Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
IMAX vs HFR *WARNING SPOILERS*

axelnatorz
The Shire

Dec 12 2012, 7:00am

Views: 889
Shortcut
IMAX vs HFR *WARNING SPOILERS* Can't Post

12th December 2012
Review by Axl Scott

IMAX
On Wednesday morning at 12.01am I went to the first screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey… This version was on the iMax at Event Cinemas, Auckland, New Zealand.
We were handed special 3D glasses and a free pair of Hobbit themed 3D collectible glasses.
When the film started it was truly amazing… The size of the screen and sound is truly tremendous.
Seeing the goblin battle, riddles in the dark and the first encounter with the dwarves on a larger scale display was astounding and remarkable.
Was truly a great experience as a first screening of the film. Only problem was to keep myself awake, I was totally tired… So I was a little distracted with taking to myself “Wake Up Axl, This Is The Movie You Have Been Waiting For, For A Very Long Time”
4 STARS

HFR
I went and saw it again on the 12th, I went to the 2.30pm screening at Hoyts Sylvia Park, Auckland, New Zealand.
I went to the VIP screening which we call the LA Premiere. The LA Premiere is simply a fancy way of seeing the movies. Lazy boys with tables next to you, cinema staff bringing in your brought candy bar items and receiving a complimentary popcorn and drink.
When the film started I didn’t think too much of the HFR until about 5 minutes into it when Bilbo was having a pipe outside Bagend.
It was as if the characters were coming out of the screen but the background was simply staying put.
There were times where it felt a little cartoony, for example: the background was blurry and the camera moved around the character. It didn’t look real or unreal, it just looked different.
And then there were times that it felt like you were a fly on the wall, for example: the goblin battle and riddles in the dark was coming straight for you.
HFR is highly recommended to all!
5 STARS

OVERALL
So overall, putting the different methods aside… I would give The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey an 8/10… It was truly a masterpiece, but in saying that, it was very much like Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, where the movie was based on introductions.
Ok, so The Hobbit did have some battles like with The Wargs, Trolls and Goblins but was based as a welcome package.
I must say, my favorite part of the movie was the introductions to the dwarves and their astonishing costumes, behavior and characteristics, coming as a close second would be Riddles In The Dark…
Riddles In The Dark was very moving. With Gollum feeling in despair at the loss of his precious, and with Bilbo choosing not to kill him.
Also, I was a little disappointed with the film due to the storyline in the book. For example: the dwarves come to Hobbiton the next day, not that night… I don’t recall Radagast in The Hobbit, but was definitely a good part of the film storyline, and the same with the meeting at Rivendell with Galadriel, Elrond, Saruman and Gandalf… Don’t recall it in the book but was a great scene! Oh, and I would’ve loved to have seen the dwarves play their instruments and also the coloured smoke rings.
So, with all this in mind… An Unexpected Journey is highly recommended to all… But those that aren’t fans may find this film a little slow and boring, but just like The Lord Of The Rings, it will pick up with the last two films.

(This post was edited by axelnatorz on Dec 12 2012, 7:06am)

Subject User Time
IMAX vs HFR *WARNING SPOILERS* axelnatorz Send a private message to axelnatorz Dec 12 2012, 7:00am
    Nice Review(s) .... BlackCountry Send a private message to BlackCountry Dec 14 2012, 1:53pm
        I agree. Not even close. totoro Send a private message to totoro Dec 15 2012, 6:18pm
    I've seen both formats now too ArtCorner Send a private message to ArtCorner Dec 15 2012, 7:56pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.