Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Can I just say I got the Best Anniversary Present Ever yesterday?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 10:18pm

Post #1 of 27 (528 views)
Shortcut
Can I just say I got the Best Anniversary Present Ever yesterday? Can't Post

Eight years ago yesterday (at least, yesterday here in NZ, which is today in the US, which just gets confusing) Mr. Ro and I got married. Peter Jackson, bless him, arranged the workings of the universe so that opening day of The Hobbit here was on our anniversary. What better way to celebrate? Mr. Ro and I got to spend three hours together, no kids (!!!), immersed in a long-expected visit to Middle-earth. What a treat! And how appropriate, given that we wouldn't have had an anniversary to celebrate if it weren't for the LOTR movies in the first place.

And I just have to say something else too: I take back every last bit of fun I ever poked at anyone for being a Dwarf Fancier. Pervy or otherwise. I apologize, wholeheartedly and unreservedly. You were just a little ahead of your time. "Hot Dwarf" is no longer an oxymoron. At least, depending on the Dwarf. Anyone fancying female Dwarves, however, is still fair game.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 27 (147 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy anniversary!

And yes, 'hot Dwarves' is now an entirely understandable phenomenon. Going into the movie I was a Fili-fancier, but having seen Aidan Turner in action I can see why he has an enormous fan following.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 10:32pm

Post #3 of 27 (140 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a treat to be able to spend three hours in Middle-earth on such a special day. You may remember that you were married on the Gaffer's and my 33rd wedding anniversary (you could say our marriage had 'come of age' Wink), therefore today is our anniversary, too. But no Hobbit until Friday, I'm afraid.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these new versions of dwarves, too!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 27 (118 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of your anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Twas a match made in Middle-earth - literally! And the opening date of The Hobbit proves it! Smile

It's a dangerous business, you know, opening the Tolkien door...you step into TORn, and there is no knowing where you might be swept off to! Heart

Hugs to you, and all the little Dunedains!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2012, 10:51pm

Post #5 of 27 (124 views)
Shortcut
And many happy returns to you and the Gaffer, also, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really? Same day? Then obviously there is something "magical" about this date! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2012, 10:57pm

Post #6 of 27 (141 views)
Shortcut
And right back atcha, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you two enjoy your special day. We have a lot of years to go to catch up with you! Perhaps you and the Gaffer can share a belated anniversary treat of The Hobbit on Friday?

And your nick suddenly made me smile...Eldarion's best friend is a girl in his class named Lily. He's going to miss her terribly over the upcoming summer holidays when he won't get to see her every day (we live far out of town), and he's hoping to have her over for a sleepover. (!!!) He also rides a pony named Lily, and lilies are among his favorite flowers. Clearly Lily is a lovely name! :-)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 12 2012, 11:53pm

Post #7 of 27 (142 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* Has it been that long!? [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! *whoosh!* The time just rushed right past me!

Happy, Happy Anniversary! I still remember that incredible weekend! Magical and so beautiful... just like you two, a very special couple. So many of us were lucky to share that special day. *raises glass* Here's to endless years of joy, health, and peace. :)

Memories :)

At Roheryn and NZStrider's wedding

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 12 2012, 11:57pm

Post #8 of 27 (133 views)
Shortcut
More joy and Best Wishes :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Anniversary You Two! :D Here's to the best of times! So many wonderful celebrations here because of Tolkien/Jackson/ and TORn :)

*warm hug*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 12:53am

Post #9 of 27 (136 views)
Shortcut
Wow, gramma... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for those links. :-) :-) I just had a read-through of that thread and it made me all warm and smiley. What a special day that was, with such a fabulous bunch of special people to share it with. Happy memories!

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:14am

Post #10 of 27 (129 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Good grief! [In reply to] Can't Post

Geez RO & NZ, it is actually alarming how time has eagle-winged you guys down the road to your wonderful 8th wedding anniveresary all the way past the lotr's into Bilbo and Dwarf land where dragons exist, WHERE you can partake in a glorious 2fer. GLORY BE!. So guys have a ball on your special daySmile

One other side note celebration brought to light with your benchmark event (which i remember witnessing being here on TORn) is that i have (due to inherent ambiguity trying to resolve forever) realized i have been HERE then over 8 years!. So guys thank you very much for my being able to finally realize that fact.

.....Yes:), i still remember that picture of you all.....

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 13 2012, 3:39am

Post #11 of 27 (118 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a wonderful anniversary. [In reply to] Can't Post

It lacked only greendragon singing "May it be"! That was a great day.

"123456!... password!... password1!... password2!... Gimli, do you know Durin's date of birth? Thanks. 140457!... mithril@!... mithril#!... maltbeer!... qwerty!... Legolas, do your elf eyes see any post-its lying around the base of the cliff?"

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 5:43am

Post #12 of 27 (111 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations [In reply to] Can't Post

That is most definitely worth a celebration. Cool

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 5:49am

Post #13 of 27 (131 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely way to celebrate SmileHeart

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 13 2012, 8:11am

Post #14 of 27 (87 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a great way to spend such a special day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Anniversary. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 8:11am

Post #15 of 27 (134 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it really that long? Wow! Glad you enjoyed your anniversary present and here's to many more happy anniversaries to you and NZ. Smile

Storm clouds

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 12:37pm

Post #16 of 27 (106 views)
Shortcut
Lovely for you! Belatedly, best wishes for your anniversary [In reply to] Can't Post

and may there be many, many more, all of them blessed.

A match practically made in Middle-earth, that's magical!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 13 2012, 2:10pm

Post #17 of 27 (77 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was so nice of PJ to arrange the opening day of The Hobbit just for you two. Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:05pm

Post #18 of 27 (71 views)
Shortcut
Yes, December 12 is a good day [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to check with gramma and see what happened in Middle-earth that day!

Thank you Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:09pm

Post #19 of 27 (70 views)
Shortcut
Yes, tomorrow is The Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have our tickets and I have my LotR T-shirt all washed and ready to go.

Let's not forget that Harry Potter's mother is named Lily.

Obviously Eldarion has good taste. Lily is so close to my actual name, Lillian, that I'll answer to it---and sometimes, when I introduce myself, that's what people hear. Fine by me! I like having a hobbit flower name. Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:11pm

Post #20 of 27 (87 views)
Shortcut
*warm hug back again* [In reply to] Can't Post

And champagne! Thank you. I love champagne *hic*....

Oh my yes, the good professor's benign influence just keeps going and going. Smile

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2012, 8:18pm

Post #21 of 27 (60 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a perfect way to celebrate. Best wishes to you both.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Carcharoth
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 8:08am

Post #22 of 27 (69 views)
Shortcut
OMG [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not ashamed to admit that returning here to see this thread just brought all of the memories from that wondrous weekend (and that whole year, really, taking into account TORn Moot ATL) rushing back to the surface in a flood of tears.

Big, bad Wolfy's eyes are leaking...

{{{gramma}}}

Carcharoth
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 8:19am

Post #23 of 27 (77 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having some difficulty processing that it's been EIGHT YEARS.
It seems like it was just yesterday...

I'm so happy for you two, and I wish you all the best for many more happy years together. :)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2012, 6:30pm

Post #24 of 27 (168 views)
Shortcut
Wolfie! Nice to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you can stick around. Smile

Carcharoth
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 7:54pm

Post #25 of 27 (81 views)
Shortcut
Hi entmaiden! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to try to be a more regular presence.
I really miss you folks when I'm away!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.