Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Any good music to share ?

Hamfast
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 1:16am

Post #1 of 7 (260 views)
Shortcut
Any good music to share ? Can't Post

Happy Holidays everyone ! Specifically, Happy Chanukah to any Jewish TORnfolk out there, and in that spirit, I would like to share my favorite holiday album. I am a fan of Jewish Klezmer music, and a group called the Klezmonauts have an album titled 'Oy To The World ! - A Klezmer Christmas' which I absolutely love. Be you Pagan, Christian, Jewish, Agnostic, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Rastafarian, Buddhist, or whatever.....I hope you have a second or two to check out the link and preview some of this music Smile

The Klezmonauts - Oy To The World ! - A Klezmer Christmas

Another piece of music I love to listen to during the holidays is Mozart's 'Exsultate Jubilate', and while it isn't a Christmas song per se....My mom used to play a cassette of this song over and over during Christmas Eve and Christmas, and you could literally see her face fill with joy while it was playingSmile Listening to this really puts me in the mood for Christmas

Mozart - Exsultate Jubilate

And to mix things up a bit, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas in my house without James Brown's Funky Christmas SmileLaughSmile

James Brown - Soulful Christmas
James Brown - The Christmas Song
James Brown - Merry Christmas, Baby

What have you been listening to ?

(This post was edited by Hamfast on Dec 13 2012, 1:23am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 3:26am

Post #2 of 7 (113 views)
Shortcut
How about I share the mix I've made for friends [In reply to] Can't Post

called, "Winter." These are fairly secular but are found on Christmas albums. I also have a mix called "Christmas" that is comprised of religious music.

1. The Bells of Dublin/Christmas Eve - Chieftans (from album: Bells of Dublin)

2. Praetorius Courante CLXXIX-Drive the Cold Winter Away - Robin Williamson (from album: Winter's Turning)

3. Amid the Falling Snow - Enya (from album: Sounds of the Season)

4. The Magic of the Night - Enya (from album: Sounds of the Season)

5. Of Darkness and Light - Ensemble Galilei (from album: A Winter's Night)

6. Bressay Lullabye - Don Oiche - Ensemble Galilei (from album: A Winter's Night)

7. Il Est Ne - Ca Berger - Chieftans with Kate (rest her soul) and Anna McGarrigle (from album: Bells of Dublin)

8. Monsieur Charpentier's Christmas Swing - Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band (from album: Carols and Capers)

9. Wassail! - Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band (from album: Carols and Capers) (I love Wassail songs)

10. Logs To Burn - Golden Bough (from album: Winter's Dance)

11. St. Stephen's Day Murders - Chieftans with Elvis Costello (from album: Bells of Dublin)

12. The Boar's Head - Chieftans (from album: Bells of Dublin)

13. The Wren in the Furze - Chieftans (from album: Bells of Dublin) (there are quite a few wren songs)

14. Rui Chiu - Monkees (from album: Missing Links Volume 2 - although video is of their tv show)

15. Lullabye-Mo Chaora Bhan - Golden Bough (from album: Winter's Dance)

16. Hunting the Wren - Robin Williamson (from album: Winter's Turning) (another wren song)

17. Drive the Cold Winter Away-Cold and Raw - Robin Williamson (from album: Winter's Turning)

18. Greensleeves Morris-Green Groweth the Holly-The Eagle's Whistle - Robin Williamson (from album: Winter's Turning)

19. Pastime with Good Company-Somerset Wassail - Robin Williamson (from album: Winter's Turning)

20. In Praise Of Christmas - Loreena McKennitt (from album: To Drive the Cold Winter Away)

21. Snow - Loreena McKennitt (from album: To Drive the Cold Winter Away)

22. The King - Loreena McKennitt (from album: To Drive the Cold Winter Away) - this song is also called The Wren because the "King" is the "Wren." I can't find it by Loreena. Here is it by Steeleye Span.

This song is traditionally sung on Twelth Night. The Morris dancers in town here used to have a winter ale over MLK weekend and when the dancing was over, we'd sing this song. I have a great affection for it.

Joy, health, love, and peace be all here in this place
By your leave we will sing concerning our king

Our king is well dressed in the silks of the best
In ribbons so rare, no king can compare

We have travelled many miles over hedges and stiles
In search of our king, unto you we bring

We have powder and shot to conquer the lot
We have cannon and ball to conquer them all

Old Christmas is past, Twelfth Night is the last,
And we bid you adieu, great joy to the new

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

acheron
Gondor

Dec 13 2012, 4:59am

Post #3 of 7 (65 views)
Shortcut
Mostly Christmas music [In reply to] Can't Post

Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, of course. Also a decent "Jazz Christmas" Internet radio station (which obviously includes Guaraldi but lots of others as well). Also some classical Christmas music. Most of the year I don't enjoy too much choral music, but that changes in December. Also classical instrumentals, and some modern Christmas music played by pops orchestras and such. Actually on the classical radio station today in my car I heard someone's arrangement of "Jingle Bells" as if it were written in the baroque era, which was fun.

In non-classical and non-jazz Christmas music, all I've got recently is Carbon Leaf's Christmas Child album. Here's a live performance of the title song Going to see them in a week or so, which is super exciting.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 13 2012, 5:04am

Post #4 of 7 (83 views)
Shortcut
I love Exsultate Jubilate! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to have a Deutsche Grammaphon recording with this piece on it! I don't know who the soprano was but she could really belt out those high notes. She didn't play the notes down like many sopranos today do.

Here are my holiday recommendations:

I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm--Billie Holliday

Baby, It's Cold Outside--Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan

Noel Nouvelet--The King's Singers

Let Us The Infant Greet--Loreena McKennitt

Linus & Lucy AND Peppermint Patty (Christmas is Coming)--Wynton and Ellis Marsalis (Vince Guaraldi is the original and the best, but I love the Marsalis' recordings from the Joe Cool's Blues album--it's got oomph!)

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen--Annie Lennox

Personent Hodie--The Cambridge Singers

In Like A Lion (Always Winter) AND Deck The Halls--Relient K (the only punk version of Deck the Halls I have ever heard)

Sweet Little Jesus Boy--Mahalia Jackson

Delrond
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 3:47pm

Post #5 of 7 (77 views)
Shortcut
Christmas music on the radio. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have my car radio tuned to an all Christmas music station and love it. Some of my faves...

The Christmas Song, Linus and Lucy, Holly Jolly Christmas and anything by Michael Buble'. Oh, and Blue Christmas by The King. Laugh

Aside from that, I just restringed my acoustic and electric acoustic 6-strings and have been playing heavy doses of Zep, Rush and numerous 70's/80's tunes. I needed to enlist Little D's help to rethread the electric line in port as it had come unscrewed and fell off inside the guitar. My arms are too big to fit into the sound hole - enter Little D. It wasn't easy, but we did it together and saved a trip (and a chunk of change) to the local guitar store. Smile

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 7:50am

Post #6 of 7 (44 views)
Shortcut
Love Klezmer music! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that link! Smile I always enjoy Klezmer music when I hear it, but I never remember to look for it when browsing iTunes or Amazon. And Christmas Klezmer - what fun!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2012, 8:03am

Post #7 of 7 (174 views)
Shortcut
Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas music is my favorite! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know part of the appeal is nostalgia, but it really is great music. It's festive, and yet songs like Christmas Time is Here are also rather melancholy. These songs let the listener feel what he feels without forcing joviality on him. And yet, Skating and Lucy&Linus are genuinely cheerful. That's why I can (and often do) listen Charlie Brown Chistmas year round. Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.