Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
Rank the prologue

macfalk
Quartermaster

Dec 13 2012, 5:42pm

Post #1 of 22 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Rank the prologue Can't Post

Where does the AUJ prologue rank among the 4 prologues we now had the pleasure of experiencing? My list:

1. FOTR
2. The Hobbit:AUJ
3. TTT
4. ROTK

I thought it was a great prologue, and a good thing too that they did not show us Smaug in all his glory. I even loved Bilbo & Frodo, and the way "An Unexpected Journey" credits came up with older Bilbo smoking a smoke ring and cut to young Bilbo. Great stuff.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 13 2012, 5:43pm)

Arandir
Gunner

Dec 13 2012, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 22 (495 views)
Shortcut
I agree with your ranking system [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought AUJ's prologue was brilliant. FOTR will always be on top, but AUJ's surpasses TTT's and ROTK's

The Preciousss
Powder Monkey

Dec 13 2012, 5:54pm

Post #3 of 22 (472 views)
Shortcut
I agree as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I think that the FOTR prologue could be even more epic if Peter would edit in all the cut material (Gil Galad's death etc.)

painjoiker
Boatswain

Dec 13 2012, 6:06pm

Post #4 of 22 (506 views)
Shortcut
This is easy! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. AUJ
2. FotR
3. TTT
4. RotK

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

unexpectedvisitor
Rigger

Dec 13 2012, 6:26pm

Post #5 of 22 (477 views)
Shortcut
wow, really? [In reply to] Can't Post

RotK's prologue, by far, was my favorite of the original trilogy. i appreciated the narrative economy and efficiency of the FotR prologue, but initially found (and somewhat still do) the editing to be very choppy. that wipe cut with the flames...yuck. in general i thought FotR was definitely the worst-edited of the movies in terms of many of the individual choices that were made--some really choppy cuts throughout, awkward cross-dissolves, the horrendous double-exposure, white-fade segue into Frodo waking up in Rivendell--even though the overall pace and flow of the movie was great. by contrast, i think the subject matter of RotK's prologue was a very daring and bold choice to start the final movie and i thought the execution of the initial scene itself was virtually flawless. FotR's and RotK's prologues both contained information that i felt the audience needed to see for narrative or dramatic purposes, whereas the downfall of TTT's prologue was that, as awesome as it was visually, it was something that was a little superfluous to be watching at that point...however, it probably was wise to provide some kind of foreshadowing of Gandalf's return. and, that one wide shot where the Balrog and Gandalf are falling into the larger cavern at the bottom...makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Valandil ed Imladris
Able Seaman

Dec 13 2012, 6:27pm

Post #6 of 22 (480 views)
Shortcut
if they stretch out the prologue in the extended cut [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ might be on top .. otherwise, I'd definetly go with Fellowship, of course

then ROTK, then TTT (but I enjoyed all of them)

RalphDamiani
Cabin Boy

Dec 13 2012, 7:08pm

Post #7 of 22 (384 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they took more time in FotR's extended prologue. The theatrical cut was fine for the average movie goer.

For us, it would have been great to see exchanges between Isildur, Elendil, Anárion, mentions to Celebrimbor and Annatar.

And of course, Gil-Galad's death, Cirdan and Elrond taking over. They had actors for those and many scenes were shot, so it's inexcusable.

Pousette
Cabin Boy

Dec 13 2012, 8:03pm

Post #8 of 22 (364 views)
Shortcut
I'd go as far as to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. AUJ
2. FOTR
3. ROTK
4. TTT

Lacrimae Rerum
Boatswain

Dec 13 2012, 8:40pm

Post #9 of 22 (322 views)
Shortcut
Obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

TTT
AUJ
FOTR
ROTK

LR

Mahtion
Cabin Boy

Dec 13 2012, 8:50pm

Post #10 of 22 (287 views)
Shortcut
Agree 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wish they took more time in FotR's extended prologue. The theatrical cut was fine for the average movie goer.

For us, it would have been great to see exchanges between Isildur, Elendil, Anárion, mentions to Celebrimbor and Annatar.

And of course, Gil-Galad's death, Cirdan and Elrond taking over. They had actors for those and many scenes were shot, so it's inexcusable.

The FOTR prologue was my favorite part of the entire trilogy! I expected so much from the EE because of Woodhall and also the rumored 30 minute Prologue scenes being added back in. When I got the DVD I loved the culture documentary on the races and the Prologue story boards but the fact that no new scene or extension was added to te Prologue was disheartening. I wonder why PJ will never release the scenes?

unexpectedvisitor
Rigger

Dec 13 2012, 9:03pm

Post #11 of 22 (281 views)
Shortcut
FotR prologue your favorite part... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of the ENTIRE trilogy?

i can't even fathom this. i guess a Silmarillion movie would blow all the other movies out of the water for you, huh?

btw, The Silmarillion is actually my favorite Tolkien, i love the originality of the idea to write a book like that, the depth and resonance of the mythology, and i think the style of Tolkien's prose is more suited to that kind of a book than it is a conventional narrative. but i think it would make for a pretty poor movie.

dubulous
Rigger

Dec 13 2012, 9:09pm

Post #12 of 22 (284 views)
Shortcut
I would say [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FotR
2. AUJ
3. TTT
4. RotK

To me, FotR just stands far above any of the others, but AUJ's prologue was very good too and stands well above TTT and RotK.

RalphDamiani
Cabin Boy

Dec 13 2012, 9:13pm

Post #13 of 22 (256 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and i think the style of Tolkien's prose is more suited to that kind of a book than it is a conventional narrative. but i think it would make for a pretty poor movie.

The Silmarillion would make a very poor adventure movie and Hollywood would never produce those films if they weren't built around the action. The Children of Húrin, however, is far more filmable.

