Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So what did you think about Thranduil's...SPOILERS!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 10:49am

Post #1 of 40 (2128 views)
Shortcut
So what did you think about Thranduil's...SPOILERS! Can't Post

...mount? That gigantic deer? I loved that. Gave him a much more special and otherworldly look compared to what it would have been if they sat him on 'just' a horse. Plus, it looks perfectly elvish to me.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 10:59am

Post #2 of 40 (1175 views)
Shortcut
It was cool. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 11:05am

Post #3 of 40 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Good idea, terrible execution. [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked incredibly fake. Some of the worst CGI in the movie. Have anyone yet seen a realistic CGI deer?

But I liked the design and idea.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:09am

Post #4 of 40 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

kind of agree with you on that. The deer did not look as good as the other CGI creatures, but I really liked it anyway.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 11:13am

Post #5 of 40 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Not a huge fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

felt pure GDT which is fine but this wasn't his Middle-earth. It just added to the sense of inconsistency and incoherency.

Lightice
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:27am

Post #6 of 40 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't it an elk? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...mount? That gigantic deer? I loved that. Gave him a much more special and otherworldly look compared to what it would have been if they sat him on 'just' a horse. Plus, it looks perfectly elvish to me.

Or did my eyes deceive me? But it did look pretty cool, either way. It was only short time on screen, and at least I couldn't see any bad CGI through my 3D glasses. But I have to ask why it has a bridle? Elves don't use saddles or bridles with their mounts, it's a pretty well-known Tolkien fact. PJ made a point of having Gandalf ride Shadowfax without saddle in RotK, elven style, so it's odd that he forgot this little detail.

Pimmiko
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 11:29am

Post #7 of 40 (1099 views)
Shortcut
I liked it [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's outlook was kind of ethernal and so was his deer. Reminded me of Nothern tales I have read but cannot quite remember which one.

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:38am

Post #8 of 40 (1085 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was really cool [In reply to] Can't Post

even though the CGI wasn't as top notch as some others in the film. It didn't bother me that much. I think it would have been cool if he didn't have a bridle but, again, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of that scene.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:45am

Post #9 of 40 (1062 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am geeking over Thranduil for a few days now. I agree, it feels pure Del Torro. And elvish in a way we never saw before in PJ's Middle Earth. Did the elk look fake ? Yes a little bit. Did it matter ? Not in the slightest. As I stated in another tread, it gives some more weight to the rumor about dwarves riders on wild boars at the BotFA.
Now I am dying to see Thranduil's hall...
Smile

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 11:50am

Post #10 of 40 (1105 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling that.. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ will depict Thranduil as an unorthodox elven king. Someone who is not as gentle and gracefull in spirit as some of the others we have met in the LotR movies. He is of a different elvish bloodline afterall.

Perhaps this is a way to show his characteristics before we really meet him.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 12:13pm

Post #11 of 40 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't agree. Thranduil is of a different Elvish 'tribe' that we haven't seen much of yet. So I don't see how it's inconsistent and incoherent.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 12:14pm

Post #12 of 40 (1092 views)
Shortcut
I liked and disliked it at the same time [In reply to] Can't Post

First I thought wow... what a badass elf. Now I understand why the dwarves and elves are not the best friends at all and why Thranduil imprisons Thorin and the company ... because he is jealous! He really is a mo*******! Not all elves seem to be nice and helpful as Elrond or Galadriel. Also I liked Thranduils appearance... very elf-like. Perhaps a bit too fairy-tale elf-like but it's okay. We have Lorien- and Rivendell-elves now perhaps something different and exotic? Why not?

Now about the mount of King Thranduil... on one hand a deer seems the perfect mount for the "king of the forrest" because a deer IS very often called the "king of the forrest". And it seems very elf-like to ride on something different than usual people do. But on the other hand it looked a bit too much for me. It's funny because I really liked it and disliked it at the same time.

