Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My thoughts (with major spoilers)

markdarb

Dec 12 2012, 4:14am

Views: 355
Shortcut
My thoughts (with major spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm lucky enough to live in New Zealand so I watched the movie today.

The characters were very endearing. There was some lovely bantering between Old Bilbo and Frodo. Smeagol was especially well played in the Riddles in the Dark scene. Young Bilbo exceeded my expectations. The scenes with the dwarves at Bag End were especially wonderful. Goblin-town made for a fun sequence.

Unfortunately, I felt let down by the additions to the story.

The worst was the addition of Azog as the overarching villain in the film. In Tolkien's Middle-earth, Azog had already been killed by Dain at the Battle of Azanulbizar, but the movie resurrects him and paints him as Thorin's archenemy. Early in the story there's the unnecessary addition of the dwarves being chased by Azog and his warg riders. The film culminates in a ridiculous reimagining of Out Of the Frying-Pan Into The Fire where Thorin climbs down from the tree (which incidentally is about to fall off a cliff), confronts Azog amidst the flames and almost dies.

I was really looking forward to the movie revealing lots of backstory about the orcs and dwarves, as well as integrating the story about the Necromancer and the White Council, but it felt to me like all the additions just bogged the film down.

Of course it's premature to pass judgment. I'm really looking forward to seeing how all the extra elements resolve themselves over the course of the trilogy.

My friends seemed to like the movie more than me. One of them thought the additions were good because they made the movie less predictable for people who have read the book.

I was disappointed by some cheesy special effects for the Arkenstone and the writing of the rune on Bilbo's front door.

I watched the movie in 48 fps. The jerkiness of 24 fps is something that has annoyed me for quite some time, so I was thrilled just to see the Warner Bros animation appear so smoothly. However, it became clear in the prologue that people's complaints about 48 fps peeling away the illusion of cinema, making everything look more like a TV movie, were fairly true. Certain sets (especially Dale) felt quite uncinematic at the high framerate. Like Peter Jackson says, it takes some getting used to. Slowly you come to notice the bizarre realism of 48 fps less and less. Where possible, I intend to watch movies at the high framerate from now on. Realism seems odd when you've been used to poor-quality cinema for so long, but I think it's worth getting used to.

In general 3D wasn't abused in the movie. The only exception in my mind was a troll's tooth which seemed to shatter into the audience. The combination of 48fps and 3D was certainly quite immersive.

It will be interesting to see what other people think of the film. While parts of it were brilliant, I found parts of it too melodramatic (in the vein of Hollywood not Tolkien), and I thought some of the tinkering with the history of Middle-earth was unnecessary. But such criticisms were also levelled at Lord of the Rings, which turned out to be both a critical and commercial success.

