Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
13 hours to go... (Hobbit Forum abstainers)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 4:03pm

Post #1 of 43 (525 views)
Shortcut
13 hours to go... (Hobbit Forum abstainers) Can't Post

Just starting a little thread for my fellow American friends and Hobbit Forum abstainers... just 13 hours until the movie comes out on the East Coast, and 16 for the West Cost.

I'm really excited. Have pretty much managed to avoid most comments about the finished film and feel I'll be seeing it pretty fresh. And then it'll be on back to the Hobbit forum to see how everyone else feels about the movie!

The biggest temptation was the clip of Misty Mountains that TORN posted a few days ago, but I successfully managed to resist looking at it. Can't wait to see it tonight in 3D at 48 frames per second. Woo!

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

elevorn
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 4:07pm

Post #2 of 43 (252 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I have tried to stay off the Hobbit forum for the last couple of days with some success, only to be lured back by the hope of seeing some spoilery pics. Personally the spoilers give me key points to look for in the film and help me have a better experience. Yesterday and today I have been avoiding the forums because the complaining about certain things has begun in the reviews, and most of it is a bit too ridiculous for me to read so today I am simply dying for something to get me through until midnight tonight.

12 hours and 55 minutes to go for me.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 4:34pm

Post #3 of 43 (242 views)
Shortcut
I cut myself off from the forum last night... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was playing a dangerous game up until yesterday reading The Hobbit forum. But it's too close now, and I feel like I've been spoiled too much already. I also stopped myself from watching the Misty Mountains clip.

The wait is driving me insane though. Crazy Just 24 hours to go...

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 43 (235 views)
Shortcut
12 hours + 7 minutes now! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm absolutely ecstatic! I've completely cut myself off from the Hobbit forum for the past 10 days. It's been rough lol - there's been over 225 new topics and 4700 posts - but I'm glad to have done it.

I saw the link for the Misty Mountains song, but oddly enough, it wasn't tempting enough to watch. Or rather, maybe it was, but I also knew it would be a brilliant moment in the cinema and I didn't want to spoil that, so it was a no-brainer not to watch it.

The high point about the past week was the exclusive pictures from films 2 & 3. Those are the kinds of spoilers I like - something we already know of from the book (or an implied change/expansion) and just getting to see a picture of it. I won't say any more for those who haven't seen them, but they're good and I suggest taking a peak.

Welp, here goes! Graduation at 7 EST, then a celebratory meal, and then The Hobbit in all it's 2D 24FPS glory!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 4:59pm

Post #5 of 43 (255 views)
Shortcut
I was tempted to see the Misty Mountains clip too [In reply to] Can't Post

but somehow I resisted. We should all get an award for resisting spoilers. Laugh Hope you have fun and enjoy the movie tonight. I don't know if I'll be seeing it opening weekend, (I'd love too!) So I will be avoiding the forum for a few more days.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 43 (225 views)
Shortcut
Waiting, waiting, ever waiting [In reply to] Can't Post

So when will your waiting be at an end? Are you seeing it at midnight?

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 5:22pm

Post #7 of 43 (219 views)
Shortcut
Tomorrow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like midnight crowds. Even back ten years ago (when LotR was out), as a teenager, I found my fellow teenagers to be the most annoying audience members you could possibly imagine. Mad

So tomorrow it will be. The earliest 2D showing at my theater is at 1pm, so I'm looking at about 24 hours from now.

It's going to be impossible to sleep tonight...Tongue

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:32pm

Post #8 of 43 (234 views)
Shortcut
24 hours!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

I couldn't wait that long. I've not found midnight crowds to be obnoxious or annoying, thankfully. I've only seen two, but it seemed that those in the audience were the people who really wanted to be there for the movie.

Thankfully, I shan't sleep again until I've returned to Middle-earth!! Cool

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 6:23pm

Post #9 of 43 (213 views)
Shortcut
You just saw two photos from Films 2 and 3, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I did see the two photos from films 2 and 3. The one featured two characters together and the other featured one character in an iconic setting, right?

I was ok with seeing those. Definitely the kind of spoilers that get me excited about a movie but don't spoil it. I'll base my spoiler tolerance for TDOS on how I feel spoilers have affected my experience of AUJ.

Kinda bummed that AUJ didn't get a single GG nomination today, but the GG's are the stupidest awards ever and have no real meaning, so it's not a big deal.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 6:28pm

Post #10 of 43 (224 views)
Shortcut
Would you be calling the Golden Globes "the stupidest awards ever"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kinda bummed that AUJ didn't get a single GG nomination today, but the GG's are the stupidest awards ever and have no real meaning, so it's not a big deal.

...if The Hobbit had received a bunch of nominations?

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 6:31pm

Post #11 of 43 (220 views)
Shortcut
What are the golden globes, exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are they the same as the oscars? I always get all these different awards confused. Crazy

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 6:33pm

Post #12 of 43 (211 views)
Shortcut
I would. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

This is the awards body that nominated The Tourist for Best Picture Comedy a couple years ago. Crazy

They suck. They're good for building awards buzz for the prospective winners, but that's about it.

