intense disappointment. Not because of high expectations but because they simply weren't good films.

Now I'm regretting getting excited at all. I'm regretting buying HFR tickets. I'm going into this basically thinking it's going to suck really bad.

Any words of comfort?

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

gutty

Dec 13 2012, 9:29pm

Post #2 of 31 (877 views)
Shortcut
There, there [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite enjoyable. Really.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 9:31pm

Post #3 of 31 (888 views)
Shortcut
Regardless of the HFR ... [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll love the film. But there's no point trying to change your enthusiasm before the film.

Experience the film, and then tell us what you think.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 9:31pm

Post #4 of 31 (1028 views)
Shortcut
It's not great... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I've never been as disappointed by a film as I was last night.

Hope this helps. Smile

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 9:37pm

Post #5 of 31 (789 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

i honestly don't know what some people were expecting from this movie. i've read a LOT of comments on here that make it sound like people were hoping it would be as good or better than LotR. i don't get it. why would anyone expect or even hope for that? even if you're one of those Tolkien fans that likes The Hobbit better than LotR, it's pretty easy to see how the narrative of LotR more readily makes for compelling cinema than The Hobbit does.

it sounds like you've already adjusted your expectations. just go and watch the movie with an open mind and take it for what it is.

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 9:39pm

Post #6 of 31 (896 views)
Shortcut
thanks for that... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not even just this film. Everything I've looked forward to in the past few years has either been messed up or didn't happen.

It's almost making me feel like I will never enjoy things the way I did as a kid. Idk, something about growing up (I'm 22) and realizing the world kind of sucks.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 9:46pm

Post #7 of 31 (807 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

are you me?

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it.

And if you're disappointed then, well,you're not alone. Evil

Gorbag
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 9:55pm

Post #8 of 31 (695 views)
Shortcut
The first rule.....dont listen to others views on the film before you see it. [In reply to] Can't Post

The amount of negativity floating around is bound to seep into your mind at some point. Avoiding reviews/opinions on the films is just about the only way to go into the film with a clear mind.

Even if you dont like it in the end, its nice to go back to the Middle-earth we all love and remember its the first of 3 films. Lots more to come.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Defiant
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 9:58pm

Post #9 of 31 (715 views)
Shortcut
It's a great fun film. Go see it and just it for yourself. [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the negativity floating about I am starting to wonder if i even saw teh same film as everyone else. I loved it and enjoyed the HFR. Was it perfect, no, but it was bloddy good fun and beautiful.

Corvar
PTB

Dec 13 2012, 10:01pm

Post #10 of 31 (686 views)
Shortcut
Not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no complaints about HFR 3D, I thought it was gorgeous and didn't have any of the variety of issues that concerned me before seeing it.

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 10:05pm

Post #11 of 31 (732 views)
Shortcut
At the very worst... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this is a very good film. Trust me. It has heart, and a humane touch that many high budget films lack. The characters are great, the visuals are conceived by the likes of Alan Lee and John Howe and the music's ain't half bad either.

It probably isn't the greatest film ever, but it's a damn good one (spoken by someone who watched most of the classics of cinema and a good deal of contemporary movies as well).

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 10:17pm

Post #12 of 31 (633 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, I love the Rankin bass Hobbit. I think both best signs share the same rotten tomatoes rating as of now. Hope?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2012, 10:24pm

Post #13 of 31 (652 views)
Shortcut
It's almost making me feel like I will never enjoy things the way I did as a kid [In reply to] Can't Post

i suspect it has little to do with recent cinematic disappointments byr rather that you cant quite recover that pureness and joyfullness form when you wre a child. Its sad, but i also find it to be true. When i was a boy i remember watching many many more films with a gleam and a smile on my face. I was less cynical, less demanding perhaps, more easily satisfied ...

There are no kid film critics , you know...

However, TH has the potential to transport you a bit to thos elong forgotten days of innocence...i hope you can find that.

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 10:35pm

Post #14 of 31 (627 views)
Shortcut
I recently tried to re watch where the wild things are [In reply to] Can't Post

Which was a disappointment when I first saw it. I thought I might have been to critical.

