Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
For everyone who is going to see the Hobbit tonight

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 23 (735 views)
Shortcut
For everyone who is going to see the Hobbit tonight Can't Post

I just have one thing to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Lxa4EOiaE

Have fun tonight! Enjoy the movie!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 5:08pm

Post #2 of 23 (356 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy everyone :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

I have no idea what the critics were on about. The only I didn't like was the 48fps. Everything else was sublime.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 23 (325 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

I just can't understand those critics who say it's "boring". I just can't. Because those 2:50 flew by very swiftly, and it was a fun ride all the way.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

imin
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:13pm

Post #4 of 23 (343 views)
Shortcut
oh no you didnt like the HFR?! [In reply to] Can't Post

You spent so much time trying to get a ticket for it!

I feel for you man! At least you really liked the film (as if it was going to be any other reaction though Tongue

I am going to see it in 24fps - people i am going with didnt want to risk it and i will just go another time to see it in HFR.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 23 (313 views)
Shortcut
I think I will [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure when I see it and write my review ill have things I don't like but I'm sure it's going to he a great ride. I feel like I understand the world well enough to know what to expect going in, and so I won't be surprised by certain aspects.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 5:18pm

Post #6 of 23 (335 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I detest the HFR. But at atleast I gave it a go. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I had to try really hard for it not to ruin the experience for me. Ignoring that, the film is just fantastic.

2D all the way from now on.

Smile

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 5:22pm

Post #7 of 23 (316 views)
Shortcut
I actually liked the HFR, but the movie disappointed me a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gonna see it again in a couple of hours, this time in 2D. Hopefully I can focus more on the story and imerse myself better.
The HFR was great for some scenes, not so much for other scenes though.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

imin
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 23 (300 views)
Shortcut
Ah like i said im sorry to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

i know how keen you were to see it in HFR.

It really does seem like there is no knowing how one will react to the 48fps look until they actually see it. Some who think they will hate it, love it, and vice versa.

What about it was it that you didnt like if you dont mind me asking?

A few people who saw the hobbit earlier today (probably same screening as you just different town - the 12:10 screening?) wrote on facebook that it looks fake - the colours and the way they move - this is coming from people with the latest 3D HD smart TV's as well so Unsure

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 23 (281 views)
Shortcut
Will you watch it again in 24fps? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I will. Not because I hated 48fps, but to compare the two. Plus, I want to see the actual movie again, of course.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 5:44pm

Post #10 of 23 (260 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to see it again in three days! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking forward to this, as now I know what to expect and then get a better feel of the whole movie Smile

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 5:48pm

Post #11 of 23 (265 views)
Shortcut
It did work [In reply to] Can't Post

In the landscape shots, and in scenes where nothing happened (Bag End, the White Council, and so on). The HFR cheapened the scenes with a lot of action - such as the prologue.

It made things look horribly fake. It's a shame, but hey ho. I'm just glad I loved the film. Laugh

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:48pm

Post #12 of 23 (252 views)
Shortcut
I am also looking forward to seeing again: [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going this weekend. I am very much looking forward to it, mainly because:

1. I want to compare my previous viewing in 48fps with 24fps and how it looks. I suspect I will like the 24fps verision more, but you'll never know.

2. All the changes to the source material made me frustrated when I watched it the first time. You all know how it is, you have the "perfect" movie inside your mind. Now when thinking about it, I may not mind the changes at all (Azog in particular) when I see it again. We'll see!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 5:49pm

Post #13 of 23 (309 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I'll either see it in 24fps, or just 2D. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just so I can appreciate the film more (and not be distracted by the HFR). I missed so many things in the prologue.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 6:10pm

Post #14 of 23 (248 views)
Shortcut
The prologue is the best thing in the entire film! [In reply to] Can't Post

Together with Riddles in the Dark!

