Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, do you think the first part of the movie drags?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 1:24pm

Post #1 of 46 (1115 views)
Shortcut
So, do you think the first part of the movie drags? Can't Post

I know I do.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 1:31pm

Post #2 of 46 (693 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps it has one scene too many... [In reply to] Can't Post

but, no, I don't.

Riddles aside, it was far and away my favourite part of the film.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 1:37pm

Post #3 of 46 (656 views)
Shortcut
No, not exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

It felt a bit clunky (is that the word I'm looking for?) because we have been presented with so many scenes from Bag End already, that it felt weird seeing familiar scenes with new ones, all interwoven and sometimes wondering if the order and placing of familiar quotes actually made sense. I imagine it'll actually feel more fluent on the next watches.

musterd
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 1:50pm

Post #4 of 46 (611 views)
Shortcut
I am [In reply to] Can't Post

the complete opposite. Loved the first part of the movie because the character moments are my favourite parts of the film. The action sequences were actually of less interest to me.

Riddles in the Dark was an amazing combination of both.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 1:52pm

Post #5 of 46 (657 views)
Shortcut
It is by far the best [In reply to] Can't Post

For the first hour or so I felt so immersed in the story. I was back in middle earth. Then it kinda went downhill after the troll scene. From there on it felt more like a drag. It switched around once more with riddles in the dark.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 2:14pm

Post #6 of 46 (570 views)
Shortcut
Funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was exactly the opposite for me. The prologue was brilliant btw. But the scenes at Bag End are just way to long for me.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:23pm

Post #7 of 46 (550 views)
Shortcut
Completely the opposite [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved everything about the Bag End scenes and the first hour of it. After the troll scenes I felt it went downhill until they left Rivendell, then it picked up the pace again.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 2:32pm

Post #8 of 46 (552 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The film as a whole should have been 30 minutes shorter and that has for a large part to do with first hour. I loved the prologue but I think Frodo and Bilbo should have been cut. Then there's this terribly long 'merry gathering' - the worst part of it being so slow is that it makes the songs very awkward. By themselves, the songs are good, but in the context of the film they become an annoyance. Like 'gosh, there was this whole bunch of slapstick and now, instead of getting on with it, they're singing?!'

I also felt the Stone Giants sequence could have been cut. Apart from defying the laws of nature where gravity and body health are concerned, it served absolutely no purpose and felt like Episodic over-the-top action sequence number so-and-so.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 2:37pm

Post #9 of 46 (517 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

the stone giants disappointed me too. It should have been handled much more subtle, just as in the book, where you are not sure whether or not it really are stone giants tossing rocks or that it's 'just' mountains suffering the weather, if you get what I mean.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:43pm

Post #10 of 46 (519 views)
Shortcut
I don't get it. [In reply to] Can't Post

They sing this song in the book. The dwarves spend one night in Bag End. There is comic relief throughout "An unexpected party". Why rush it? I don't get it. The wonderful "Misty Mountains song" was the perfect ending to that long segment when cut to Bilbo waking up, all alone.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 2:50pm

Post #11 of 46 (497 views)
Shortcut
It just takes to long... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's like an hour and a half before Bilbo encouters his first danger, the trolls. While in LOTR, which is not at all ''rushed'' the Nazgul are on Frodo's tail after 20 minutes or so.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 2:52pm

Post #12 of 46 (502 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't that just a great scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo going to sleep to the tune of that song, then waking up, wandering his empty halls, and you can plainly see his relief turn into puzzlement and then grief over a missed chance of a lifetime. I absolutely loved it.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:55pm

Post #13 of 46 (456 views)
Shortcut
Great scene // [In reply to] Can't Post

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 2:57pm

Post #14 of 46 (469 views)
Shortcut
Not really true [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw the theatrical release during a marathon screening. And it's more like 45-60 minutes into the movie before they get out of the shire.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 2:59pm

Post #15 of 46 (465 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the danger begins much earlier. With the ring being present and awoken and Nazgul coming for 'Shire, Baggins'.