But I still thought the beginning was awesome and the rest wasn't. I thought it was fitting to attempt being less critical to a film that is about childhood in the first place. Sigh....I'm just not sure what to think.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 10:46pm

Post #15 of 31 (569 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

as you might have read around here I am not half as enthousiastic about the film as I wished I was.
But, don't be to worried...it's not that bad, you know. I just thought the first half dragged, but all in all I quite enjoyed it. Don't expect it to be on par with the Lord of the Rings and you'll be fine.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2012, 10:46pm

Post #16 of 31 (565 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

i find that spending years reading film magazines, reviews, critics, studying the art....has made much more knowledgeable but it ahs also made me mch more cynical and very aware of the flaws in a feature film...frankly, i prefer the innocence and magic of my boyhood, even if standards were lower...

Maybe you just didnt enjoy that film very much. No matter how often you repeadtly see it. Actually the films i loved as a kid were not at all about childhood. But that movie is quite magic i find.

But i understand that you are a bit disoriented...i was as well at that age. Smile It shall pass.

The Duck

Dec 13 2012, 11:01pm

Post #17 of 31 (557 views)
Shortcut
loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was awesome! The simple fact is that people have to realise that its only 1/3 of a whole story, the next movies will no doubt be better, but this is a perfect start!

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:08pm

Post #18 of 31 (538 views)
Shortcut
different for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel as I get older(40's) I look forward to and enjoy these films more. With all the complexities and responsibilities of life, marriage, and teenage kids this allows me to reconnect to my inner kid and go spend a few hours as a kid with my kids. Hopefully it will be the same when I have grand kids.

Macsen
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:10pm

Post #19 of 31 (528 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I went into the movie just as bummed out after reading all the poor reviews and was very pleasantly surprised! I loved it!

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 11:10pm

Post #20 of 31 (568 views)
Shortcut
I think 22's a bit early to be giving up.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you don't mind me saying. No need to stop enjoying things - unless you let yourself become too cynical about them. You have to be willing to let go and enjoy. In one of the premiere videos Hugo Weaving said that watching this fim made him feel like a kid again, and it had the same effect on me.

I'm a lot older than you, saw The Hobbit this morning and it had me at the edge of my seat by the end - even though I do know the story. But I was still excited, full of wonder... It made me laugh, it made me cry - and there aren't many films that do that. I think it's amazing - not for the frame rates and dimensions - I couldn't care less about them - but for the old-fashioned wizardry of artwork, acting and writing. That's what makes or breaks a film, and I'd say this film has them about right.

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 11:38pm

Post #21 of 31 (493 views)
Shortcut
thanks that cheers me up [In reply to] Can't Post

22 for me, feels like a time with a huge amount of change. It's kind of a limbo. A balancing act between feeling like a kid but being expected to act like an adult.

I saw Fotr when I was 11. God that still sounds weird...

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 12:46am

Post #22 of 31 (468 views)
Shortcut
Don't be!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Trust me on this one. You will love the film, but not the first time you see it.

I just got back from my second viewing. My first time was at the midnight premiere with HFR 3D. To say I was disappointed is a mild understatement. HFR is an amazing experience and it looks so awesome. But it is just not the middle earth, that I love.
Then my second viewing was with standard 2D 24 fps. I have had time to digest the movie and I got really excited to watch it again. This time, most of the stuff that annoyed me seemed gone or not as important, I really loved the film!

I initially rated the movie 7/10 now I'm close to go 10/10 and with EE I am sure it will be as good or better as the LotR movies.

"There is always hope!"

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 3:00am

Post #23 of 31 (369 views)
Shortcut
glad to see you liked it better [In reply to] Can't Post

the second time!

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 14 2012, 4:00am

Post #24 of 31 (377 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in HFR 3D and then in LFR 3D.

My impression of the film was dramatically higher in LFR. (I'm pretty sure that's not just because it was the second time I was seeing it; I should have a better idea about that after the next time I see it in HFR, which will be soon.)

HFR is amazing. I loved it on a shot-by-shot basis. It's just going to take some getting used to before I can appreciate whole films in the format.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 5:48am

Post #25 of 31 (303 views)
Shortcut
What is LFR? Low frame rate? 24 fps? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the format for 3D was only HFR.

What will be the ratio of viewings between 24 and 48?....with the majority of theatres still 24 fps....maybe 75% 24 fps?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 14 2012, 5:51am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.