But I fear that The Hobbit became too childish with all these animals. Radagasts "Rhosgobel Rabbits", birds and hedgehogs, orcs riding wargs (big wolves), Thranduils deer and we also know (almost for sure) that King Dain will ride a wild boar and we haven't seen Beorn and the Beornings yet... what's next? Woodmen riding bears? Hobbits riding goats? Nazgûl/orcs riding big spiders or giant bats? I know: Different cultures, different look but hopefully we'll get more classic horses and ponies in DOS and TABA especially in Lake Town.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 12:17pm

Post #13 of 40 (1050 views)
Shortcut
That depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in America what one would call an elk is a 'Cervus elaphus', while in England an elk is a 'Alces alces'. It was definetely not an Alces alces, but it did look like a giant form of Cervus elaphus. Anyway, the term 'deer' is not wrong to use for either species ;)
But it's antlers didn't look exactly like Cervus elaphus, I think. That, combined with it's large size reminded me of an Megaloceros giganteus.
I really hope to see more of this animal in the coming movie(s) and I really hope my 'Megaloceros-suspections' will be confirmed. Megaloceros are just awesome, to bad they're not around in the real world anymore.

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Dec 13 2012, 12:18pm)

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 12:24pm

Post #14 of 40 (1016 views)
Shortcut
On apples and oranges... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel the opposite of you concerning the over presence of animals. For me the abscence of wildlife in LotR was one of its weak points.
I like to see a Middle Earth full of life and wonders. An elven king riding an elk is exactly the kind of things that will be the stuff of legends in the age of men.

Thoromir
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 12:34pm

Post #15 of 40 (989 views)
Shortcut
I loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not really notice the bad CGI (strange because that's something that bothers me often in films), but the fact that it was an elk was very cool. And I don't really mind that they use bridles. Wouldn't it look silly in battle scenes for example? It might work in the books, but not in 'reality'.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 12:35pm

Post #16 of 40 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Disease, domestication and extinction [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the absence of these big wildlife animals (giant deers, boars or rabbits) in LotR is explained with the growing darkness and the disease that comes from Dol Guldur and already killed hundreds of animals in AUJ?

In the south (where LotR takes place) we've got the kingdoms of men... and we all know what mankind on earth is doing with our nature and the animals... domestication or extinction... perhaps the same happens to all the big animals in Middle-earth?

I think that these three factors result in the situation we see in LotR... but it's just a try to find the reason for that.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 12:37pm

Post #17 of 40 (1037 views)
Shortcut
The Orcs ride Wargs - [In reply to] Can't Post

- so why can't Elves ride deer and Dwarves ride boars? This is not the world of Men.

Perhaps, if one day they decide to explore the more unknown regions of Middle-Earth, we'll see races that ride around on big cats.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 12:44pm

Post #18 of 40 (958 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with you.

Erudryt
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 12:46pm

Post #19 of 40 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's look [In reply to] Can't Post

I really loved how they made Thranduil. I think it was an original idea to put him on a Deer.
I loved his soldiers behind him, a perfect design for the Elves of Mirkwood.

(This post was edited by Erudryt on Dec 13 2012, 12:46pm)

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 12:47pm

Post #20 of 40 (974 views)
Shortcut
One of the things I like most about fantasy are the creatures [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the oliphants, the watcher, the fellbeasts, the eagles and Shelob in LOTR and I am very happy that we get to see more of the fantastical creatures of Middleearth. Deer (I am preety sure it was Megaloceros-inspired) would make perfect sense as mounts for elves living in a dense forest.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 1:01pm

Post #21 of 40 (951 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

all of those animals were present in LOTR actually...;)
Aragorn carries a dead deer he (presumably) hunted in FOTR, he mentioned a wild boar in FOTR and Gollum took a dead rabbit to Sam and Frodo in TT.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 1:02pm

Post #22 of 40 (950 views)
Shortcut
Mononoke also comes to mind as Quickbeam pointed out. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 1:06pm

Post #23 of 40 (929 views)
Shortcut
Yes but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... neither was the deer (it was more a roebuck) big enough to be ridden by an elven king nor were the rabbits (more bunnies) strong enough to pull a sledge. I meant that the BIG animals disappear not all animals.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 13 2012, 1:13pm

Post #24 of 40 (923 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

then I agree with you. Although I take more comfort on the thought that in the deep, wild places these animals are still present during LOTR and are rising in numbers afterwards ;)
By the way, I'm absolutely sure that the deer was not a roe buck, fairly sure it was a white-tailed deer which is much bigger than a roe. But not big enough to be ridden by an elven king, that's true.

Phibbus
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 1:31pm

Post #25 of 40 (949 views)
Shortcut
Could it be [In reply to] Can't Post

That Jackson is setting this up as the deer that is killed by Thorin at the enchanted stream in Mirkwood?

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.