- T.E. Lawrence

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 6:34pm

Post #13 of 43 (202 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, those two pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't count them as spoilers, because I basically was expecting those from just having read the book (and from certain people being cast).

And I'm basically fine with any spoilers that I already know from the book. I don't want to know the White Council stuff (in detail) ahead of time, so I'll avoid that stuff for DOS like I did for AUJ (which wasn't hard at all since we never figured out exactly what would happen). I'm looking forward to seeing how that all plays out tonight!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 6:36pm

Post #14 of 43 (209 views)
Shortcut
They're held by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically, it's a rather small group of foreign critics (about 90 of them). But they've been around a long time, so they get the attention.

The Academy Awards is voted on by the actual Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (over 6,000 members), who actually work in the industry.

- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 13 2012, 6:42pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 6:39pm

Post #15 of 43 (207 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't even seen AUJ, so I have no idea if it's awards-worthy!

The Golden Globes are stupid because they are selected by a completely random secret society that doesn't represent anything, the "Hollywood Foreign Press". They exist only to get attention.

The Oscars, by contrast, are made up largely of movie-industry people. Actors, Directors, Producers, Writers, Film Editors, Composers, etc. It is an industry recognizing special achievement in their field. Perfectly valid. I may not agree with their selections, but at least they are relatively legitimate rather than just a random group of people looking for attention.

And, mind you, I don't even usually watch the Oscars or Golden Globes. But it seems pretty obvious that the GG's are silly and the Oscars have at least some reason to exist and be paid attention to.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 6:41pm

Post #16 of 43 (199 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea why anyone pays any attention to the Globes.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 6:42pm

Post #17 of 43 (210 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes Academy Awards [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the one. Too many awards and whatnot. Good thing I don't actually care about what awards films win, as long as I like the film.

One exception to this is the prestige of ROTK. I just love that it won 11 oscars. Cool

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 6:56pm

Post #18 of 43 (210 views)
Shortcut
"The Sweep" was amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I visited an Oscar-prediction forum ("OscarWatch" back then, now known as "AwardsDaily") back in those days and had predicted RotK would win 9 out of 11. I was thrilled watching it sweep and match the all-time record for Oscars!

I'd love for The Hobbit to get an acting award, but that's just not going to happen. Andy Serkis was robbed for TTT. Wish they would have at least given him a nomination for his ground-breaking performance, but the actors were too scared of digital technology.

Haven't really followed the Oscars much since, to be honest.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 7:05pm

Post #19 of 43 (194 views)
Shortcut
You haven't missed much. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's funny - after the big sweep of RotK, I got the impression that the Academy got shell shocked or something. They just kept going smaller and smaller with the movies they nominated in the years since. The only big one they've really gone for has been Avatar, which from a box office stance was too big too ignore.

I'd been expecting The Hobbit to be largely ignored this awards season, even before the lukewarm critical reaction. I honestly think they felt they just couldn't ignore it last time. Now, they can get away with "been there, done that".

On a side note, I've been paying attention to the twitter reactions from overseas, as well as scores on IMDB from the last 48 hours - and I've been pleasantly surprised at the glowing reception the film seems to be getting. Given the reaction from the critics, I've been getting a little nervous - but it seems like fans and normal moviegoers are wildly enthusiastic toward the film. Hopefully the reaction is the same here in the states, and PJ can laugh all the way to the bank. Smile

- T.E. Lawrence

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 7:13pm

Post #20 of 43 (213 views)
Shortcut
I was too young [In reply to] Can't Post

at the time to care about awards. I was too oblivious. I think the first I heard about it was when I watched the EE documentaries, so that's (at earliest) December 2004. But yes, being tied for first is amazing!

I'd also like to see The Hobbit get an acting award. I think Armitage, McKellan, and Freeman could all win one if any of them even get considered.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 7:28pm

Post #21 of 43 (206 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit was released too late to be considered for this year's Globes, [In reply to] Can't Post

according to radio news this morning.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 7:41pm

Post #22 of 43 (202 views)
Shortcut
And I have. [In reply to] Can't Post

On many occasions (dating back to the ludicrous [and arguably purchase] win for Scent of a Woman in 1992, which was the first time I was aware of the Globes) even when people pointed to the Golden Globes as evidence of the greatness of The Return of the King.

Not that the Academy Awards are so much better. One can't cite the Oscars won by RotK as proof of that film's quality without conceding that the mediocre A Beautiful Mind must be a better film than (slightly less mediocre) The Fellowship of the Ring.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 7:45pm

Post #23 of 43 (221 views)
Shortcut
"Django Unchained" has a release date of Dec. 25 and is nominated. [In reply to] Can't Post

According to wikipedia, anyway.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 8:16pm

Post #24 of 43 (213 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it wasn't the public release date [In reply to] Can't Post

but the date that Globe members had it sent to them?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 11:32pm

Post #25 of 43 (180 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains almost got me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been vigilant in trying to avoid any spoilers this close to the real thing. I got very excited about the Misty Mountains clip, and pressed play. And then realized what I was doing before anything happened and stopped it.

Fewer than 6 hours to go Eastern Time. Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks once we've all had a chance to see it!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.