Subject User Time
Reviews, reviews, reviews! Username4242 Send a private message to Username4242 Dec 11 2012, 8:11pm
    From the Home Page: Tehanu's Review: Thumbs Up to a Richly Dramatic Telling Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Dec 11 2012, 8:13pm
        The music disappointed me though. The cues for what we should feel were too obvious, and I wanted more new themes Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Dec 11 2012, 9:27pm
            Didn't like it? Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Dec 11 2012, 9:36pm
                Video Review Jeremy Jahns BeornBerserker Send a private message to BeornBerserker Dec 11 2012, 9:47pm
                so Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Dec 11 2012, 9:52pm
                    Not really Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Dec 11 2012, 10:04pm
                        thanks Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Dec 11 2012, 10:11pm
                            . ElendurTheFaithful Send a private message to ElendurTheFaithful Dec 11 2012, 10:17pm
                                Nope frodolives Send a private message to frodolives Dec 11 2012, 10:40pm
                                No not at all. Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Dec 11 2012, 10:43pm
                                    Score ElendurTheFaithful Send a private message to ElendurTheFaithful Dec 11 2012, 11:20pm
                                        back to 62 at metacritic tied positive and mixed at 9 ElendurTheFaithful Send a private message to ElendurTheFaithful Dec 11 2012, 11:23pm
                                        For me on RT imin Send a private message to imin Dec 11 2012, 11:31pm
                                            Another mainly positive review :D Ecthelions Beard Send a private message to Ecthelions Beard Dec 11 2012, 11:36pm
                                                That review was negative - even the title - a ponderous journey imin Send a private message to imin Dec 11 2012, 11:45pm
                                                Normally when a nasty review makes comparisons to a star wars movie Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Dec 11 2012, 11:48pm
                                                Sounds negative, yet.. Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Dec 11 2012, 11:58pm
                                                    Maybe they wanted it to feel like the hobbit imin Send a private message to imin Dec 12 2012, 12:07am
                                        It's always a simple proportion Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Dec 12 2012, 12:02am
                            No problem :) Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Dec 12 2012, 12:33am
            i wonder unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 11 2012, 10:05pm
                i'm also curious unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 11 2012, 10:17pm
                    Oh god ElendurTheFaithful Send a private message to ElendurTheFaithful Dec 11 2012, 10:19pm
                        I suspect this “rehashing” of themes sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Dec 11 2012, 10:46pm
                        It's just in the process of updating - let it settle! Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Dec 11 2012, 10:50pm
            More on my objections to the music.... Tehanu Send a private message to Tehanu Dec 12 2012, 8:25pm
                i get where you're coming from... unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 12 2012, 8:45pm
        pretty amazing unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 11 2012, 9:49pm
    Thanks, Username4242 --> links to the previous seven threads inside Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Dec 11 2012, 8:19pm
        back up to 74% or RT ElendurTheFaithful Send a private message to ElendurTheFaithful Dec 11 2012, 8:55pm
            The status of the critics doesn't affect the percentage. Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Dec 11 2012, 9:09pm
                yes it does ElendurTheFaithful Send a private message to ElendurTheFaithful Dec 11 2012, 9:16pm
                    Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. Lacrimae Rerum Send a private message to Lacrimae Rerum Dec 11 2012, 9:47pm
    I haven't seen this review yet, from TORn's Arathorn? Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Dec 11 2012, 9:28pm
        It's on page three in Review Post #7 :-) // Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Dec 11 2012, 9:53pm
            Hard to keep up. BeornBerserker Send a private message to BeornBerserker Dec 11 2012, 9:56pm
            Thank you! Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Dec 11 2012, 10:11pm
    Here's a good review: Elutherian Send a private message to Elutherian Dec 11 2012, 10:41pm
        And another... Artemis Roach Send a private message to Artemis Roach Dec 12 2012, 1:52am
    A review from a Finnish newspaper (non spoilery), gives it three stars Elfhelm Send a private message to Elfhelm Dec 12 2012, 12:08am
        Trending - this is now officially an international meme. Artemis Roach Send a private message to Artemis Roach Dec 12 2012, 1:11am
    Another positive review!! ZackB Send a private message to ZackB Dec 12 2012, 1:27am
        wow - now that is a fantastically positive review! imin Send a private message to imin Dec 12 2012, 1:41am
            I'm glad I found it and posted it! ZackB Send a private message to ZackB Dec 12 2012, 3:22am
        Outstanding Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Dec 12 2012, 2:34am
    I don't know which score is more stressful to follow right now... thoon Send a private message to thoon Dec 12 2012, 2:02am
    Twitter responses have been astoundingly positive. Username4242 Send a private message to Username4242 Dec 12 2012, 2:03am
        Well, there you go. Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Dec 12 2012, 2:21am
        Thanks! morgul lord Send a private message to morgul lord Dec 12 2012, 2:39am
    Here's a copy of my review Lightice Send a private message to Lightice Dec 12 2012, 2:30am
        Fantastic review macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Dec 12 2012, 3:12am
        Thanks, Lightice Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Dec 12 2012, 3:13am
        Well... RalphDamiani Send a private message to RalphDamiani Dec 12 2012, 3:25am
            Yes. // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Dec 12 2012, 3:29am
        What does the Goblin King sing about, OOC? Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Dec 12 2012, 3:34am
            I don't remember, but macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Dec 12 2012, 3:54am
                Nice! Thx, looking forward to hearing Gandy utter it! // Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Dec 12 2012, 4:05am
        Thanks, this is a truly honest review. The best kind of review! ZackB Send a private message to ZackB Dec 12 2012, 3:39am
    Just saw the movie, my impressions Malornarys Send a private message to Malornarys Dec 12 2012, 4:13am
    My thoughts (with major spoilers) markdarb Send a private message to markdarb Dec 12 2012, 4:14am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.