The other tales would probably require an unthinkable budget with the scale of everything, and modern audiences wouldn't be able to keep up with them. They lack central characters and there are too many events to cover in a gigantic timeline.

So the prologue was the closest we got without the Tolkiens giving up their filming rights. It's probably best that way.

However, what I think that could work is this: Think Walt Disney's Fantasia, but with the Silmarillion events, depicted by different artists. No dialogue, no need for chonologic order, only segments accompanied by orchestral suites. Epic, classic and tasteful.

(This post was edited by RalphDamiani on Dec 13 2012, 9:19pm)

Cave Troll
Cabin Boy

Dec 13 2012, 9:14pm

Post #14 of 22 (268 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're all fantastic though.

Huzzah for prologues!

Esmond
Swabbie

Dec 14 2012, 12:56am

Post #15 of 22 (174 views)
Shortcut
2nd [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FOTR
2. AUJ
3. ROTK
4. TTT

imin
Quartermaster

Dec 14 2012, 1:14am

Post #16 of 22 (164 views)
Shortcut
Yep i agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FOTR
2. AUJ
3. ROTK
4. TTT

The prologue for AUJ was a lot better than i thought it would be.

Mahtion
Cabin Boy

Dec 14 2012, 2:10am

Post #17 of 22 (176 views)
Shortcut
I prefer Silmarillion over Lord of the Rings :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...of the ENTIRE trilogy?

i can't even fathom this. i guess a Silmarillion movie would blow all the other movies out of the water for you, huh?

btw, The Silmarillion is actually my favorite Tolkien, i love the originality of the idea to write a book like that, the depth and resonance of the mythology, and i think the style of Tolkien's prose is more suited to that kind of a book than it is a conventional narrative. but i think it would make for a pretty poor movie.

Seriously I have read Lord of the Rings like twice always getting bored in Two Towers and especially at the Minas Tirith parts with Beregond and Bergil. I loved the parts with Gollum and the Paths of the Dead. The Silmarillion however I have read eight times and it is in my eyes much more enjoyable and entertaining.

When I first watched FOTR I literally was shooing the Hobbits out of the frame so I could see more Elves. I even recall feeling cheated by knowing that if Merry and Pippin didn't go along with the Fellowship we would have had some Elf lords go along. I realized though that Elladan and Elrohir are pretty much scouts for the Fellowship anyway insuring their path was safe.

I have definitely mellowed over my Elf obsession to the point where I find the Hobbits endearing and look forward to seeing Dwarven culture in the Hobbit. However I cannot hide my one sided bias of excitement towards Thranduil or seeing Rivendell alive with Elves unlike LOTR. I definitely felt like book Sam when he was always crying about seeing Elves.

Also ROTK is my least favorite movie because I don't like resolution in stories, I prefer the conflict which is why I like Empire Strikes Back in SW. I watched FOTR 9 times in theaters, TTT 4 times and ROTK once in theaters. I was quite distraught by the lack of Elladan and Elrohir (hoped they were in Paths of the Dead with the Dunedain. Also was hoping for Imrahil of Dol Amroth and I was especially hoping to see much more of Mithlond and Cirdan.

Avnar
Able Seaman

Dec 14 2012, 2:10am

Post #18 of 22 (177 views)
Shortcut
You know what they should have done... [In reply to] Can't Post

Warner Brothers should have done a Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises and released the prologue before another of their films... Imagine how many people would have gone to see it! Cool

Avnar
Able Seaman

Dec 14 2012, 2:15am

Post #19 of 22 (168 views)
Shortcut
I can't for the life of me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Figure out why Peter Jackson will NOT include the Sons of Elrond...??? They are awesome! He hired god knows how many extras -how hard would it have been to give them 1 scene or even name them! (The riders in Rivendell for eg)

And before anybody bothers to argue them not being needed -characters have been flat out made up and included! Mad

Mahtion
Cabin Boy

Dec 14 2012, 4:40am

Post #20 of 22 (159 views)
Shortcut
Elladan and Elrohir! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes they are amazing individuals, they accomplish so much in the small span of time before the Fellowship makes it to their destination. They even helped the proto-Rohirrim culture found Rohan. It is just astounding that Elves like these two can be older than entire civilizations. Just look at 6500 year old Elrond or 15,000 year old Galadriel.

I imagine that PJ refuses to use the Twin Sons for the same reason he refuses to use Glorfindel, a combination of pride and prudence. He could have easily had some of the riders be the Twins and they leave ME soon in his version. I was hoping from earlier reports that Elros would be some kind of anagram of the Twins but alas it seems as hopeless as before when ROTK was released.

Partly I am compelled to believe PJ has an elven vendetta, out of the most characters elves have always been excluded the most, even poor Gil-Galad Erenion is relegated to silence as a background extra, very pathetic and saddening.

Elessar
Quartermaster

Dec 14 2012, 5:15pm

Post #21 of 22 (73 views)
Shortcut
This is how I would rank them as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where does the AUJ prologue rank among the 4 prologues we now had the pleasure of experiencing? My list:

1. FOTR
2. The Hobbit:AUJ
3. TTT
4. ROTK

I thought it was a great prologue, and a good thing too that they did not show us Smaug in all his glory. I even loved Bilbo & Frodo, and the way "An Unexpected Journey" credits came up with older Bilbo smoking a smoke ring and cut to young Bilbo. Great stuff.

totoro
Able Seaman

Dec 16 2012, 6:19am

Post #22 of 22 (63 views)
Shortcut
This is the correct answer ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. FotR
2. AUJ
3. TTT
4. RotK

To me, FotR just stands far above any of the others, but AUJ's prologue was very good too and stands well above TTT and RotK.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.