Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did your audience applaud the movie?

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 2:53pm

Post #1 of 21 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Did your audience applaud the movie? Can't Post

In my show yesterday, there were several people clapping when the end credits appeared. I did too. A little silly perhaps, but I was stunned by the sheer cinematic spectacle Ive witnessed.

Did you (or the audience) applaud The Hobbit?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:54pm

Post #2 of 21 (528 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was at the midnight premiere and maybe it's because most of the people watching it were die-hard fans from the get-go, I don't know - but basically everyone clapped Smaug opened his eye and the credits rolled.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 2:55pm

Post #3 of 21 (512 views)
Shortcut
Yes, for the WB logo beginning too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I welled up the moment the movie started, as I had expected I would. Just a very emotional moment for the whole room. But I had it all under control after 3 minutes or so. Blush

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 2:56pm

Post #4 of 21 (507 views)
Shortcut
Felt the same as you, but fell in as well;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no problems clapping at premieres were cast or crew is present, yesterday it was more a venting of emotions than simple applauding.
I hate it when people applaud when a plane has landed, why should you applaud someone for doing their job?

morgenstern
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 2:58pm

Post #5 of 21 (512 views)
Shortcut
True story [In reply to] Can't Post

I applaud every time I finish reading it.

chris10112
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 3:06pm

Post #6 of 21 (471 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's probably because the cast and crew were actually there.

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 3:15pm

Post #7 of 21 (492 views)
Shortcut
They didn't becuase most were surprised this is it' when the movie ended [In reply to] Can't Post

there was also a mother with a small baby that kept crying for 3/4 of the movie before she decided to leave the cinema ..... I have no words Unimpressed

Tigero
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 3:50pm

Post #8 of 21 (406 views)
Shortcut
Yah, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Harder on the beginning than ending... Also heard many not too happy comments immediately the movie ended.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:55pm

Post #9 of 21 (399 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they did [In reply to] Can't Post

And laughed at the funny bits, and were totally enthralled by the end.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 4:00pm

Post #10 of 21 (412 views)
Shortcut
Nope ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was desperate too ... my partner gave told me not to! Shocked

But there were only 20 people in my screening ... not many at all!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 4:39pm

Post #11 of 21 (342 views)
Shortcut
ha [In reply to] Can't Post

the guy next to me looked at his mate and just said 'well that was amazing'

i cant believe how good it is, after all those lacklustre reviews! work of art!!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Thoromir
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 5:07pm

Post #12 of 21 (336 views)
Shortcut
No they didn't, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The film was finished, the lights went on and everybody left. Me and my friend stayed a bit longer and a few minutes later there were only 15 or so people left (scattered around the theater hall).
All of a sudden I heard a clap. I turned around and two guys were slowly standing up from their seats and they slowly started clapping. A few moments later all the people that were left were applauding and 'Woooooooh!'-ing.

Nice moment^^

(This post was edited by Thoromir on Dec 13 2012, 5:08pm)

imin
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 5:16pm

Post #13 of 21 (299 views)
Shortcut
They clapped?! Arent you from the UK? lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been to hundreds of movies at the cinema and never have i seen/heard even one person clap and that is going to cinemas all over the country, i just didnt think it was done over here in UK, genuinely surprised.

Durhil
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 5:19pm

Post #14 of 21 (294 views)
Shortcut
yeah they did [In reply to] Can't Post

as soon as the ending credits started you could hear the clapping and I clapped too Wink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 5:24pm

Post #15 of 21 (291 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was during the credit-song, so I wished they had waited until "Dreaming of Bag End" began instead Tongue

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 6:25pm

Post #16 of 21 (238 views)
Shortcut
Yes I am [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I've never seen it happen before either and didn't expect it, but people did seem really involved. Some even sat through the end credits - how often do you see that these days?!

imin
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 6:32pm

Post #17 of 21 (234 views)
Shortcut
Well i amazed! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you say i almost never see people sitting til the end of the credits partially because i leave before the end of the credits myself, lol and i think most people do the same now.

I wonder if they will be cheering or clapping when it finishes when i see it in a couple of hours? Its opening night but not in the hardcore IMAX, HFR, 3D screen which sold out instantly so im going to guess no, lol.

Olessan
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 10:19pm

Post #18 of 21 (148 views)
Shortcut
A lot? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Some even sat through the end credits - how often do you see that these days?!

I sit through to the very end of the credits every time, regardless of the movie. Shocked
Because that means I stick around until, well, the end, I see that with each movie there's at least a dozen other people per screening that do it, too. Most are finishing their snacks, or wrangling family members (hah!), putting their shoes back on, or simply waiting until the end because of the music/reading the credits/waiting to see if there's one of those little easter egg clips at the end.
A lot more people stay when the credits are nicely designed. Laugh

Misto
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 10:01pm

Post #19 of 21 (84 views)
Shortcut
Applause at a cinema? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have yet to see that!

Also, I saw the Hobbit with exactly seven other people in the theatre. I'm not kidding, it was a pretty room but hardly anybody present. Probably the good thing about smalltown cinemas and movies in 2D everybody else watched in 3D... and of going to see the film at an hour when no normal person would want toTongue

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 10:13pm

Post #20 of 21 (84 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some, but not all, of the audience clapped at the end. I got the impression that some people were disappointed and some people really loved it. I was still trying to figure out how I felt, to be honest.

People also clapped at a few points during the movie. Once or twice near the start "In the hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit" got applause or cheering, as did the titles "The Hobbit" and "An Unexpected Journey". Elijah Wood's first appearance got some squeeing and maybe some applause (I forget).

There was applause in later parts of the movie, but I forget when. Gandalf breaking the stone, perhaps? Thorin's hug of Bilbo? Elrond riding back to Rivendell? I honestly can't remember, but there was at least a row that was very enthruiastic! Wink

I actually like people reacting like this as long as they don't react inappropriately, i.e. laughing at serious moments. This happened back in TTT with Gollum/Smeagol. *sigh*

And I'll take applause and cheering any day of the week over people talking to each other during the movie or texting or the like.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

totoro
Lorien

Dec 16 2012, 4:59am

Post #21 of 21 (98 views)
Shortcut
Light clapping both times [In reply to] Can't Post

At the midnight screening and today.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.