Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo and Frodo

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 4:48pm

Post #1 of 9 (583 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and Frodo Can't Post

at first I thought the framing device was completely unnecessary but I think it will pay off in the movies that will follow, I like how old Bilbo was having hints of dragon sickness, hiding stuff and protecting his property. Greed and power can corrupt anyway. TABA is going to be so sad.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 4:51pm

Post #2 of 9 (307 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo shouldn't suffer with dragon-sickness [In reply to] Can't Post

Those that suffer, are already greedy people (Thorin, The Master). Bilbo isn't, and never was greedy.

As for the framing device- it was sweet. A nice bit of fun. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 9 (279 views)
Shortcut
I liked them [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if they will use them again only at the end of TABA, or if they shot more scenes (for the beginning of each film) even though there were only 2 films when they filmed them?

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 5:13pm

Post #4 of 9 (267 views)
Shortcut
I think they will change this in the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

he will be affected a tiny bit no doubt thanks to the ring.

Remember that AICN set report when they said Bilbo was very fiercely protecting his stuff after comming home and seeing they are selling it at an auction.
I like that - it might not be the same as the book but it's a nice parallel to Thorin - Bilbo is kind of very attached to his house, his dishes, pantry, nicely painted new doors, the same as Thorin is obsessing over his home his gold his arkenstone. I say there is no test if there is no temptation, so while Thorin fails this test Bilbo will not, but he will still "never be the same".

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 6:50pm

Post #5 of 9 (168 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

as is the case with the difference in Tolkien's prose between The Hobbit and LotR (The Hobbit plays much more like a narrator telling a fable-like story that somewhat blurs the lines between what was embellishment, or fantasy, and what was the "reality"; LotR is told like a detailed account of something that actually happened, and happened precisely as it is related) this framing device is a built-in way for the movie to make some sense of the tonal contrast with LotR and to lend a narrative grounds for the story to contain more over-the-top, silly, and fantastical elements--like the book did.

elanesse
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 8:48pm

Post #6 of 9 (154 views)
Shortcut
both looked terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

they tried to let them look younger, but imho they failed. ian holm looks ridiculous, like if he had a face-lifting...and elijah wood has too much make-up on his face. it looks so unnatural. they even were not able to give them the same wigs they used in FotR

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 14 2012, 9:03am

Post #7 of 9 (78 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Ian Holm made me think "Botox much?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously it wasn't that but CGI, but it didn't really work for me at all.

elanesse
Rivendell

Dec 14 2012, 10:25am

Post #8 of 9 (76 views)
Shortcut
since PJ doesn't care of continuitiy [In reply to] Can't Post

i think it would have looked so much better with just a good make-up instead of ruining all his mimics with cgi.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 11:27am

Post #9 of 9 (81 views)
Shortcut
It was the wig [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nothing like Bilbo's in FOTR. It's all floppy in AUJ. Are they suggesting Bilbo had it blow-dried before his party?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.