Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How do you feel about your name?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How do you feel about your name?
Love/proud of my name
Like my name
Meh...it's okay
Don't like (or hate) my name, but what can you do?
Used to dislike my name, but accept it now
Like/love my name but go by a nickname (or middle name)
Go by a middle or nickname because I don't like my first name
My name suits me
My name doesn't suit me
I get (used to get) teased about my name and it bugs me
I get (used to get) teased about my name, but it doesn't bother me
I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner :P
What's in a name?
Other
View Results (120 votes)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 2 2012, 5:52am

Post #26 of 55 (262 views)
Shortcut
I was going to list that as an option [In reply to] Can't Post

But I didn't know how common it was considering all the red tape. That's really interesting. Smile

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2012, 10:01am

Post #27 of 55 (248 views)
Shortcut
I thought so, too, but . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

then was uncertain, so I went with the conventional spelling.

Misto
Lorien

Dec 2 2012, 12:29pm

Post #28 of 55 (330 views)
Shortcut
It's fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like my name. Short enough, easy to pronounce in most languages (save for my hometown's accent *sigh*), no social stigma attached. No complains at all.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 5:23am

Post #29 of 55 (264 views)
Shortcut
The only bad thing about my name [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it's pretty common for women of my age. There are thousands and thousands of women with the same name (first and last) as mine. When I was a kid there were always two or three other kids in my class with the same first name as me, but I kind of liked that.

One thing I love about my name is that there's a Simon and Garfunkle song that has my name for a title :-)

I had to click "Don't call me late for dinner" because that's one of my dad's favorite quotes. He's used that as far back as I can remember, which is about fifty years. <3

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 3 2012, 5:25am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 3 2012, 2:56pm

Post #30 of 55 (220 views)
Shortcut
common names for different generations [In reply to] Can't Post

for me growing up, the girl's name that seemed to outpace all others was Debbie/Debby. None of them were called Deborah, although that might have been their proper given name.

And when I first started folkdancing, amongst the overlapped folk dance groups I knew a Lara, Laura, Lori, Laurie, and Laurel!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 4:07pm

Post #31 of 55 (192 views)
Shortcut
That's one of the things I pay attention to when I write novels. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote one a while back that spanned the years from 1969 to the present, and I was careful to pick names for the different generations that reflected those generations. My name is Karen, which was very common, but I also knew a lot of Debbies and Cheryls. In my daughter's generation, Jessica was ubiquitous. Now as a teacher I'm noticing a resurgence of older names like Lydia and Nathan and Dorothy, names I associate with my grandparents' generation.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 3 2012, 4:08pm

Post #32 of 55 (205 views)
Shortcut
When I was a kid, I hated my name. [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is unusual. I have never met another one out there, but I've had other people tell me they know another one.

In school, I was the only one. The thing I didn't like most was never being able to find my name on a necklace, or key chain, bike license plate, or cup or anything else. That must have been a trend in the 80s, when I was in those peer pressure years, and everyone had their names on stuff except me. Wah. I"m sure it scarred me for life.

However, I've always been called by a nickname, except in school. I was always called Cookie by my family and close family friends. Even today, my nieces and nephews call me Aunt Cookie. At the vet hospital where I used to work, my coworkers called me Filly.

I had nicknames in college, but they are too embarrassing to mention here. The less said, the better! BlushLaugh

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 5:27pm

Post #33 of 55 (205 views)
Shortcut
Kathy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely adore Kathy's Song by Simon & Garfunkle.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 6:12pm

Post #34 of 55 (173 views)
Shortcut
Nope :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mrs. Robinson" Only I am *nothing* like the character in that song. It is a great song, though. When I first used to hear it as a teen, I had no idea that would be my name someday. :-D

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 6:15pm

Post #35 of 55 (206 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, my daughter has that problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a teen she went by her middle name, though, which is very common, so we'd get her mugs and stuff with that name on it. We still do, even though she goes by her first name now (or more often, her first initial.) Since we made up her name, she doesn't use it much on the internet; if you google just her first name, you find her.

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 8:24pm

Post #36 of 55 (177 views)
Shortcut
I never wanted stuff with my first name on it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a few things with my name on them back in the 80s too and I hated them. Of course, even as a kid, I tried to change my name once or twice, but it never stuck. Of course, looking back onit, I don't like the names I tried to change to!

I wonder if this is an "always greener" situation. People with common names wish they had rarer names. People with rarer names wish they had common names. Well, some of us. Many seem to be happy as they are!

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 7:00am

Post #37 of 55 (191 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh, that song :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of first names so thought of Cecilia, but I didn't think that was a very common name. Smile

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 2:59pm

Post #38 of 55 (178 views)
Shortcut
My first name is very common [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly among people my age (at secondary school, in my year of 150 people, there were 7 others who had the same first name as me!). That can be annoying but I don't mind too much.

However, my surname happens to be a LOTR-related name... Smile Smile Smile

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 4:13pm

Post #39 of 55 (166 views)
Shortcut
I've thought about changing [In reply to] Can't Post

back to my maiden name after my husband's death mainly because I'm tired of being associated with his family. I didn't do it because it's also the name of our daughter & granddaughter & I think having the same last name is way less complicated than different ones. I changed the spelling of my first name when I was about 15 from conventional to non. It was my older sister's idea & I thought it was cool at the time. As I matured I changed my mind about it but never changed it back because I always get compliments on it & it was just too much hassle. Now I'm thinking about changing it back so I could be more anonymous, especially on the Internet.