Radagast and Goblin Town and Out of the Frying-Pan was close second!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 6:46pm

Post #15 of 23 (213 views)
Shortcut
I think there are people who say that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..because they don't appreciate fantasy on principle. Me, I find James Bond really boring, but I know others love it.

Then there's the tendency to join the crowd - if someone gets the idea that it's clever to say how bad something is. Someone phoned me this evening and when I said I'd just been to see 'the Hobbit' she said - 'oh, but haven't all the critics panned that?' Well no, they haven't, in fact, as you know. Some have, some haven't - but the critical voices (for anything) always seem to shout louder.

The only test that matters is your own reaction when you see the film. I've just seen it and I loved it, and can't wait to see it again. It wasn't long enough for me.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2012, 6:57pm

Post #16 of 23 (203 views)
Shortcut
Hi Daniel. What's with us, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you read my earlier post about being disappointed with 3D 48fps and going immediately to see it again in 2D 24fps, so I'll recommend you do that asap, and you'll forget that first experience and just enjoy the film. It feels more like slipping into your favorite comfortable old shoes, the ones you've been wearing in Middle-earth for 12 years. Skip the 3D all together so you won't have the glasses frames interfering with your view.

I don't understand the darker/lighter thing, but 3D HFR seemed light enough to me. I just felt all the bells and whistles were a distraction. I'll see it again that way after a few viewings the old-fashioned way.Evil

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2012, 7:10pm

Post #17 of 23 (200 views)
Shortcut
It's not too long! The prologue is exciting! Bilbo is perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever issues each of us has with the story, filming, 24/48, 3D/2D (and we KNEW we would, didn't we?Laugh), this is a rolicking good time. So enjoy!

(but take earplugs or tissues to stuff in your ears in the last 20 minutes just in caseTongue)

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 8:54pm

Post #18 of 23 (136 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! And I hope the same for all! [In reply to] Can't Post

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 9:14pm

Post #19 of 23 (123 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

HFR 3D is supposed to appear "brighter" than regular 3D because you are receiving more visual info (less blanks between the stills that make up the moving image) and so it compensates a bit for the dimming effect of the 3D shades. along with other problems with 3D.

i have no idea how i will feel about the HFR--i suspect that i, too, will feel distracted by the clarity of certain elements or will be bothered by superficial similarities to cheap video, and would rather just watch it in 2D 24 fps, anyways. but i will try the HFR first. i already dislike 3D because of its negative effects on the viewing experience, so i think it can only help me there.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2012, 9:25pm

Post #20 of 23 (119 views)
Shortcut
Most critics say the 3D is a non-factor - agree? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2012, 9:36pm

Post #21 of 23 (112 views)
Shortcut
3D was a factor for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt much more at ease without it on my second viewing.
But, hey, that's me, 60-something and just interested in a good Tolkien yarn, with visions of PJ's LOTR firmly implanted in my brainSmile

And I LOVED Avatar in 3D. Go figure.Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 9:37pm

Post #22 of 23 (109 views)
Shortcut
I think the 3D was overdone in the battle scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

And the more action-y type scenes (lots of rocks falling towards you, jumps, etc...). However, the HFR was more distracting (for me), than any of the (overdone) 3D.

But also, for a 3D film (ignoring the HFR) it wasn't bad.

totoro
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 6:03am

Post #23 of 23 (72 views)
Shortcut
I liked the 3D in the hobbit hole [In reply to] Can't Post

Just having the dwarves seem to have depth when standing next to one another seemed pretty cool to me.

Here is a strange suggestion, I know: If you didn't like 3D HFR, go see it again in 3D HFR.

I actually liked it the first time I did that. My wife didn't want to see the 2D (which was the second time I got to see AUJ); so I watched it again. Wow! Just wow! It must have been sleeping on it to let my brain adjust. I rather liked it the first time. I LOVED it the second time. (And in retrospect, I do not believe my eyes actually adjusted fully to HFR by the end of my first viewing.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.