Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some more BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 11:40am

Views: 248
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! Can't Post

Here's part 2 of a set of Book Spoilers that walks with Sam as he walks in Cirith Ungol... for a moment of Tolkien-zen. Here's part 1

The Tower of Cirith Ungol: The Return of the King

... "He took off the Ring, moved it may be by some deep premonition of danger, though to himself he thought only that he wished to see more clearly. 'Better have a look at the worst... ...No good blundering about in a fog!'
... Hard and cruel and bitter was the land that met his gaze... ...but almost straight ahead, across a wide lake of darkness dotted with tiny fires, there was a great burning glow... ...Sam was looking at Orodruin, the Mountain of Fire. Ever and anon the furnaces far below its ashen cone would grow hot and with a great surging and throbbing pour fourth rivers of molten rock from chasms in its sides. Some would flow blazing towards Barad-dr down great channels; some would wind their way into the stone plain, until they cooled and lay like twisted dragon-shapes vomited from the tormented earth. In such an hour of labour Sam beheld Mount Doom, and the light of it... ...now glared against the stark rock faces, so that they seemed to be drenched with blood.
... In that dreadful light Sam stood aghast, for now, looking to his left, he could see the Tower of Cirith Ungol in all its strength...
... ...Only too clearly Sam saw how hopeless it would be for him to creep down under those many-eyed walls and pass the watchful gate... ...But desperate as that road might be, his task was now far worse: not to avoid the gate and escape, but to enter it, alone.
... His thought turned to the Ring, but there was no comfort there, only dread and danger. No sooner had he come in sight of Mount Doom... ...than he was aware of a change in his burden. As it drew near the great furnaces where, in the deeps of time, it had been shaped and forged, the Ring's power grew, and it became more fell, untameable save by some mighty will. As Sam stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself...
......He felt that he had from now on only two choices; to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows. Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong... ...striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dr... ...and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.
... In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that help most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden... ...The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due... ...his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.
... 'And anyway all these notions are only a trick... ...He'd spot me and cow me, before I could so much as shout out. He'd spot me, pretty quick, if I put the ring on now, in Mordor. Well, all I can say is: things look as hopeless as a frost in spring. Just when being invisible would be really useful, I can't use the Ring! And if ever I get any further, it's going to be nothing but a drag and a burden every step. So what's to be done?'
... He was not really in any doubt... ...With a shrug of his shoulders, as if to shake off the shadow and dismiss the phantoms, he began slowly to descend. With each step he seemed to diminish. He had not gone far before he had shrunk again to a very small and frightened hobbit."

[a bit more tomorrow]

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Subject User Time
It's time for some more BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 13 2012, 11:40am
    A very important scene Kristin Thompson Send a private message to Kristin Thompson Dec 14 2012, 1:58am
        So true! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 14 2012, 3:22pm
    It's time for some MORE BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 14 2012, 3:04pm
        It's time for some MORE BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 15 2012, 1:28pm
            Now, I wonder why dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Dec 15 2012, 5:58pm
                moi? ;) // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 16 2012, 1:23pm
            It's time for some MORE BS! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 16 2012, 1:10pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.