Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Sad news: Ian McKellen has prostate cancer

stoutfiles
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 5:29pm

Post #1 of 22 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Sad news: Ian McKellen has prostate cancer Can't Post

He just recently announced he has prostate cancer, and has had it for six to seven years. Luckily, it is contained and not spreading.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/the-hobbits-sir-ian-mckellen-on-his-prostate-1483846

Best wishes Ian.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 11 2012, 7:14pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2012, 5:32pm

Post #2 of 22 (543 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

I don't want anything to happen to Sir Ian. Such a wonderful man and actor. I'm glad to hear it's contained. Hopefully it stays that way!

Best wishes Sir Ian. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 5:35pm

Post #3 of 22 (568 views)
Shortcut
Good grief, you scared the daylights out of me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had just heard about the cancer, thought maybe you were saying he had just made the Final Trip.

Blush

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 22 (549 views)
Shortcut
DON'T EVER [In reply to] Can't Post

put SAD NEWS with [OLD PERSON] in the same sentence cause people will assume worse.

although this is pretty bad and sad.

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 5:38pm

Post #5 of 22 (486 views)
Shortcut
Might be a good idea to change the thread title... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to something a bit less startling (if you can).

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 5:39pm

Post #6 of 22 (484 views)
Shortcut
It's good I read this earlier, otherwise that title would've scared me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sad news. Sending all my thoughts to him and his family.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 5:39pm

Post #7 of 22 (478 views)
Shortcut
Terrible news [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like he has it in control, though, and he seems as full of energy as ever. Judging by the full plate he has ahead of him the next couple of years, he's not letting it slow him down, either. Stay strong, Sir Ian!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 5:50pm

Post #8 of 22 (429 views)
Shortcut
re-washing pantaloons, eying pitchfork again. // [In reply to] Can't Post

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 6:16pm

Post #9 of 22 (368 views)
Shortcut
The title had me severely worried, but this is still inbcredibly saddening [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that Gandalf was such an inspirational person to me in my childhood, and still is now, I find it hard to imagine what life would be like without the real-life Wizard. It would certainly be a much darker place: the world as a whole will lose something when it loses Sir Ian McKellen. Aside from as Gandalf, he is such a genuinely kind, down-to-earth person: those who have had the pleasure of meeting him, even if only for a couple of minutes, know this first-hand.

I'm glad to hear that he's at least okay for the time being. My best wishes go out to him, and I hope that he is still able to enjoy his life as much as possible. He deserves it: he's made my life and the lives of so many others a better place.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 6:22pm

Post #10 of 22 (352 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue Didn't know about this and hope it stays in remission. Love him as Gandalf.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2012, 6:23pm

Post #11 of 22 (359 views)
Shortcut
DON'T scare me like that again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this is sad news, but there is something that could have been obviously worse!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 11 2012, 6:59pm

Post #12 of 22 (294 views)
Shortcut
Headlines [In reply to] Can't Post

A tad alarmist, no? It's what the tabloids would do.

It's good news because he has a condition which is under control. It's also not so dire as to be "sad news" because one in six men get it in their lifetime and only one in 35 die from it. Most prostate cancers are slow and not aggressive. Ninety-nine percent of men survive more than five years. Most are localized and do not spread. Recent studies indicate diagnosis and treatment themselves may be too aggressive. That Mr. McKellen has survived with it for six to seven years and is doing well probably indicates it has not spread. And that, folks, is good news indeed.

Let's be responsible with the headlines.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Dec 11 2012, 7:02pm)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 6:59pm

Post #13 of 22 (291 views)
Shortcut
Don't ever do that again [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading that title almost gave me a heart attack.

* crunch *

imin
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 7:03pm

Post #14 of 22 (284 views)
Shortcut
Very sad news [In reply to] Can't Post

My grandfather has it right now but his has metastasized (spread). It is much more common than people think and their needs to be much greater awareness of it as there has been with breast cancer.

I am a little puzzled why they havent removed the cancer but obviously they have their reasons (plus i havent read the article, lol).

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 7:11pm

Post #15 of 22 (257 views)
Shortcut
Can only admire him... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for being so positive about it and continuing to do the things he wants to do. Good luck and very best wishes to him.

Zherkezhi
Bree

Dec 11 2012, 7:52pm

Post #16 of 22 (223 views)
Shortcut
The good news: [In reply to] Can't Post

There is much strength in this man. All the best, Ian!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 7:56pm

Post #17 of 22 (204 views)
Shortcut
that gave me [In reply to] Can't Post

a bit of a shock. Frown just glad he is ok.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 8:29pm

Post #18 of 22 (207 views)
Shortcut
It is called "watchful waiting" [In reply to] Can't Post

If he is being closely followed, as he indicated, then he should be ok. Most men die from some other illness than from a slow growing prostate cancer. If things change, than he can receive treatment. Evidently, he does not have a high grade malignancy.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 12 2012, 1:28am

Post #19 of 22 (160 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the news earlier, which was still startling, but had I not already read it, I would've really been scared.

Best luck to Ian.

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Dec 12 2012, 12:24pm

Post #20 of 22 (124 views)
Shortcut
Now that I've recovered from my OMG moment [In reply to] Can't Post

... And sending heartfelt healing vibes through the ether to dear Serena ... I am curious about the timing of this announcement given that he's had it for several years.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Dec 15 2012, 12:17pm

Post #21 of 22 (69 views)
Shortcut
My guess is that [In reply to] Can't Post

he may have found out that the news was about to go public for whatever reason and he wanted to control the way that happened.

The very good news is that if you have to get cancer at all, prostate seems to be one of the more treatable kinds from everything I've read and known if it's found early - which is why it's important for guys of a certain age to get routine checkups for it the same way we gals should be getting mammograms once we hit 40 - maybe even more important because there is such a fantastic success rate with treatment when prostate is found early.

At any rate, I wish him well and good health.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2012, 7:30pm

Post #22 of 22 (255 views)
Shortcut
Goodness me :(. all the best for him, his family and friends! // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.