Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Would you name your kids after Tolkien characters?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Would you name your kids after Tolkien characters?
View Results (128 votes)

Dec 4 2012, 7:13pm

Post #76 of 101 (526 views)
You're not actually missing much at all [In reply to] Can't Post

There's the reviews and a couple of new clips, but it's all pretty usual stuff! (Moaning and speculation). Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 4 2012, 7:16pm)

Superuser / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 7:29pm

Post #77 of 101 (524 views)
I'll summarise the forum for you: [In reply to] Can't Post

Reviews! Angst! Excitement! Got my tickets! And locked, duplicate threads.

Dec 4 2012, 7:44pm

Post #78 of 101 (492 views)
Hugh Hughes [In reply to] Can't Post

How ridiculous! I'm so glad my parents didn't load me down with something like that Cool

Dec 4 2012, 7:46pm

Post #79 of 101 (501 views)
And it's just the beginning! [In reply to] Can't Post

We still have 10 days to go! Laugh I'm not sure how I'll make it, and I'm sure you admins feel the same (though in a different way! Wink).

By the way, have you seen the movie already, Ataahua?

Dec 4 2012, 7:53pm

Post #80 of 101 (510 views)
I was in school [In reply to] Can't Post

With a family whose last name was Barr. They named their daughter Candy & son Clarke. My sister always said thank goodness they didn't name anyone Hershey, lol!

Dec 4 2012, 8:07pm

Post #81 of 101 (491 views)
Poor kids [In reply to] Can't Post

It's funny, sure, but I can't imagine actually giving someone those names for real!

Superuser / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 8:14pm

Post #82 of 101 (512 views)
Not yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

I face a long week before I finally get my tush into a cinema seat.

Dec 4 2012, 8:24pm

Post #83 of 101 (482 views)
Oh dear lord! [In reply to] Can't Post

How awful is that. Crazy

I have quite a "unique" surname too - we have fun coming up with names that would sound ridiculous (like your example). Wink

Dec 4 2012, 8:46pm

Post #84 of 101 (482 views)
Then... [In reply to] Can't Post

You have no problem with spoilers? I'm just wondering because it seems like admins have no choice in avoiding them if they want to Crazy

Superuser / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 8:54pm

Post #85 of 101 (465 views)
They're unavoidable, [In reply to] Can't Post

although I'm trying to learn the trick of scanning for non-TOS-like behaviour while glazing over movie details.

Dec 4 2012, 9:15pm

Post #86 of 101 (532 views)
I see I see [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't sounds particularly exciting, but we're all thankful for what you all do to keep the boards friendly. I've been lurking on a Star Wars forum since the Disney buy-out, and I must say, TORn is such a pleasant and family friendly place compared to those other places. Smile

Dec 4 2012, 10:22pm

Post #87 of 101 (472 views)
Stay strong! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure they're just discussing reviews, new clips, and descriptions of the movie based on the previous two.

We don't need reviews because we want to enjoy the movie on its own terms, not a critic's.

We don't need clips because we'd rather see them in their proper context rather than prejudging them and forming memories out of context.

We don't need descriptions of the movie because we want to experience in a fresh manner for the first time.

Maybe we need a support thread for all of us abstainers? Sly

I'm mostly trying to think about other things, and hopefully the 13th will be here before I know it...

Dec 4 2012, 10:27pm

Post #88 of 101 (484 views)
The thing I don't understand... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why Brooklyn and Suri? How would those names be made fun of?

I can understand with names like Waldo and Ralph and Moonunit and even something like Aragorn or Legolas. But what's to make fun of with Brooklyn or Suri? I think Brooklyn would work either as a boy's or a girl's name - it sounds like Brook, which is a normal girl's name, and it also represents a city considered to be tough, which would fit a boy well. Suri is just a non-English, non-Hebrew name - so what?

I'm not saying all unusual names are good. Just that there are a lot of decent ones and some that are on the fence. The right kid could pull off Aragorn pretty well. But there's a risk there.

Dec 4 2012, 10:49pm

Post #89 of 101 (469 views)
We need a group! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so used to the spoilers and speculation that this quitting cold turkey stuff has been difficult! Lol.

But you're right, we don't need reviews and clips and descriptions. But we do need a group! Perhaps I'll start a thread for all us hobbit board abstainers. Perhaps on main?