Asy
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 3:11pm

Post #16 of 46 (458 views)
Shortcut
Goodness no! [In reply to] Can't Post

None of the film dragged! I really enjoyed the first part and actually wished there were more scenes! I hope the EE has more scenes of the unexpected party Smile

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 3:12pm

Post #17 of 46 (439 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

such a diversity of opinions. and the stone giants scene that some are complaining about? multiple critics (seriously, like ten or so that i've read) talked about that scene as a highlight and fantastic filmmaking. oh man...

morgenstern
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 3:12pm

Post #18 of 46 (450 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure why anyone would think it drags [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do wonder if the EE will include a sufficient number of additional scenes to retroactively push the arrival at Rivendell into the second film.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 3:16pm

Post #19 of 46 (443 views)
Shortcut
Short answer: no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Long answer: Hell no.

Really, it did not feel long. It felt exactly as long as it needed to be.

* crunch *

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 3:24pm

Post #20 of 46 (446 views)
Shortcut
Because it's not a book, it's a film. [In reply to] Can't Post

One element of film's specificity is that it is a medium that plays in time. The way the events in the film are structured and distributed in time is fundamental for how the film plays as a whole in the end.

In a way, it can be compared to telling a joke: there is no scientific rule for it, but everyone feels that if you take an hour to get to the punchline of a joke that can be told in a minute, the audience will have wandered off.

So yes, in the end it's entirely subjective, but I think most people who have seen their share of films or have studied it will agree with me.

I'm not saying it has to be rushed, it just should be more condensed than it is now.

(This post was edited by waaimasjien on Dec 13 2012, 3:25pm)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 3:43pm

Post #21 of 46 (406 views)
Shortcut
there are a lot of different rhythms and breaks that a film can employ [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not even close to a science. i studied film myself and if we agree not to define how a film should be cut based on its genre, then we can allow a movie like The Hobbit to take its time in getting going (especially when, proportionately, 45 minutes isn't nearly too long to set the stage for a 9-hour adventure). the LotR movies had plenty of passages that may have dragged on in the sense of traditional action-adventure film pacing, but those passages were true to the nature and character of the story and the world-building that was happening. it gives these films some of their character, a character lacking in your average blockbuster.

now, i am of the opinion that the LotR EEs, at times, did push things a little too far in the direction of sacrificing pacing, as momentum that was building up towards a climax often got thrown out the window by some long extra scene introduced late. with complaints for The Hobbit's pacing being mostly relegated to the introductory part of the story, though, i'm not worried. like i said, i think it only appropriate that this beginning part of this long adventure be given some time to breathe and amble.

what will be very interesting to see is how they handle the beginning of DOS. Beorn's stuff is lovely in the book but i imagine they are going to have to do a fair bit of "adapting" to make that material work as the start for movie two.

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 3:48pm

Post #22 of 46 (391 views)
Shortcut
Nothing dragged [In reply to] Can't Post

I was immersed by it all. I would only add; not subtract.

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:54pm

Post #23 of 46 (396 views)
Shortcut
No, not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Have just come back from seeing it, and loved it.

I'm delighted they took their time because it meant we did get things like the 'Good morning' conversation which people felt would be left out. There were one or two tiny bits of dialogue that seemed a bit out of place but I can't even remember what they were now. Otherwise I think the film is breathtaking and I can't wait to see it again - and from the reactions in the cinema, others thought so too.

It made me laugh, it made me cry (and there aren't many films that do that). I think it's brilliant. (There's even a moth.....)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 4:03pm

Post #24 of 46 (404 views)
Shortcut
I just came back too dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

And agree with everything. Absolutely, 100%, AMAZING.

I couldn't wish for anything better. I was surprised by how fast it went.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

namarie
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 4:12pm

Post #25 of 46 (360 views)
Shortcut
nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally saw the movie last night.
I didn't felt that the movie dragged in the first part at all.
I loved that they took their time with Bag End, I even felt that it was too short and I wanted more.

Same for Rivendell :)

There is always hope

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.