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 5:16pm

Post #40 of 55 (156 views)
Shortcut
My name starts with a [In reply to] Can't Post

D & is fairly common but not as common as Debbie or Donna is for my generation. Kathy, Susie, Linda & Laura/Laurie/Lori were all common, too. I've never had anyone in my class or worked with anyone with the same name so I like that.

Misto
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 10:27am

Post #41 of 55 (235 views)
Shortcut
Names/initials on things [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was thinking of first names so thought of Cecilia, but I didn't think that was a very common name. Smile

Me too and now I have that tune in my headLaugh

Names on things... my mother loved that too and I never got the point of it. Even worse: initials. You don't usually use your middle name at all over her, even less in initials. So one day my mother decided I needed towels with my initials (who would want that anyway?) and I had to go for "XYZ" instead of "XZ" because my firstname/lastname initials are just not acceptable in Germany. My mother said she never realised that until it was too late but you just can't walk around with initials that have a nazi connotation on your stuff.Pirate

Names certainly have their times when they are used more or less. When I was a child my name was a little outdated but lately there are quite a number of young girls with my name to be found.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 7:54am

Post #42 of 55 (233 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I like my surname a lot more than my first name. I don't like it very much, but have learned throughout the years to co-ope with it.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 8 2012, 5:54am

Post #43 of 55 (126 views)
Shortcut
that's so true [In reply to] Can't Post

Seemed like half the girls in high school with me were named Debby, Cindy, Margaret, Barb, or Joan, while the boys were Steve, Tom, Bill, and Jeff. When I was in my mid-20s and working at a peds clinic, all the kids that came in had J or K names. Later it was the time of the Heathers and Brittanys and the Aidans and Evans. Now everything old is new again; my great-nephews have family names that haven't been used for four generations (Samuel and Henry).

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 8 2012, 5:55am)

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 7:59am

Post #44 of 55 (119 views)
Shortcut
My name? My Name.. [In reply to] Can't Post

My name (Roisin) is really uncommon where I live. My mother gave me an Irish name, which I like, but the spelling is pretty crazy. I got really sick of people mispronouncing it, so when I left home I started using a nickname, 'Rosie', instead. After a couple of years though, I started calling myself Roisin again, and just worked out a couple of cute ways to remember how to say it, and I'm much happier now.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 6:47am

Post #45 of 55 (148 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

What is the correct pronunciation of your lovely name? I don't know. Blush

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 8:40am

Post #46 of 55 (252 views)
Shortcut
It is [In reply to] Can't Post

Ro-sheen - the 'ro' in 'robot' and the 'sheen' in 'machine'. Robot machine!

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 2:59am

Post #47 of 55 (85 views)
Shortcut
That's like my initials! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, kind of. My initials are "EMM," which is pronounced like "M" (which is actually why people started calling me "Em" in middle/high school/college, not just because the first two letters of my first name are "Em").

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 6:32am

Post #48 of 55 (476 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

It made me think of a glimmering rose before I thought of a robot!

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Dec 16 2012, 3:01am

Post #49 of 55 (74 views)
Shortcut
My feelings about my name have changed...a lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Audra pronounced "Aw Dra" and it's a very southern name although I don't see very many Audra's her in Tennessee than I did growing up in Michigan. I was named Audra Ann after my Granny Audrey and my Grandma Ann. As a child, my grandma got jealous that her name wasn't first, so she would call me Ann and that bugged me (but I loved her). It could have been worse, my mom considered naming me Ann Audra and I told her thank you for not doing that, because it sounded like Ann Arbor.

It was hard growing up because teachers couldn't pronounce my name and the substitutes would aways pause when they came to my name and I thought...here it comes... and they would say Asha or Audrey or Aurora and all the bullies would laugh. The mean girls bullied me because my name sounded kind of boyish and tough and they were all named stuff like Melody and Dawn and Heather (it was the 70's). When my teacher told us what our names meant and that Audra meant noble and stong, I could have died from all the laughter. Their names all meant princess and grace and sweet and other girly things.

Some called me She-Ra, my brother called me Ozzy. I called myself Rainbow or Sunshine (my mom's name for me sometimes) or, after discovering Tolkien, Elfstar. What can I say? It was the early 80's, time of Care Bears and rainbows and unicorns. I never could find my name on anything either, so I bought Ann items or had things like a t-shirt or license plate made (using iron ons and stickers).

When I read Anne of Green Gables, I loved the name Anne and thought of myself as Audra Anne, but that didn't look right. I tried Audrianna, but that wasn't right, either!

Somewhere along the way, I grew to love the name Audra. It meant preserverence and strength (from bullying) and I liked it was noble. Other names I've liked, such as Brianna or the elvish Bellawen, also meant strong and noble and I thought that was cool. I really wouldn't change it now. It is me! I've taken the numerology test for fun (though I don't believe in that stuff) from the kalabarians and the meaning of Audra sounded just like me. I'm starting to find my name on things, and I've created things for myself thanks to the internet. My name never sounds sweeter than when my nieces and nephews call me Auntie Audra or Audra Ann! And it honors my grandparents.
My three favorite names for myself all start with A: Aethelwyne, Arianna, and Auntie Audra (or Lady A). I also love my surname, Morton, and it's Scottish heritage. I think Audra Ann Morton has a nice old-fashioned scottish ring to it. That's me!Laugh

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2012, 3:20am

Post #50 of 55 (72 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's pretty! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.