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 11:01pm

Post #90 of 101 (532 views)
The curmudgeonly English answer would be [In reply to] Can't Post

Because they aren't names. They are just words or in the case of Suri, a collection of letters.

Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 4:02am

Post #91 of 101 (533 views)
I have hearrd of a [In reply to] Can't Post

Candy Kane. And also a Crystal Shan Delier. Shocked

I really don't know what some parents are thinking. If I had kids, I would definitely do my best to avoid obvious mockery-material. I mean, even I had my name made fun of at school and it's nothing that unusual!

Dec 5 2012, 4:01pm

Post #92 of 101 (452 views)
But they are names! [In reply to] Can't Post

Suri is a perfectly traditional name for people in some parts of the world. English borrows names from other languages all the time. Hell, mostly English names are probably borrowed from other languages. Joshua is Hebrew. Charlotte is French. Alexander is Greek. Is it only ok to borrow European names?

Examples of real life people named Suri from long ago:

Brooklyn is a name, too. It's the name of a city. People are already familiar with the name Paris, so why not Brooklyn? And yes, I am aware that Paris was the name of a person long before it was the name of a city, but I really don't see a problem with naming people after cities. It sounds pretty good as a name!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 5 2012, 5:12pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2012, 7:30pm

Post #93 of 101 (467 views)
No not at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Suri is a borrowed name then that is deemed to be fine by grumpy Englishmen (though I have my doubts about it in this case!)

However I don't think calling a kid Bradford necessarily counts!

Dec 5 2012, 11:10pm

Post #94 of 101 (494 views)
to me [In reply to] Can't Post

they are just not good names, i know loads of people who laughed at the beckhams when they named their child brooklyn.

You like it, but i dont think its out of the question to have other people who think they are terrible names. Doesnt make me an old grumpy man as others may suggest, just means i dont like them Tongue

To me naming someone after a city is just naff and tasteless but if others want to do that then go for it, its just to me calling someone Brooklyn is as an appropriate name for someone as calling them Cockermouth (my home town) - could it be done? Yes. Is it a good idea? In my opinion no, but hey i wont have to say the name so it doesnt matter at the end of the day.

Sr. Staff

Dec 8 2012, 7:23am

Post #95 of 101 (426 views)
Already did: "Strider" {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande

Dec 8 2012, 3:21pm

Post #96 of 101 (451 views)
Your kid is the one that came to my mind. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 3:04am

Post #97 of 101 (488 views)
I can't answer for myself, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a girl in one of the kindergarten classes I interned in named Arwen (and she had two little sisters named Elanor and Rosie). When I told her she was named after a fantasy book, she shouted, "Lord of the Rings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (all those exclamation marks were in her voice) She was definitely one of the funniest kids I've taught.

Dec 16 2012, 6:22pm

Post #98 of 101 (554 views)
After reading the Hobbit I thought Durin wasn't a bad choice. It's not too odd but, different.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aethelwyne Bolger

Dec 19 2012, 1:30am

Post #99 of 101 (670 views)
I wanted to back in the 90's [In reply to] Can't Post

Before the whole world knew about Tolkien. I guess it's good I never had kids, because on the baby name sites the ones named for Arwen and Aragorn are always teased in school ( and I know how that feels!).
After the movies came out, I thought the name Lorien would be pretty for a child, but, alas, I had none of my own.
Now in the 80's and early 90's, I had goldfish named Strider, Whizzer (wizard), Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, if that counts!Tongue
I read a book when I was a teen about a troubled child who was in the foster system, and it was called The Great Gilly Hopkins. Her real name was Galadriel, and the social worker said, "God help the children of the flower children." I took that to mean, if I had a child named after a Tolkien character, I was a closet hippie. Darn right!

(This post was edited by Aethelwyne Bolger on Dec 19 2012, 1:31am)

The Shire

Jan 1 2013, 7:54pm

Post #100 of 101 (748 views)
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely. Ever since I read The Lord of the Rings, I've wanted to name any daughter of mine Eowyn. I don't think that's too outlandish a name, but being Indian, Eowyn + an Indian last name might be too incongruous (read: ridiculous)! Hopefully, by the time I get around to having kids, the world will have done away with last names.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.